2016-17 Coaching Carousel | Page 28 | Syracusefan.com

2016-17 Coaching Carousel

Narduzzi was a DC at michigan state.
How did I mess that up? <blush>
Info and stats have been updated. Thanks!

Last edited:
OK, but the quoted sentence made no reference to the Northeast.

But, I'll play along...

FBS Northeast Football Coaches
Army : Jeff Monken - O
BCU : Dazzler - O
Buffalo : Lance Leipold - O
Yukon : ??
Maryland : DJ Durkin - D
Massachusetts: Mark Whipple - O
Navy : Ken Niumatalolo - O
PSU : James Franklin - O
Pitt : Pat Narduzzi - D
Rutgers : Chris Ash - D
Syracuse : Dino Babers - O
Temple : Geoff Collins - D

Summary
O - 7 (58%)
D - 4 (25%)
? - 1

Expanded Northeast Football Coaches
If you want to expand the definition of Northeast a bit to include Ohio (as you referenced Fickell) and our other former NE football rival's state then we add:

Akron : Terry Bowden - O
Bowling Green : Mike Jinks - O
Cincinnati : Luke Fickell - D
Kent State : Paul Haynes - D
Marshall : Doc Holliday - O
Miami (O) : Chuck Martin - O (ND OC before becoming Miami HC)
Ohio : Frank Solich - O
O$U : Urban Meyer - O
Toledo : Jason Candle - O
WVU : Dana Holgorsen - O

Grand Total
O - 15 (68%)
D - 6 (33%)
? - 1

In short, you listed 4 of the 6 defensive oriented head coaches in the Northeast, while ignoring the 16 offensive oriented head coaches. 33% is even less than "everyone". :)

Don't worry, it's a common human trait to focus on the evidence that you feel supports your position. ;)

Edit: updated info & stats due to erroneously listing a D coach as O. See, I may have fallen into the same trap. ;)
Interesting info. I did reference the Northeast in the comment you quoted. I didn't directly state I was talking about new head coach hires from the Northeast but would hope it was implied.

I would throw out about 90% of your data since it is old. Solich was hired in 2005, Niumatalolo in 2007, Holiday in 2009, etc.

And FYI, it is looking close to official that another defensive oriented coach is coming on board to a school in the Northeast.

Report: Randy Edsall Will Return As Head Coach Of UConn Football Team In 2017

UConn grew up on 3rd base as a D-1 program. They were given membership into a BCS conference while other programs which had played D-1 a lot longer where midmajors.

It is not impressive with all those advantages of not paying your dues that the max of your achievement is going 8-4 in a league that was pathetic. UConn is not a threat to us. They are below us in an inferior league and have less talent than we do. Edsall we get them to 6-6/7-5/8-4 because their conference doesn't have any superpowers and they can schedule wins and become bowl eligible.

Consider me unimpressed. BTW no if Edsall did 2010-2014 what he did at Syracuse we would call that the 1990s.
We have sucked for a decade because Coach P stopped recruiting, we hired two over their head coordinators and our administration F'ed over Marrone with spending.

The Bowls are the freaking International Bowl/Belk Bowl/Papa Johns Bowl. He went to the Fiesta Bowl at 8-4 by winning the Big East at 5-2 in the worst year ever for a BCS league and basically killed the future of BE Football.

Edsall would be great for Syracuse at UConn because he would keep them mediocre and non-threat.

So, answer me this: why did we try and hire him before Marrone if he's such a dud of a coach? I think we have Rutgers/Uconn deficiency syndrome sometimes. Both those programs have been better than Syracuse since our last 10 win season. I want to be the better program again. If one of those programs is incrementally better again (no matter the conf), it's not good for Syracuse.

how is that embarassing? he was def their best coach ever and got them to a BCS game. The guy beat us pretty good as well during his time at UConn. If you are a Syracuse fan, this is the worst possible hire b/c he can win at UConn and was able to find NFL talent to play there.
You must have forgotten how he left them.

So, answer me this: why did we try and hire him before Marrone if he's such a dud of a coach? I think we have Rutgers/Uconn deficiency syndrome sometimes. Both those programs have been better than Syracuse since our last 10 win season. I want to be the better program again. If one of those programs is incrementally better again (no matter the conf), it's not good for Syracuse.
The answer is Dr. Daryl Gross liked Edsall.
Gross didn't hire good HCs. He got overruled on hiring Marrone and he hired Robinson and Shafer.
Those schools you listed have been mediocre we have sucked. I am not jealous of either program. I want a competent program which I feel we finally have because of Dino.

Who are they going to get at this late date? This is probably a stop gap until they can get their house in order. Hope Edsall can firm up the program and move on in a few years. That said if I was there fan base I would not be thrilled. Take a flyer on a lower level guy rather than retread.

It's 2am in a bar, and the lights just went on. A former couple are the only ones left. He left her for a hotter chick, but the hottie dumped him. She's been dating losers and only remembers the good times with this guy.

They're now going to hook up again because they're drunk and don't want to go home alone.

That's how this Edsall re-hire feels.

You must have forgotten how he left them.

I always felt that Randy was a very good coach. I thought he beat the heck out of us when he was at UConn. And, I have to admit, I wanted him to return to Syracuse after Greg Robinson was fired.

I guess the UConn fans would have to look at it the same way the Louisville fans looked at it when Petrino returned. I am not suggesting that Edsall is Petrino, but Randy did raise the level of the program and did get the Huskies to the Fiesta Bowl.

I can't argue with the idea of bringing him back.

Edsall is 3 years older than Dino Babers. Isn't a stout recruiter. Bombastically left UConn in 2010 but yeah he is getting the UConn job.
Burton basically paid for this.
Edsall has a horrible personality and doesn't have a dynamic offensive system but yeah this hire sucks for Syracuse.
UConn basically tied their next 5 years to Edsall making them Temple now.

I always felt that Randy was a very good coach. I thought he beat the heck out of us when he was at UConn. And, I have to admit, I wanted him to return to Syracuse after Greg Robinson was fired.

I guess the UConn fans would have to look at it the same way the Louisville fans looked at it when Petrino returned. I am not suggesting that Edsall is Petrino, but Randy did raise the level of the program and did get the Huskies to the Fiesta Bowl.

I can't argue with the idea of bringing him back.
Does Edsall allow facial hair?

Edsall is 3 years older than Dino Babers. Isn't a stout recruiter. Bombastically left UConn in 2010 but yeah he is getting the UConn job.
Burton basically paid for this.
Edsall has a horrible personality and doesn't have a dynamic offensive system but yeah this hire sucks for Syracuse.
UConn basically tied their next 5 years to Edsall making them Temple now.

He's a step up from Diaco (who isn't), but man how angry do you have to be if you're a Uconn fan? A guy who left your program on a runway in Tempe, Arizona to go to his "Dream job" in College Park is actually re-hired? I get Uconn doesn't have much choice, but man if you're going to go re-tread, at least try for Les Miles or even Al Golden (who can atleast recruit).

Not to mention, Edsall was very Schiano "smoke and mirrors". For those of us who are good at peeling back the onion a bit, he really, really had little in the way of signature wins. I read that over his 16 years coaching at the FBS level, that he won 1 win against a ranked team. Is that possible?

In any event, good news for us, and embarrassing for Uconn to (a) take back a guy who turned its back on your program and (b) actually consider that Edsall were the "glory years".

Middle Tennessee:
Source tells FootballScoop defensive coordinator Tyrone Nix will not return. Receivers coach Kez McCorvey will also not return. We hear an additional change might be coming as well. Will update as more is clear…

Boneyard is in meltdown mode.
e3f4751a093df23c71a9e345da2ae70a.jpg

He's a step up from Diaco (who isn't), but man how angry do you have to be if you're a Uconn fan? A guy who left your program on a runway in Tempe, Arizona to go to his "Dream job" in College Park is actually re-hired? I get Uconn doesn't have much choice, but man if you're going to go re-tread, at least try for Les Miles or even Al Golden (who can atleast recruit).

Not to mention, Edsall was very Schiano "smoke and mirrors". For those of us who are good at peeling back the onion a bit, he really, really had little in the way of signature wins. I read that over his 16 years coaching at the FBS level, that he won 1 win against a ranked team. Is that possible?

In any event, good news for us, and embarrassing for Uconn to (a) take back a guy who turned its back on your program and (b) actually consider that Edsall were the "glory years".

To be fair I saw on this board people wanted Marrone back as HC once Shafer was fired - then again once Coyle left for AD.

We are better than both of them right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom