2019 Fall Ball ... | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

2019 Fall Ball ...

I would rather have him at LSM to but there will be games where he will be much more valuable as close then at LSM. The the staff will likely take it on a game by game basis. Perfect example is UVA. As good as Aiken is at midfield SU lost that game because Mellen could only cover one person. This year I suspect Mellen will mark Moore again and Kennedy will take Kraus which is what I believe SU did late and had some success with. Same thing when they play Albany. Why waste him chasing around a mediocore at best midfield when Albany's power is all at attack. There were multiple games last year when Kennedy bumped down and with Bomberry gone I suspect he will see even more time there this year. Fernandez Helmer and the Frosh are more then capable against most midfields save for a few.

again...disagree. especially with that last sentence. Helmer should be a SSDM for the defense to be at its best. We have no idea whether Fernandez and the frosh are more than capable against most midfields. Most teams 1sts are pretty good. Maybe there are extreme exceptions that warrant Kennedy bumping down, but I bet he plays 90% or more at pole, as he should.

again...disagree. especially with that last sentence. Helmer should be a SSDM for the defense to be at its best. We have no idea whether Fernandez and the frosh are more than capable against most midfields. Most teams 1sts are pretty good. Maybe there are extreme exceptions that warrant Kennedy bumping down, but I bet he plays 90% or more at pole, as he should.

I hear ya but we will have to agree to disagree then on this issue. He's to valuable a defender to play most of his time at LSM especially with Fernandez who is an excellent LSM in his own right. Dearths never coming off the field so you have 1 other SSDM slot with about a half dozen guys including Helmer who will rotate between both.

I would rather have him at LSM to but there will be games where he will be much more valuable as close then at LSM. The the staff will likely take it on a game by game basis. Perfect example is UVA. As good as Aiken is at midfield SU lost that game because Mellen could only cover one person. This year I suspect Mellen will mark Moore again and Kennedy will take Kraus which is what I believe SU did late and had some success with. Same thing when they play Albany. Why waste him chasing around a mediocore at best midfield when Albany's power is all at attack. There were multiple games last year when Kennedy bumped down and with Bomberry gone I suspect he will see even more time there this year. Fernandez Helmer and the Frosh are more then capable against most midfields save for a few.

I think Albany is a good reason why we do not want Kennedy at close - neither he nor Mellen are a good matchup for Nanticoke, I would rather have DiPietro or Staats on him. Bomberry is not a better defender than Mellen, but in that match-up I would take Bomberry 10/10 times. I feel like last year's playoff game could have gone much differently had they moved Bomberry to Spencer.

In regards to UVA, I think if we had moved Kennedy to close, it would have been Aiken doing damage against SU rather than Krause. Sometimes teams just have bad matchups, and most teams did last year with the Hoos. I think on the whole most teams have a pretty good balance between attack and midfield.

Sorry if I am wrong on the redshirt rules.

You can play in a preseason scrimmage and still redshirt.

12.8.3.1.4 Preseason Exhibitions/Preseason Practice Scrimmages.
A student-athlete may compete in preseason exhibition contests and preseason practice scrimmages (as permitted in the particular sport per Bylaw 17) without counting such competition as a season of competition. (Revised: 5/9/06, 7/31/14, 4/26/17 may be applied retroactively to a student-athlete with eligibility remaining in his or her five-year period of eligibility)

EDIT: the rule was revised in 2017. It applies to everyone now, not just freshmen.

I think Albany is a good reason why we do not want Kennedy at close - neither he nor Mellen are a good matchup for Nanticoke, I would rather have DiPietro or Staats on him. Bomberry is not a better defender than Mellen, but in that match-up I would take Bomberry 10/10 times. I feel like last year's playoff game could have gone much differently had they moved Bomberry to Spencer.

In regards to UVA, I think if we had moved Kennedy to close, it would have been Aiken doing damage against SU rather than Krause. Sometimes teams just have bad matchups, and most teams did last year with the Hoos. I think on the whole most teams have a pretty good balance between attack and midfield.

Sorry if I am wrong on the redshirt rules.

Disagree on Albany, outside of Bomberry who is gone, Kennedy possesses the size and strength at least in my mind to cover him. Probably not as well as Bomberry did last year (that was a clinic) but I would roll with Kennedy their before Mellen or really anyone else on the roster at this point with Staats hurt. I do agree with moving Bomberry or Kennedy to Spencer in that Loyola game, leaving Mellen to die on the vine out there was not a good move. Albany may not have been the best example with Nanticoke but I think you get my point. Another good example is Rutgers. SU finally got a handle on that game defensively when Kennedy got bumped down and took on Charalambies and we slowed their attack. Not saying he needs to play close every game but when teams have a really dynamic attack Kennedy is a huge asset because Mellen doesn't always match up with the #1attackmen depending on size, who the initiator is etc

Only one scrimmage so reserving judgements but do wish D unit were at full strength for auditions. 4 viable close defense candidates were on sidelines and appears that 3 will miss fall ball which hinders team assessment and preparation.

Staats was dressed in practice pic so perhaps close to returning. A decent candidate isn't the quickest defender but a general nuisance to crossing traffic and closest to Bomberry stick.

No viewable film to confirm but thought DiPietro looked good the other night for most part.

Best two options to drop are contingent on capabilities of others filling the hole they would leave. Until the abilities of others are known , difficult to assess overall ramifications to team.

Helmer true roots are as a pole ,hoping Barlow gets back asap, Dami stops lunging, Smart bounces and an athlete emerges from the rat pack to soldify dm unit behind Dearth

I've been a little harsh on the lax factor guy, but it is very nice to have this video. A couple things I noticed from the video:
Brendan Curry has a new underhand shot. Hopefully he can hit the cage with it and he mixes it up with an over hand shot. I like that he added something to his game. I mentioned last season that he should've taken a page from Trimboli's book and gone back to an overhand shot, because he was missing the cage a lot.

Defense will be different without Bomberry and Cunningham. Both guys were good about being in the right place and Bomberry was great knocking down and deflecting passes. Can Staats get healthy and provide that ability? Can Murphy do some of that? If not, maybe keep him at SSDM.

SSDM was (hopefully) not what it will look like in the spring. Hopefully Barlow is healthy in the spring and hopefully SU decides to keep Helmer at SSDM unless he's by far our 2nd best close defenseman after Mellen. Last season SU ran 4 SSDMs and Small was 4.5. They need that many with the pace of the game. If SU takes Murphy and Helmer from SSDM, that position is much weaker. SU needs some long sticks to step up so they don't need both those guys at close defense.
agree. Helmer is as effective off ball as an ssdm as he is on ball. Saved other ssdms many times last year with quick hard slides. Murphy is a big fast stud. I like him better as a disruptive ssdm. I'm sure one of them will end up as a close. I'd leave Helmer at shortie.

agree. Helmer is as effective off ball as an ssdm as he is on ball. Saved other ssdms many times last year with quick hard slides. Murphy is a big fast stud. I like him better as a disruptive ssdm. I'm sure one of them will end up as a close. I'd leave Helmer at shortie.
I would do the same. Murphy may have some of the ball hawking skills that Bomberry had, but certainly not at the same level. But those skills are accentuated with a long pole, because he can just reach more than with a short stick.

I would do the same. Murphy may have some of the ball hawking skills that Bomberry had, but certainly not at the same level. But those skills are accentuated with a long pole, because he can just reach more than with a short stick.
I think Murphy looks more comfortable playing with long pole than with short stick.

That vid is simply awesome. Loved the look of joy on that young boys face ,a fun day with the team that he'll surely remember . Good character on this team throughout, fun loving and hard working. Easy to root for.

I think Murphy is 100% locked in as a long pole at this point barring major injury issues at ssdm.

Cleary Page and Derby all will get a shot to impress with Staats and Barlow out giving extra reps at lsm and close. Will be Interesting to see who can make an impression by the end of fall camp.

Depth at cd and ssdm presently an issue . Had 3 experienced sr long poles starting on D and good handle on underlying depth at this time last year . At cd, disappointed that Jkennedy and Staats are out , strong Placid play by former and solid WC play of latter in 18 had me looking forward to their auditions.. At ssdm , Barlow status effects dm unit since two rotation players shifted elsewhere. Been optimistic on Dami upside but gotta see. Have several athletic youngsters that hopefully will be looked at before turning back to Helmer because he is one of the few established long poles on roster.

Do people remember how they structured the teams last year? Did they split starters up or keep them together. I feel like the teams were mostly random, but wanted to confirm with people who were there.

I know they have a big squad and the coaches fee like they have to get a look at as many varsity players as possible, but I do think it’s good to compete against a different group of players, even if they are alums. I think they would go a bit harder with bragging rights on the line.

Do people remember how they structured the teams last year? Did they split starters up or keep them together. I feel like the teams were mostly random, but wanted to confirm with people who were there.

I know they have a big squad and the coaches fee like they have to get a look at as many varsity players as possible, but I do think it’s good to compete against a different group of players, even if they are alums. I think they would go a bit harder with bragging rights on the line.

It felt like they tried to make it as evenly matched as possible last year. Starters split pretty much even.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom