2014 Prediction Thread | Syracusefan.com

2014 Prediction Thread

outoftownie

2nd String
Did this last year and no one else bothered to follow suit. Woody, Jeremy, wvlax, Zack80 and all others please throw some predictions out.

Regular Season Record - 12-3
Final Record - 14-4
Most Points - Staats
Most Assists - Rice
Most Ground Balls - Harris
Best Faceoff Percentage (min 50 draws) - Paduda 51%
Most Penalty Minutes - Palasek
MVP - Staats
Head Heart Hustle - Grimm

Individual Game Predictions
Feb. 10 — vs. Siena WIN 14-9
Feb. 16 — vs. Albany WIN 16-14
Feb. 22 — vs. Maryland WIN 11-8
Feb. 28 — at Virginia LOSS 15-13
March 8 — vs. St. John's WIN 12-8
March 15 — at Johns Hopkins WIN 9-6
March 23 — at Duke WIN 11-10
March 29 — vs. Notre Dame WIN 8-6
April 2 — vs. Binghamton WIN 17-8
April 8 — at Cornell WIN 13-8
April 12 — vs. North Carolina LOSS 13-9
April 19 — at Hobart WIN 15-10
April 25-27 — ACC Tournament 1-1
May 3 — vs. Colgate WIN 18-8

I would take 51% FO right now, could very well be the difference between a good team and a championship this year.

Did this last year and no one else bothered to follow suit. Woody, Jeremy, wvlax, Zack80 and all others please throw some predictions out.

Final Record - 14-4
Most Points - Staats
Most Assists - Rice
MVP - Staats

Great idea outoftownie, going to need to give this some thoughts but will definitely give my thoughts.

When I look at the out-of-conference games, particularly Albany, JHU, St.John's, and Cornell who are all in the top 20, I would favor Syracuse in each one of these games. These teams are all going to be looking at beating Syracuse as a possible ticket to the NCAA tmt. Meanwhile Syracuse is playing so many tough games, that odds are they will come out flat in one of these games. So probably Syracuse will lose 1 of them.

The ACC with everyone in the top ten, makes it hard to predict which team one will win or lose too.
With such a tough schedule, I think 4 losses looks like par for Syracuse during the regular season (including the ACC tmt.).

Since you are looking for predictions, I will add mine, although I don't have near the knowledge of the game that many here do. I do love watching, though.

Regular season 12-3
ACC tourney 1-1
Final record 16-3

I am not picking individual losses. We have a very good team but the schedule is brutal, and we will lose a few. And at the end, why not an NCAA championship?

BTW, outoftownie, who do you think wins the tourney in May?

Regular season 11-4
ACC tourney 1-1
Final record 13-5

I just have a feeling that if we don't get X straightened out, it will hurt us more this season than last. Just a hunch that I hope is terribly, misguidedly wrong. :D

Regular Season (including ACC Tourney) 10-5
Final record 12-6

Individual Games
Siena W (won't be surprised if game is close)
Albany W
Maryland W
Virgina L
St John's W
Hopkins L
Duke L
Notre Dame W
Binghamton W
Cornell W
North Carolina L
Hobart W
ACC Tourney 1-1
Colgate W

NCAA Tourney 2-1

Biggest Concerns: Face-offs (hope the coaching staff doesn't wait too long to pull the plug on Daddio/Paduda/Buhr and try plan B or C if its not working out, also very interested to see how they fare against Fowler in the Duke game, and Keenan in Carolina game).
Replacing Megill on Defense,- he was an important leader on D
How much time will it take for this offense to be running on all cylinders (don't think it will happen overnight).

0-2 @ VA and @ Duke? Damn, those are the only games I was planning to get to. If I don't go, will that change the outcome? I'll gladly stay home if it means 2 more wins. ;)

Since you are looking for predictions, I will add mine, although I don't have near the knowledge of the game that many here do. I do love watching, though.

Regular season 12-3
ACC tourney 1-1
Final record 16-3

I am not picking individual losses. We have a very good team but the schedule is brutal, and we will lose a few. And at the end, why not an NCAA championship?

BTW, outoftownie, who do you think wins the tourney in May?

Not sure who wins it all, I just have a hard time seeing faceoffs not biting SU in the butt during the tournament. If I had to pick one team I would say Duke has a solid chance of repeating. They have a lot of the key components needed to win, veteran leaders, top line d-middies, faceoffs and they are the champs until they lose in May.

Regular season 12-3
ACC tourney 1-1
Final record 14-4

This is my " Hope I'm wrong" prediction and we even out the banners this year! Worried about FO's in the tourney. We were the better team last year against duke until the second half and it cost us big!

Alright I need to get this under the wire:

Regular Season Record - 13-3
Final Record - 16-3 - National Champions
Most Points - Staats and Donahue
Most Assists - Rice
Best Faceoff Percentage (min 50 draws) - Paduda or Demarco
MVP - Staats or Maltz ( could have a monster year)
Head Heart Hustle - Galasso (if healthy if not Evans)

Feb. 10 — vs. Siena WIN
Feb. 16 — vs. Albany Tossup
Feb. 22 — vs. Maryland WIN
Feb. 28 — at Virginia Toss up
March 8 — vs. St. John's WIN
March 15 — at Johns Hopkins WIN
March 23 — at Duke LOSS
March 29 — vs. Notre Dame WIN
April 2 — vs. Binghamton WIN
April 8 — at Cornell WIN
April 12 — vs. North Carolina LOSS
April 19 — at Hobart WIN
April 25-27 — ACC Tournament 3-0 OR 2-0
May 3 — vs. Colgate WIN

I think we will struggle a litte bit early, could see losing to Albany and if were not careful UVA or Maryland (both teams are good). Really wish we were playing Army in the second game of the year to help this team get its feet underneath them. Think the X is still the biggest question mark by far, need to get Paduda healthy ASAP. As someone else mentioned if Daddio struggles as expected I hope Desko pulls the trigger quick especially against Duke, JHU, and UNC who have good faceoff guys. But ALbany and UVA as toss ups because honestly I could easily see us winning or losing those game. JHU has a good faceoff guy but I think there still no where near as good as they once were. Think UVA is a year away to, not enough offense. In the end if we can get a legit 45% at the X or better this team should win it all, to much O firepower especially if Galasso ever gets on the field for more then 4 minutes.

Final Record - 14-4
Most Points - Staats
Most Assists - Rice
MVP - Staats

Agreed with a lot of your pre-season thoughts, I think were mostly on the same page.

Alright I need to get this under the wire:

Regular Season Record - 13-3
Final Record - 16-3 - National Champions
Most Points - Staats and Donahue
Most Assists - Rice
Best Faceoff Percentage (min 50 draws) - Paduda or Demarco
MVP - Staats or Maltz ( could have a monster year)
Head Heart Hustle - Galasso (if healthy if not Evans)

Feb. 10 — vs. Siena WIN
Feb. 16 — vs. Albany Tossup
Feb. 22 — vs. Maryland WIN
Feb. 28 — at Virginia Toss up
March 8 — vs. St. John's WIN
March 15 — at Johns Hopkins WIN
March 23 — at Duke LOSS
March 29 — vs. Notre Dame WIN
April 2 — vs. Binghamton WIN
April 8 — at Cornell WIN
April 12 — vs. North Carolina LOSS
April 19 — at Hobart WIN
April 25-27 — ACC Tournament 3-0 OR 2-0
May 3 — vs. Colgate WIN

I think we will struggle a litte bit early, could see losing to Albany and if were not careful UVA or Maryland (both teams are good). Really wish we were playing Army in the second game of the year to help this team get its feet underneath them. Think the X is still the biggest question mark by far, need to get Paduda healthy ASAP. As someone else mentioned if Daddio struggles as expected I hope Desko pulls the trigger quick especially against Duke, JHU, and UNC who have good faceoff guys. But ALbany and UVA as toss ups because honestly I could easily see us winning or losing those game. JHU has a good faceoff guy but I think there still no where near as good as they once were. Think UVA is a year away to, not enough offense. In the end if we can get a legit 45% at the X or better this team should win it all, to much O firepower especially if Galasso ever gets on the field for more then 4 minutes.

Good Call on Donahue finishing with the most points... He and Rice simply have to be on the field... They are dynamic... Filter in the Staats, Maltz's, Galasso's, Evans, etc., and if we can just get the ball, who will stop us??

Some of those Maryland game predictions above aren't looking too good. I knew this would be a tough game for Syracuse. Under Tillman, Maryland has tended to play better in big games on the road - beat Duke 16-7 in Durham last spring. Also Raffa is a pretty good face-off man.

I don't think UVa's face-off men are as good, so Syracuse might match up better with them.

Even though the ACC has had four top teams in it for the past 5 or 6 years, one-sided results have been fairly common, and often don't mean that much - other than a win.

one-sided results have been fairly common, and often don't mean that much - other than a win.

I want to believe that, but feel that some deficiencies moving forward have been exposed. Some are correctable, perhaps, but the situation at the X continues.

Did this last year and no one else bothered to follow suit...

Individual Game Predictions (revisions included)
Feb. 10 — vs. Siena WIN 14-9 nice
Feb. 16 — vs. Albany WIN 16-14 close enough
Feb. 22 — vs. Maryland WIN 11-8 not so much
Feb. 28 — at Virginia LOSS 15-13 missed by a few
March 8 — vs. St. John's WIN 12-8 nice
March 15 — at Johns Hopkins WIN 9-6 nice
March 23 — at Duke WIN 11-10 holy
March 29 — vs. Notre Dame WIN 8-6 (revised loss 14-7)
April 2 — vs. Binghamton WIN 17-8 (sticking with it)
April 8 — at Cornell WIN 13-8 (revised loss 12-9)
April 12 — vs. North Carolina LOSS 13-9 (yep)
April 19 — at Hobart WIN 15-10 (ok)
April 25-27 — ACC Tournament 1-1 (revised 1-0, winner in losers game)
May 3 — vs. Colgate WIN 18-8 (hopeful, win 12-8)

Regular season revised record...8-6. Hopefully it is enough to get us in the dance.

I doubt it. Lose to ND, Carolina and Cornell. No chance for the dance.

Season is pretty much over if we lose to ND.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom