Class of 2018 - 2018 Grad Transfers | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 2018 Grad Transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I know. Just my personal preference even of there's no interest from the staff in doing that. I just hate the idea of Sidibe's knee giving out one game in and being short handed again.

I'd still like to bring in a grad big man for next year. I know you aren't getting anyone great to come in as the likely 3rd C, but maybe someone without pro aspersions that actually wants a free grad degree, has size, and could give ya 10 min and 5 fouls were injury or foul trouble to hit. There's no downside, but it doesn't seem to be something we're going to pursue.
You may as well be asking for a unicorn for Christmas.

I'd still like to bring in a grad big man for next year. I know you aren't getting anyone great to come in as the likely 3rd C, but maybe someone without pro aspersions that actually wants a free grad degree, has size, and could give ya 10 min and 5 fouls were injury or foul trouble to hit. There's no downside, but it doesn't seem to be something we're going to pursue.
Sounds good, but it would be bloody difficult to find a player who fits your description.

F/C Christian Mekowulu is an interesting name from that list. Averaged 12.7 ppg, 7.9 rpg last season. Good size at 6-9, 245 pounds. Guessing he probably wouldn't want to come as a second or third wheel... unless he wants to make an NCAA run on the big stage!

Last edited:
You may as well be asking for a unicorn for Christmas.

Not necessarily a "unicorn." Doesn't mean that there is a good candidate out there, though.

Ideally it would be a 4 who could play 5 if need be, who wouldn't mind coming off the bench. That literally is the team's only minor depth gap at this point.

Not sure if the coaching staff would go down the grad transfer route again, but if they could add one just to stack depth a little more, the team would be absolutely loaded. But this would be a guy who would be looking at a substantially uphill climb for PT, and not much of it available [barring injury] on paper. Maybe that's why you labelled it a unicorn? I'm thinking someone in the Kristoff Onganet mold who has the right athletic tools but understands that they are really just coming along for the ride, but capable of helping in a pinch.

Last edited:
Syracuse trying to recruit a grad transfer center right now would be like trying to hire an employee at 30% below their market value and telling them there’s a 10% chance they could make more than they did at their previous company in 6-12 months.

Syracuse trying to recruit a grad transfer center right now would be like trying to hire an employee at 30% below their market value and telling them there’s a 10% chance they could make more than they did at their previous company in 6-12 months.

Not necessarily. It could be a reserve big who's got some athletic upside playing at a lower level, who just wants to be a part of an NCAA squad that has the potential to make a run. Said player doesn't have to be a big scorer gunning for a starting role -- he ain't gonna get that here. Rebound, play defense, block some shots, work hard in practice, and be ready if we have injuries or your number gets called for some other unforeseen reason.

That's why I referred to Onganet above -- he came here never expecting to play, and was essentially brought in to be a practice body. Then we had some injuries, and he ended up playing.

Not necessarily. It could be a reserve big who's got some athletic upside playing at a lower level, who just wants to be a part of an NCAA squad that has the potential to make a run. Said player doesn't have to be a big scorer gunning for a starting role -- he ain't gonna get that here. Rebound, play defense, block some shots, work hard in practice, and be ready if we have injuries or your number gets called for some other unforeseen reason.

That's why I referred to Onganet above -- he came here never expecting to play, and was essentially brought in to be a practice body. Then we had some injuries, and he ended up playing.
Don't want to be contentious, but. . .how do you know that Ongenaet never expected to play?

Don't want to be contentious, but. . .how do you know that Ongenaet never expected to play?
Kristof was a late addition -- added after Hopkins saw some video. Was not a highly regarded recruit, but the staff recognized that he had underrated athleticism and thought that he'd be a good practice player for that reason. We had the room, so they brought him in. Kris was cool with that role, until injuries and depth constraints pushed him out onto the floor.

I think we’d need to have someone fall in Boeheims lap for this to happen.

Possibly literally.

have board insiders indicated that no further players are being looked at in the 5th year market? So many posts, I may have missed, that is why I am asking. I would love this team if we had a low post scoring/rebounding threat. That still feels like a hole in our team to me.

have board insiders indicated that no further players are being looked at in the 5th year market? So many posts, I may have missed, that is why I am asking. I would love this team if we had a low post scoring/rebounding threat. That still feels like a hole in our team to me.
Repeat after me: Bourama Sidibe. (Knee willing, of course.)

Repeat after me: Bourama Sidibe. (Knee willing, of course.)
Fair enough but even knee willing, 2.7 points and 3 rebounds per does not mean that we dont try and bring another from a 5th year standpoint does it? I think Sidibe is a nice program guy where in years 4/5 he is a potential 12/9 guy but given the team we have this upcoming season, I just was wondering if a 5th year piece there might solidify our top 10 talk I am hearing, thats all.

Kristof was a late addition -- added after Hopkins saw some video. Was not a highly regarded recruit, but the staff recognized that he had underrated athleticism and thought that he'd be a good practice player for that reason. We had the room, so they brought him in. Kris was cool with that role, until injuries and depth constraints pushed him out onto the floor.
Kid made the most of his minutes too ... left half his skin on the hardwood.

Fair enough but even knee willing, 2.7 points and 3 rebounds per does not mean that we dont try and bring another from a 5th year standpoint does it? I think Sidibe is a nice program guy where in years 4/5 he is a potential 12/9 guy but given the team we have this upcoming season, I just was wondering if a 5th year piece there might solidify our top 10 talk I am hearing, thats all.

I think you’re sleeping on sidibe a bit. He can be closer to 12/9 this year than 3/3 if he’s healthy.

Give it up, guys. JB isn’t going to bring in a 5th year transfer to upset the current great team chemistry.

Not necessarily a "unicorn." Doesn't mean that there is a good candidate out there, though.

Ideally it would be a 4 who could play 5 if need be, who wouldn't mind coming off the bench. That literally is the team's only minor depth gap at this point.
I follow grad transfers really closely (The gradtransfertracker site that Shark linked to is mine). There's a fine, fine line between ACC quality and warm body. I don't think there's a quality player left on the market who would both be willing to be 3rd string and could make a meaningful contribution deep in the conference season. Even if Dolezaj is playing emergency center, at least we know he won't be a black hole on offense.

I follow grad transfers really closely (The gradtransfertracker site that Shark linked to is mine). There's a fine, fine line between ACC quality and warm body. I don't think there's a quality player left on the market who would both be willing to be 3rd string and could make a meaningful contribution deep in the conference season. Even if Dolezaj is playing emergency center, at least we know he won't be a black hole on offense.

I don't understand why SU wouldn't be attractive to a player that would want to get his masters there while being on a very good team. A big body that doesn't play much for an average team that would accept his role as 3rd string on SU. I'm just worried about Sid's knee and Dolezaj being the 2nd string center due to that. I'd be fine with Dolezaj being 3rd string C.

I don't understand why SU wouldn't be attractive to a player that would want to get his masters there while being on a very good team. A big body that doesn't play much for an average team that would accept his role as 3rd string on SU. I'm just worried about Sid's knee and Dolezaj being the 2nd string center due to that. I'd be fine with Dolezaj being 3rd string C.
Because the limited number of guys on the market want a chance to maximize their playing time and ability to play professionally, not get the MBA they can get at any point in the next 50 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom