2022-23 Yankees Off Season / Spring Training... | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

2022-23 Yankees Off Season / Spring Training...

Maybe so, but they don't get enough baserunners and they don't manufacture runs like they used to do. That's why they go out every year in the playoffs, when you have to face great pitchers every game.
That’s a popular myth with no quantitative support.

Baseball as a whole has been too addicted to the long ball, hence the shift against left-handers. How long would the shift survive if lefties were willing to try to power bunt toward third? Are there any leftie .300 hitters (players whose "long ball" usually is a double to the gap) remaining?
Speaking of shift. No shifts allowed starting next season, correct? I hated that guys wouldn't attempt to lay one down to an open side of the infield, but instead would ground out to the 3rd infielder playing short outfield.

That’s a popular myth with no quantitative support.

How long has it been since they made the series?
Is that not also "data"?

Have all these on-base guys done it in the post-season to the standards of their regular season performance?

How long has it been since they made the series?
Is that not also "data"?

Have all these on-base guys done it in the post-season to the standards of their regular season performance?
They’ve had many different players and lineups since 2009. There was certainly more going on than just a lack of contact. Certainly, the Yankees failing to win a World Series is not proof that small ball wins in the postseason. I am sure you know better than that.

The high batting average World Series champions hit .248 last year.

Check out this article if you have time.

Yes, the Playoffs are Still a Crapshoot

Contact rate is another post-hoc explanation for why certain teams win, but that was rejected from the model at the 95% level of significance. The same goes for attempts to include momentum (second-half performance, September record). Team speed doesn’t make the threshold. Neither does clutch performance during the regular season or postseason performance history of the players involved. In layman’s terms, knowing which teams have these characteristics has little to no value in telling us why certain teams won playoff games over the last three decades, apart from their effect on their Pythagorean record. Surprisingly, what was (barely) useful enough to make it as a variable was team age, but this was an advantage on the side of young players; young teams, and consequently, teams with less playoff experience veryslightly overperformed over the last 28 postseasons.

Speaking of shift. No shifts allowed starting next season, correct? I hated that guys wouldn't attempt to lay one down to an open side of the infield, but instead would ground out to the 3rd infielder playing short outfield.
Correct, "no shifts allowed", so the SS will stand one step on the "correct" side of 2nd.

They’ve had many different players and lineups since 2009. There was certainly more going on than just a lack of contact. Certainly, the Yankees failing to win a World Series is not proof that small ball wins in the postseason. I am sure you know better than that.

The high batting average World Series champions hit .248 last year.

Check out this article if you have time.

Yes, the Playoffs are Still a Crapshoot

Contact rate is another post-hoc explanation for why certain teams win, but that was rejected from the model at the 95% level of significance. The same goes for attempts to include momentum (second-half performance, September record). Team speed doesn’t make the threshold. Neither does clutch performance during the regular season or postseason performance history of the players involved. In layman’s terms, knowing which teams have these characteristics has little to no value in telling us why certain teams won playoff games over the last three decades, apart from their effect on their Pythagorean record. Surprisingly, what was (barely) useful enough to make it as a variable was team age, but this was an advantage on the side of young players; young teams, and consequently, teams with less playoff experience veryslightly overperformed over the last 28 postseasons.

The Yankees have been too full of old, broken players being paid for past performance for at least that long.

I fluckin hated the shift, so glad to see it gone.

I still don’t like the relief pitcher must face 2 or 3 or whatever batters, that’s ridiculous.

I like it. It’s much better than a pitching change after every batter.
AKA strategy.

When I’m watching baseball, I have no place to be.

The longer the game the better.

It actually requires more strategy when you can’t switch pitchers after every batter.
Fair point.

But being told he has to pitch to X amount of players will always bug me more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom