2022-23 Yankees Off Season / Spring Training... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

2022-23 Yankees Off Season / Spring Training...

Rule 5 Draft is today.

So far, Yankees have lost 6:

20. Cardinals. Wilking Rodriguez, RHP, Yankees.

22. Mets. Zach Greene, RHP, Yankees.

Minor league section:

The Baltimore Orioles selected RHP Alfred Vega from the Yankees' complex roster in the Triple-A portion of the Rule 5 draft. Vega, 21, has a 3.10 ERA over 139.1 career innings. 8.8 K/9, 3.0 BB/9.

Arizona Diamondbacks grab RHP Denny Larrondo from the Yankees. The 20-year-old has a career 5.43 ERA with 9.6 K/9, 5.7 BB/9. Didn't pitch in 2022. In March 2020, he was the Yankees' first COVID-19 case in spring training.

Boston Red Sox select Ryan Miller from the Yankees. Miller, 26, was signed out of Indy ball in 2022 and had a 5.75 ERA in 36 innings with High-A Hudson Valley. 12.5 K/9, 4.5 BB/9. He was drafted by the Braves (31st round) in 2017 and the Diamondbacks (6th round) in 2018.

Tampa Bay Rays select RHP Nelson Alvarez from the Yankees. Alvarez, 24, had a 2.85 ERA in 35 games with High-A Hudson Valley this year, then allowed nine earned runs in 10 innings in the Arizona Fall League. For his career, reliever has 10.2 K/9, 5.9 BB/9.

Yankees gained one:

The New York Yankees select LHP Pablo Mujica from the Kansas City Royals complex roster in the Triple-A phase of the Rule 5 draft. Mujica, 21, pitched 13 games in 2019, then didn't pitch again until throwing 11 games this year. Overall, he has a 3.13 ERA with 11.5 K.9, 4.5 BB/9.

Yankees PR Dept.
@YankeesPR

Today in the Major League phase of the 2022 Rule 5 Draft, St. Louis selected RHP Wilking Rodriguez and New York-NL selected RHP Zach Greene from the Yankees.

In the Triple-A phase, the Yankees selected LHP Pablo Mujica in the first round from Kansas City.

Additionally, Baltimore selected RHP Alfred Vega (1st round), Los Angeles-NL selected RHP Yon Castro (1st round), Arizona selected RHP Denny Larrondo (2nd round), Boston selected RHP Ryan Miller (2nd round), Tampa Bay selected RHP Nelson Alvarez (3rd round) and Philadelphia selected INF Oliver Dunn (7th round) from the Yankees in the Triple-A phase.

Last edited:
5 years, $90 mil, plus a $15.375 million posting fee to the Orix Buffaloes

Judge can say he signed for a ton of money
AND say he gave the home team a discount because he just wanted to be a Yankee so bad

WINNING

Why?

People say that he is good, but 1 WS appearance in like 20 years? That is what constitutes as good for the Yankees?

They're always competitive enough that Hank doesn't lose money.

At least they didn't have to go to 10 years; that would have been crazy. :rolleyes:

Some pitcher just got 13 years, and I don't mean 'in jail'.
How do you pay a pitcher for 13 years ??? Did he just graduate from college?

Some pitcher just got 13 years, and I don't mean 'in jail'.
How do you pay a pitcher for 13 years ??? Did he just graduate from college?
Carlos Correa, shortstop. The Giants gave 13 years. He's very good, but he's 28! How can the back end of that deal not be an albatross?

Carlos Correa, shortstop. The Giants gave 13 years. He's very good, but he's 28! How can the back end of that deal not be an albatross?

OK, sorry. So, I'm not that crazy.

they assume they’re getting crap at the end. But they make up for it by the value early on. Assuming 1 WAR costs about 8 million , and he’s a 5 war guy, the front half will pay for the back

they assume they’re getting crap at the end. But they make up for it by the value early on. Assuming 1 WAR costs about 8 million , and he’s a 5 war guy, the front half will pay for the back

If it was my money, I wouldn't be paying ANY of these guys past their 38th birthday.

Verlander might be an exception; he's almost like Nolan Ryan, still throwing heat at that age, and after Tommy John surgery just a couple years ago.

But otherwise, that's nuts. It's paying for past performance, box office appeal, how many jerseys you can sell; not if the guy can actually play at a level worth that amount of money anymore.

If it was my money, I wouldn't be paying ANY of these guys past their 38th birthday.

Verlander might be an exception; he's almost like Nolan Ryan, still throwing heat at that age, and after Tommy John surgery just a couple years ago.

But otherwise, that's nuts. It's paying for past performance, box office appeal, how many jerseys you can sell; not if the guy can actually play at a level worth that amount of money anymore.
Here’s the problem. Someone will. You will miss out on every big ticket free agent. That’s fine if your organization doesn’t have the money to handle that. But for the deep pockets guys? It’s a different story . Think Boston made out by not paying Betts? They got crappy prospects (Jeter downs is baad) and essentially a league average player in Verdugo.

Here’s the problem. Someone will. You will miss out on every big ticket free agent. That’s fine if your organization doesn’t have the money to handle that. But for the deep pockets guys? It’s a different story . Think Boston made out by not paying Betts? They got crappy prospects (Jeter downs is baad) and essentially a league average player in Verdugo.

Yep, it's true. "Bigger Fool" theory, but you do better in the short run. And you get punished at the end, when you lose the flexibility to replace worn-out has-beens in the last couple years of their contracts. Fans don't continue to buy as many tickets to see crap teams.

The Yankees and certain other big name teams are sort of immune, and are still a box office draw. But if they hovered at .500 or so for several years, I'm not so sure that people would continue to pay big dollars to see them.

If that just got done, then that's terrific, and the Yankees will have excellent pitching, a very deep rotation if they stay healthy. Even a couple guys could get hurt, and they are 7 deep in starting pitchers.

They need a couple contact hitters, though. The thing that made the late 90s Yankees so great was that they could play "National League" ball and scratch out runs. They made pitchers work deep into counts, batter after batter. They moved runners, stole some bases. They didn't just sit around and wait for the long ball, and had no "Plan B". The Yankees have been too dependent on hitting home runs for like the last 10 years. That's what I hate about modern statistical analysis and how it's changed sports.

They need a couple contact hitters, though. The thing that made the late 90s Yankees so great was that they could play "National League" ball and scratch out runs. They made pitchers work deep into counts, batter after batter. They moved runners, stole some bases. They didn't just sit around and wait for the long ball, and had no "Plan B". The Yankees have been too dependent on hitting home runs for like the last 10 years. That's what I hate about modern statistical analysis and how it's changed sports.
The Yankees do work deep into counts. They led the league in walks and were 8th in stolen bases.

If that just got done, then that's terrific, and the Yankees will have excellent pitching, a very deep rotation if they stay healthy. Even a couple guys could get hurt, and they are 7 deep in starting pitchers.

Baseball as a whole has been too addicted to the long ball, hence the shift against left-handers. How long would the shift survive if lefties were willing to try to power bunt toward third? Are there any leftie .300 hitters (players whose "long ball" usually is a double to the gap) remaining?

The Yankees do work deep into counts. They led the league in walks and were 8th in stolen bases.

Maybe so, but they don't get enough baserunners and they don't manufacture runs like they used to do. That's why they go out every year in the playoffs, when you have to face great pitchers every game.

They can't really play small ball anymore. What did they have, one guy who hit for average last year? When you have to bat Judge lead-off, that signals to me that something is missing from your lineup. There's too much dead wood in the lineup - catcher, shortstop, third base. All need to be improved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom