2016-17 What does this team need to go all the way? | Syracusefan.com

2016-17 What does this team need to go all the way?

CaliCuse

All American
Your thoughts. I've stated my thinking on this and its not all that much.

First we can't lose anymore players to the NBA . Malachi both Tylers. The addition of a "5" to back upChukwu and at least one more pg.They and the returning players should be highly rated in the pre-season polls and magazines. Given Battles and Moyer contribution I think its fair to say Jimmy has a shot BUT the loss of Trevor and Gbinije the 3 point strategy must be adjusted. The shooters just aren't there. Add the body building that sa few players should display in aaMIDNIGHT MADNESS! The players who must show some of the added muscle aren't just Lydon and Chukwu Malachi and Howard both need get their work in this off season. I expect improvement in the over all game for Roberson as well. Howard will need to develop a medium range shot at the very least.Coleman could stand to gain strength while losing a few ponds to make him quicker inside.

We need Tyus Battle to give us 80% of what G gave
We need Frank Howard to continue to improve, and be a legit, reliable handler for 20-25 minutes a game
We need Malachi Richardson to stay one more year, and improve his shot consistency, free throw shooting, and mid-range
We need Tyler Lydon to be able to play the 3 and 4. He needs to be able to put the ball on the floor and take it to the hoop. Draw fouls, improve mid-range.
We need Tyler Roberson to play like he did in the NCAAT for the entire season... Well at least the big games. Need him to be Dennis Rodman against the Dukes, UNCs, UVAs, and next postseason. We need 12 RPG and 65% FT from him.
We need DaJuan Coleman to be able to play 15-20 minutes at center and get more rebounds. He needs to take up space, bang the big bodies down low, and not clog the middle on offense.
We need Paschal Chukwu to be a step between Fab Melo's freshman and sophomore seasons. Asking him to be a 2011-2012 Fab is too much, and asking him to be a 2010-2011 Fab would be worthless. We need him to know the zone, block shots, get rebounds, and be able to catch alley-oops and put-back slams.

If all of this happens, and we get Mullins and/or Thompson, we'll be a top 5 team.

We need Frank Howard to continue to improve, and be a legit, reliable handler for 20-25 minutes a game
We need Malachi Richardson to stay one more year, and improve his shot consistency, free throw shooting, and mid-range
We need Tyler Lydon to be able to play the 3 and 4. He needs to be able to put the ball on the floor and take it to the hoop. Draw fouls, improve mid-range.
We need Tyler Roberson to play like he did in the NCAAT for the entire season... Well at least the big games. Need him to be Dennis Rodman against the Dukes, UNCs, UVAs, and next postseason. We need 12 RPG and 65% FT from him.
We need DaJuan Coleman to be able to play 15-20 minutes at center and get more rebounds. He needs to take up space, bang the big bodies down low, and not clog the middle on offense.
We need Paschal Chukwu to be a step between Fab Melo's freshman and sophomore seasons. Asking him to be a 2011-2012 Fab is too much, and asking him to be a 2010-2011 Fab would be worthless. We need him to know the zone, block shots, get rebounds, and be able to catch alley-oops and put-back slams.

If all of this happens, and we get Mullins and/or Thompson, we'll be a top 5 team.
It's funny -- that looks like a big list. But to me everything is perfectly reasonable -- the only 2 things that might happen is Battle being 80% of G and Chukwu being Fab. Not saying those things can't happen, but out of your list those are the 2 things that will be the most unpredictable.

It's funny -- that looks like a big list. But to me everything is perfectly reasonable -- the only 2 things that might happen is Battle being 80% of G and Chukwu being Fab. Not saying those things can't happen, but out of your list those are the 2 things that will be the most unpredictable.
Yup definitely - and it's only because we haven't seen them play at this level yet. I think each item on that list, individually at least, is definitely possible.

Luck
Luck
Luck
Luck
Luck

...and maybe a Melo (either a Carmelo or Fab will do).

We are phasing in some more alpha males these days, though. People actually want to put a ball in a hole again.

Great post, this is the way i see it (except i think we may already have our 8 man rotation without adding anyone new, but if we add an addititional guy like Mullins or Dembele its gravy). I agree Battle does not have to be G but he has to be pretty darn good. I cant wait to see Mal, TL , Frank, Pascal as sophs! JB seems possibly more excited for Pascals soph season than he was for Fabs? I think Duk is beyond loaded but if you match CUSE up position to position w duk, i think you ll see we are right there. Go Cuse!

Great post, this is the way i see it (except i think we may already have our 8 man rotation without adding anyone new, but if we add an addititional guy like Mullins or Dembele its gravy). I agree Battle does not have to be G but he has to be pretty darn good. I cant wait to see Mal, TL , Frank, Pascal as sophs! JB seems possibly more excited for Pascals soph season than he was for Fabs? I think Duk is beyond loaded but if you match CUSE up position to position w duk, i think you ll see we are right there. Go Cuse!
I'm very high on Battle but asking him to replicate Gbinije's production is really asking a lot. To put G in perspective, imagine him playing high school basketball this year, as a 6'6 PG with his shooting ability and athleticism. He'd be a top 5 player coming out of HS. Of course we know G was a 5th year senior, but that's what we're hoping Battle can do as a true freshman. Unlikely, but if he even gets close to that, we'll have a stud on our hands and he'll be able to take the keys from day 1 without too many headaches.

I'm very high on Battle but asking him to replicate Gbinije's production is really asking a lot. To put G in perspective, imagine him playing high school basketball this year, as a 6'6 PG with his shooting ability and athleticism. He'd be a top 5 player coming out of HS. Of course we know G was a 5th year senior, but that's what we're hoping Battle can do as a true freshman. Unlikely, but if he even gets close to that, we'll have a stud on our hands and he'll be able to take the keys from day 1 without too many headaches.
Yep score some points when the opp is there, involve others, play serious D, limit silly turnovers and play like a sophomore by March. Its asking a lot but i like Kid Mambas chances

2016-2017 was always going to be "the year". Battle in the mix, Frank with a year under his belt, Lydon ready to explode, TRob coming into his own as a senior and a 7'2 center to anchor the middle. Assuming Malachi comes back -- watch out. That's all.

Great post. This is exactly what we need.

I like the Fab comps, and I agree with expectations for Chewy there. While we're at it, I'd take Brandon's Soph year from Tyus next year. It may not be 80% of G, but I think this would still make the team formidable:

GP-GS MPG PPG FG% RPG APG TPG SPG BPG
35-35 28.8 11.1 42% 2.7 2.9 2.1 0.8 0.1

I think you have vastly overstated what is needed. It can be boiled down to this:
1. Have everyone who is available come back -which at this point looks like it is now Mal.
2. Have Battle live up to the hype, especially as an offensive weapon.
3. Have PC be a defensive force.

It would be nice for other things to happen, ie Mullins(?) or Thompson develop - but that is more for future years. TR does not need to be Rodman. Lydon does not need to master the 3. DC2 does not have to play 20 mpgs. We may not need FH for 25 mpgs.

Get Mal back here and have Battle be the player we hope he can be and this team should be a force next year.

We need our young players to understand what a good shot is and not be hesitating and surprised when they get a good shot They also must learn to concentrate when finishing at the rim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom