2022 Mets thread | Page 58 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Mets thread

Just repeating what the beat reporters are saying.

Apparently all baseball free agent contracts are not official until the physical is completed and the team medical staff approves of the signing.

Sounds Iike the Mets are taking the physical seriously. Some Mets beat writers are convinced that the physical becomes a formality when the owner negotiates the contract. And make no mistake, this contract was negotiated by Steve Cohen. He got Eppler involved late to help wrap things up but he wanted Correa and he did when he needed to do to get him.

The problem is apparently an injury Correa suffered some 7 or 8 years ago in the minor leagues. He broke his leg and had some ligament damage. He has had no problems with it for 7 or 8 years but some doctors are concerned it might become a problem as he ages. I think i read there is some worry about arthritis in that leg,

The Twins know his really well from him playing there for a year and they were willing to sign him to a 10 year contract, so the worries about Correa’s health long term are not universal.
Just throwing this out there: Were the Twins truly willing to sign him or was the offer just for appearances?

Just throwing this out there: Were the Twins truly willing to sign him or was the offer just for appearances?
From what I have heard, they really like Carlos and really wanted to retain him. They offered the most they could afford and hoped it would be enough.

Sounds like the deal with the Mets will eventually get salvaged. That would be nice.

Just repeating what the beat reporters are saying.

Apparently all baseball free agent contracts are not official until the physical is completed and the team medical staff approves of the signing.

Sounds Iike the Mets are taking the physical seriously. Some Mets beat writers are convinced that the physical becomes a formality when the owner negotiates the contract. And make no mistake, this contract was negotiated by Steve Cohen. He got Eppler involved late to help wrap things up but he wanted Correa and he did when he needed to do to get him.

The real problem (as I see it) is Cohen acknowledged the deal on the record with reporters. That's usually something you don't do until it's official. If this thing totally falls apart I could easily see Boras/Correa filing a grievance and the owner of team going on record and saying

“We needed one more thing, and this is it,” he said Wednesday in the wee hours of the morning (it as actually only about 9 p.m. in Hawaii).

“This really makes a big difference,” Cohen also said. “I feel like our pitching was in good shape. We needed one more hitter. This puts us over the top.”

does kind of making for a compelling case that the team should have to honor the deal.

I think it'll get worked out and he'll be a Met. Also interesting to note Boras basically walked away from the Giants deal as soon as they got cold feet for even a minute, while this thing has been dragging on for nearly a week now.

The real problem (as I see it) is Cohen acknowledged the deal on the record with reporters. That's usually something you don't do until it's official. If this thing totally falls apart I could easily see Boras/Correa filing a grievance and the owner of team going on record and saying

does kind of making for a compelling case that the team should have to honor the deal.

I think it'll get worked out and he'll be a Met. Also interesting to note Boras basically walked away from the Giants deal as soon as they got cold feet for even a minute, while this thing has been dragging on for nearly a week now.
Agree on all counts. Steve Cohen has done a lot of things right but he screwed up here.

I would much rather have an owner make a mistake like this (maybe getting too excited over a big move) than the other way around. We Mets fans have had enough of the do nothing owners to last 10 life times.

Boras doing a great job for his client...
High stakes poker being played here. It will be interesting to see if Scott overplays his hand or not.

I just hope it ends soon.

High stakes poker being played here. It will be interesting to see if Scott overplays his hand or not.

I just hope it ends soon.

Yeah. Needless to say it's not great for Correa either. Two big spenders now could have walked away. He doesn't come away from this unscathed if the Mets cut ties.

Yeah. Needless to say it's not great for Correa either. Two big spenders now could have walked away. He doesn't come away from this unscathed if the Mets cut ties.
and really its 300+ million you are set for your life and every one else in your family. how much more do you need.

and really its 300+ million you are set for your life and every one else in your family. how much more do you need.
He's set for life with the $250 mill, or whatever the Twins offered.

I'm thinking that the Giants and Mets are concerned with arthritis impacting Correa relatively early in the duration of the contract.

I would think some part of him also wants to win a WS or 2.. if you get 3-4 yrs of him in the field and he becomes a DH he is still better than what we have now by a lot.. figure out some opt out that works I guess is the answer.

Amid reports of the Twins entering Into serious talks with Correa, there is this tidbit…

Baerga has been dead on with a number of reports of breaking news recently. Let’s hope he is right here.

Amid reports of the Twins entering Into serious talks with Correa, there is this tidbit…

Baerga has been dead on with a number of reports of breaking news recently. Let’s hope he is right here.
Steve Phillips is also saying Correa to the Mets is a matter of time. This seems like a negotiating tactic by the biggest … er agent in sports.

Steve Phillips is also saying Correa to the Mets is a matter of time. This seems like a negotiating tactic by the biggest … er agent in sports.
As a Mets fan, this has been really tough. What a soap opera. Boras is so hard to deal with.

But in the end, he knows he must maintain a good relationship with Steve Cohen or he will deprive his clients many millions of dollars in future negotiations.

The Mets are not going to move forward with some other moves until the Correa situation is resolved. It needs to happen ASAP. I hope this story is right and it happens this afternoon. Even if he goes elsewhere, this needs to end soon.

Just as an aside, the Mets signed Tim Locastro to a minor league contract yesterday. Tim was born in Syracuse and grew up in Auburn. He might well start the year in Syracuse, though I suspect he will be with the Mets for most of the season. The Mets need a good defensive outfielder who can at the least play CF sometimes, to give Nimmo a day off here and there. There are worse guys to have an extra outfielder. His speed will be an asset, especially with the rule changes that make good base stealers more valuable.

When you leak someone's medical history to pressure them to sign, that tends to happen.
Where did they leak it? Its public knowledge that he had that issue and it came up again a few years ago. What did they say besides we have concerns about his meds? They didn't leak that it would fall of or get arthritic or anything like that? Did they?