2022 Mets thread | Page 57 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Mets thread

It was weird with Jake. He was the same old elite guy his first time through the lineup. Usually was good the second time through.

But when he got to around 80 pitches, all hell broke loose time and time again. He would go from working on a 1 hit shutout to giving up 3 runs in 10 pitches.

He lost a lot of his endurance. It will be interesting to see if he can get it back. And if he can, if he can avoid running into more injuries.

When he was on, he was a joy to watch pitch.
I think the issue is he only threw two pitches (fastball/slider) because of his partially torn whatever…can’t get through a mlb line up more than a couple of times without a third pitch. I think Jake might need another surgery to fix his arm again or he’s going to be a really elite reliever w two pitches.

I think the issue is he only threw two pitches (fastball/slider) because of his partially torn whatever…can’t get through a mlb line up more than a couple of times without a third pitch. I think Jake might need another surgery to fix his arm again or he’s going to be a really elite reliever w two pitches.
I thought he started off with just the two pitches.

But after a few starts, he added some curves and changeups. More changeups than curves. A lot of the off speed stuff got rocked.

In the old days, he would throw a lot of changeups in the latter innings of his starts and it was very effective. He has to find a way to get that back. I do sincerely wish him good luck pitching for the Rangers.

It was weird with Jake. He was the same old elite guy his first time through the lineup. Usually was good the second time through.

But when he got to around 80 pitches, all hell broke loose time and time again. He would go from working on a 1 hit shutout to giving up 3 runs in 10 pitches.

He lost a lot of his endurance. It will be interesting to see if he can get it back. And if he can, if he can avoid running into more injuries.

When he was on, he was a joy to watch pitch.

He was the greatest pitcher of all time - for 5-6 innings.

I see where Cohen will owe $111 million in Luxury Tax for his bloated MLB payroll.
Q. Who gets that money? - MLB? IRS? The estate of Marge Scott?
If MLB gets it, what do they do with it? - distribute it to smaller market teams.

I thought he started off with just the two pitches.

But after a few starts, he added some curves and changeups. More changeups than curves. A lot of the off speed stuff got rocked.

In the old days, he would throw a lot of changeups in the latter innings of his starts and it was very effective. He has to find a way to get that back. I do sincerely wish him good luck pitching for the Rangers.

It was crazy to me that he really cut down on his changeup usage, it was a really good pitch!

Through 2020, he threw about 16% changeups. The last 2 year he cut that down in half, to about 8%. Then again, I guess if I could throw 100 and had that slider maybe that's all I would throw also.

I see where Cohen will owe $111 million in Luxury Tax for his bloated MLB payroll.
Q. Who gets that money? - MLB? IRS? The estate of Marge Scott?
If MLB gets it, what do they do with it? - distribute it to smaller market teams.

Some of it goes to funding the player pension/retirement pool, and about half (I think? based on the old CBA at least) goes to the teams that dont pay the tax

It was crazy to me that he really cut down on his changeup usage, it was a really good pitch!

Through 2020, he threw about 16% changeups. The last 2 year he cut that down in half, to about 8%. Then again, I guess if I could throw 100 and had that slider maybe that's all I would throw also.

Some of it goes to funding the player pension/retirement pool, and about half (I think? based on the old CBA at least) goes to the teams that dont pay the tax
My conspiracy theory is it’s because his arm isn‘t right and he’s going to need surgery.

Also McCann is now an Oriole. God… not getting Realmuto and getting him instead was a HUGE miss.

if I were Cohen, my next baller move would be to trade for Brian Reynolds from the pirates. They no longer need infield prospects like Vientos, Baty or Mauricio but they do need outfielders. Fwiw I don’t think Reynolds is worth what Pittsburg wants.

An even bigger baller move would be to go after Buxton from Minnesota and see if the Twins want to get out from his injuries,

My conspiracy theory is it’s because his arm isn‘t right and he’s going to need surgery.

Also McCann is now an Oriole. God… not getting Realmuto and getting him instead was a HUGE miss.

if I were Cohen, my next baller move would be to trade for Brian Reynolds from the pirates. They no longer need infield prospects like Vientos, Baty or Mauricio but they do need outfielders. Fwiw I don’t think Reynolds is worth what Pittsburg wants.

An even bigger baller move would be to go after Buxton from Minnesota and see if the Twins want to get out from his injuries,
Could be. The changeup was a huge pitch for Jake late in games most of his career with the Mets. Your theory is as good as any I have heard.

Jake is an amazing pitcher. Only pitcher I have ever seen that has thrown the ball consistently harder as he has aged. I think he tried a bit to take something off his fastball last year and drop the speed to 'only' 96 or 97 but he got hit pretty hard when he tried and gave up on it quickly. He might want to return to experimenting with that in Texas. Could help prolong his career.

I agree that the miss on Realmuto, which apparently was only for a couple of million dollars, cost the Mets a lot of wins. Sometimes you have to get the right player when you have an opening at a key position. The drop off to McCann was huge.

I would play Vientos every day in Syracuse to start the season. Have him available in case someone gets hurt. I think he is essentially a 1B/DH now. Looks like 3B is not happening for him. Get him a lot of work at 1B and hopefully he develops into an accomplished fielder there. Maybe he hits .280 with 30 HRs and 100 RBIs in Syracuse and builds to huis maximum value. Does not look like his future long term is with the Mets.

Would hold on to Baty and try and make him into an outfielder. He has a gun and seems like he is athletic enough to be at least as good as Canha there. Better when you consider the arm.

The Mets have one more year of Canha. Nimmo will be the CF and Marte the RF.

After that, I have Baty penciled in as the new RF in 2024. Could have Alvarez as the starting catcher and ideally Mauricio makes the transition to CF in Syracuse in 2023 and takes over in NY in 2024, with Nimmo moving to LF. Marte fills in some in LF and RF at that point.

It would be good to start getting younger and it will help get the payroll down so the penalties are not quite as bad.

Could be. The changeup was a huge pitch for Jake late in games most of his career with the Mets. Your theory is as good as any I have heard.

Jake is an amazing pitcher. Only pitcher I have ever seen that has thrown the ball consistently harder as he has aged. I think he tried a bit to take something off his fastball last year and drop the speed to 'only' 96 or 97 but he got hit pretty hard when he tried and gave up on it quickly. He might want to return to experimenting with that in Texas. Could help prolong his career.

I agree that the miss on Realmuto, which apparently was only for a couple of million dollars, cost the Mets a lot of wins. Sometimes you have to get the right player when you have an opening at a key position. The drop off to McCann was huge.

I would play Vientos every day in Syracuse to start the season. Have him available in case someone gets hurt. I think he is essentially a 1B/DH now. Looks like 3B is not happening for him. Get him a lot of work at 1B and hopefully he develops into an accomplished fielder there. Maybe he hits .280 with 30 HRs and 100 RBIs in Syracuse and builds to huis maximum value. Does not look like his future long term is with the Mets.

Would hold on to Baty and try and make him into an outfielder. He has a gun and seems like he is athletic enough to be at least as good as Canha there. Better when you consider the arm.

After that, I have Baty penciled in as the new RF in 2024. Could have Alvarez as the starting catcher and ideally Mauricio makes the transition to CF in Syracuse in 2023 and takes over in NY in 2024, with Nimmo moving to LF. Marte fills in some in LF and RF at that point.

It would be good to start getting younger and it will help get the payroll down so the penalties are not quite as bad.
This next spring training will be fascinating… I agree with everything above. If the Mets also agree, they will start getting Baty and Mauricio reps in the outfield this next season. Last year the Mets fourth outfielder was McNeil… maybe Baty will be the fourth outfielder this year? They definitely need one with Nimmo and Marte.

I'm not a pitcher, but it would seem to be that it causes more problems with your arm to throw a 94 MPH slider than it does to throw a changeup. But again, not a pitcher. And I am sure Jake has some arm issues.

Not getting Realmuto and going with McCann was such a whiff at the time, and only looks worse. It's hard to believe that was the same Steve Cohen we've seen the last two winters.

Have to wonder if Carrasco is dealt now for a bat. Or is mad man Cohen going to try for Correa lol

The Grinch Smiling GIF by The Good Films

I'm not a pitcher, but it would seem to be that it causes more problems with your arm to throw a 94 MPH slider than it does to throw a changeup. But again, not a pitcher. And I am sure Jake has some arm issues.

Not getting Realmuto and going with McCann was such a whiff at the time, and only looks worse. It's hard to believe that was the same Steve Cohen we've seen the last two winters.
Fwiw that was his first off season in charge. Alderson was still running things when they gave up on Realmuto to sign McCann because Realmuto was taking too long and they also wanted to go after Springer. For those interested here is the list of transactions - 2020 New York Mets Transactions | ESPN

Long story short, Cohen agreed to bring on Alderson initially to assure other owners he wouldn’t spend like a hedge fund guy with too much money. Two years later, Alderson is out to pasture and Cohen spent well over half a billion. It’s a great time to be a Mets fan.

Fcuk the Yankees.

Fwiw that was his first off season in charge. Alderson was still running things when they gave up on Realmuto to sign McCann because Realmuto was taking too long and they also wanted to go after Springer. For those interested here is the list of transactions - 2020 New York Mets Transactions | ESPN

Long story short, Cohen agreed to bring on Alderson initially to assure other owners he wouldn’t spend like a hedge fund guy with too much money. Two years later, Alderson is out to pasture and Cohen spent well over half a billion. It’s a great time to be a Mets fan.

Fcuk the Yankees.

Yuck the Fankees.

Scooby Sez: "Ruh Roh". From MLB Trade Rumors:

"Carlos Correa’s physical with the Mets has “raised concerns”, according to a report from Ken Rosenthal and Dan Hayes of The Athletic. Per the report, the concern centers on Correa’s surgically repaired lower right leg. Correa has agreed to a 12-year, $315MM deal with the Mets just days after a 13-year, $350MM deal with the Giants fell through over concerns over the physical."

He broke it. They bought it.

So does he sign a reduced deal or shop his wares elsewhere?

So does he sign a reduced deal or shop his wares elsewhere?
Not sure. I have see a couple of the Mets beatw writers who said, before the physical ever happened, that the Mets have to move forward with this deal. They were saying that given that the agreement was essentially made with the owner, it is a done deal.

Kind of reckless to move ahead so quickly on an enormous deal immediately after a respected organization has expressed concerns, but Steve Cohen clearly really wanted Correa. He was unhappy he missed his the first time and was resolved not to miss out the second.

I expect the Mets will put their best face forward on this and end up moving forward with the terms as originally negotiated. If they don’t, it is going to get ugly very fast.

Not sure. I have see a couple of the Mets beatw writers who said, before the physical ever happened, that the Mets have to move forward with this deal. They were saying that given that the agreement was essentially made with the owner, it is a done deal.

Kind of reckless to move ahead so quickly on an enormous deal immediately after a respected organization has expressed concerns, but Steve Cohen clearly really wanted Correa. He was unhappy he missed his the first time and was resolved not to miss out the second.

I expect the Mets will put their best face forward on this and end up moving forward with the terms as originally negotiated. If they don’t, it is going to get ugly very fast.
That would be incredibly irresponsible to come to a deal without the standard caveats of the physical checking out applying

That doesn’t make sense. The Mets GM was a part of the deal. And every deal agreed to is still dependent on the physical. Otherwise why even have a physical.

That doesn’t make sense. The Mets GM was a part of the deal. And every deal agreed to is still dependent on the physical. Otherwise why even have a physical.
Just repeating what the beat reporters are saying.

Apparently all baseball free agent contracts are not official until the physical is completed and the team medical staff approves of the signing.

Sounds Iike the Mets are taking the physical seriously. Some Mets beat writers are convinced that the physical becomes a formality when the owner negotiates the contract. And make no mistake, this contract was negotiated by Steve Cohen. He got Eppler involved late to help wrap things up but he wanted Correa and he did when he needed to do to get him.

The problem is apparently an injury Correa suffered some 7 or 8 years ago in the minor leagues. He broke his leg and had some ligament damage. He has had no problems with it for 7 or 8 years but some doctors are concerned it might become a problem as he ages. I think i read there is some worry about arthritis in that leg,

The Twins know his really well from him playing there for a year and they were willing to sign him to a 10 year contract, so the worries about Correa’s health long term are not universal.

Just repeating what the beat reporters are saying.

Apparently all baseball free agent contracts are not official until the physical is completed and the team medical staff approves of the signing.

Sounds Iike the Mets are taking the physical seriously. Some Mets beat writers are convinced that the physical becomes a formality when the owner negotiates the contract. And make no mistake, this contract was negotiated by Steve Cohen. He got Eppler involved late to help wrap things up but he wanted Correa and he did when he needed to do to get him.

The problem is apparently an injury Correa suffered some 7 or 8 years ago in the minor leagues. He broke his leg and had some ligament damage. He has had no problems with it for 7 or 8 years but some doctors are concerned it might become a problem as he ages. I think i read there is some worry about arthritis in that leg,

The Twins know his really well from him playing there for a year and they were willing to sign him to a 10 year contract, so the worries about Correa’s health long term are not universal.
I think Mets get a deal done with contingencies built in.

I think Mets get a deal done with contingencies built in.

Agreed. Also knowing this is the issue it still looks like SF screwed the pooch on how they handled negotiations