2022 Portal | Page 42 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Portal

It's amazing how quickly it escalated to become the wild, wild west. Anyone wonder if guys like Weitsman want to participate and JAB and Syracuse has possibly been hesitant to engage above and beyond the normal stuff.
I hate where this is heading (or where it already is), and it feels like the beginning of the end for a school like Cuse. But we need the school administrators to allow Weitsman to do his thing. He was quoted in an article I read a year or so ago saying he wants to participate but he doesn't know how, and he knows the administrators are super strict (likely due to past issues). We're going to be rivals with my alma mater Siena pretty soon if they don't let Weitsman do for Cuse what others are doing for every other P5 that wants to win.
I think Weitsman was quoted saying something like he wants to help bring the next Zion Williamson to Cuse, but the administrators are really strict on not breaking rules and he needs their guidance and blessing.

I hate where this is heading (or where it already is), and it feels like the beginning of the end for a school like Cuse. But we need the school administrators to allow Weitsman to do his thing. He was quoted in an article I read a year or so ago saying he wants to participate but he doesn't know how, and he knows the administrators are super strict (likely due to past issues). We're going to be rivals with my alma mater Siena pretty soon if they don't let Weitsman do for Cuse what others are doing for every other P5 that wants to win.
You realize even if we had someone to spend money JB still does not want to go after transfers this year.

You realize even if we had someone to spend money JB still does not want to go after transfers this year.
Not talking about this year. Thinking about the future. I'm afraid we're 5-10 years away from being a mid-major if other schools continue to spend big money on recruits and Cuse doesn't.

To allow? I don’t know what that means. And we will have a collective.

Not talking about this year. Thinking about the future. I'm afraid we're 5-10 years away from being a mid-major if other schools continue to spend big money on recruits and Cuse doesn't.

Schools aren’t spending big money.

To allow? I don’t know what that means. And we will have a collective.
It means he isn't going to do it isolated on his own. He's going to work with the school and make sure everything is clean so he doesn't cause issues.

I just looked up the article again, here's a link: Weitsman cautious about NIL but ‘would love to bring the next Zion Williamson’ to Syracuse

He said "I haven't jumped in yet. I have thought about it. There are a lot of compliance issues. I want to make sure of the rules. The compliance department at Syracuse is very strict, and I need to abide by the NCAA rules at all times. The most important thing is that I'm always in compliance. Before I do anything, at any time, I check with compliance. When I see a player eating at one of my restaurants I call compliance. Some of the rules are archaic. But the last thing I want is to get SU into trouble." The author of the article also said "Weitsman said it's particularly important to . . . run his interactions with SU athletes through the school's compliance department."

So, it's clear he's not going rogue with NIL and intends to work lockstep with the school. If they tell him not to do something, it appears he would listen.

Boosters, like Weitsman, working with the schools.

It means he isn't going to do it isolated on his own. He's going to work with the school and make sure everything is clean so he doesn't cause issues.

I just looked up the article again, here's a link: Weitsman cautious about NIL but ‘would love to bring the next Zion Williamson’ to Syracuse

He said "I haven't jumped in yet. I have thought about it. There are a lot of compliance issues. I want to make sure of the rules. The compliance department at Syracuse is very strict, and I need to abide by the NCAA rules at all times. The most important thing is that I'm always in compliance. Before I do anything, at any time, I check with compliance. When I see a player eating at one of my restaurants I call compliance. Some of the rules are archaic. But the last thing I want is to get SU into trouble." The author of the article also said "Weitsman said it's particularly important to . . . run his interactions with SU athletes through the school's compliance department."

So, it's clear he's not going rogue with NIL and intends to work lockstep with the school. If they tell him not to do something, it appears he would listen.

There’s something wrong with going through compliance to make sure you’re not doing something wrong? He didn’t say SU wouldn’t let him do anything. If they did then why are they encouraging a group to construct a collective? Weitsman is just being cautious. But he didn’t say what you are insinuating.

I'm just not sure why so many people don't understand this.

PSA: Please, everyone read this. It's the best explanation I have seen.

Cliff Notes:

• SCHOOLS DO NOT AND CANNOT PAY STUDENT ATHLETES AND CALL IT NIL.
  • THEY CANNOT SET UP DEALS WITH STUDENT ATHLETES AND POTENTIAL FUNDERS.
  • SCHOOL LOGOS CANNOT BE USED IN ANY NIL ACTIVITY/PRODUCT/ETC.

I'm just not sure why so many people don't understand this.

PSA: Please, everyone read this. It's the best explanation I have seen.

Cliff Notes:

• SCHOOLS DO NOT AND CANNOT PAY STUDENT ATHLETES AND CALL IT NIL.
  • THEY CANNOT SET UP DEALS WITH STUDENT ATHLETES AND POTENTIAL FUNDERS.
  • SCHOOL LOGOS CANNOT BE USED IN ANY NIL ACTIVITY/PRODUCT/ETC.

I’m not sure the third bullet is correct. I believe they can with the schools permission as several SU athletes are and SU gave them permission to do so.

I’m not sure the third bullet is correct. I believe they can with the schools permission as several SU athletes are and SU have them permission to do so.
That could be true. It might be an older article as it's not dated.

There’s something wrong with going through compliance to make sure you’re not doing something wrong? He didn’t say SU wouldn’t let him do anything. If they did then why are they encouraging a group to construct a collective? Weitsman is just being cautious. But he didn’t say what you are insinuating.
What do you think I'm insinuating? I never said he did anything wrong. I quoted what he said. My opinion is that it's good he's cautious and is working with compliance. The last thing we need is another rule infraction issue. I also hope he's not held back from doing lawful things that other competitive schools are openly doing. There's currently a lot of gray area with respect to NIL, and programs will navigate it differently.

That could be true. It might be an older article as it's not dated.
Logos are typically intellectual property belonging to the schools, so it's up to each school whether an athlete can use the logo. Some allow it, others don't.

What do you think I'm insinuating? I never said he did anything wrong. I quoted what he said. My opinion is that it's good he's cautious and is working with compliance. The last thing we need is another rule infraction issue. I also hope he's not held back from doing lawful things that other competitive schools are openly doing. There's currently a lot of gray area with respect to NIL, and programs will navigate it differently.

You made it sound like weitsman said SU won’t let him do anything. At least that’s the way I interpreted. Sorry if you didn’t mean it that way.

Our recruiting class is highly ranked though.

the NCAA has rules? could have fooled me ;)

JB severely underestimated the amount of money that could be made in the NIL space, even if some of it stretches the traditional boundaries of what’s legitimate under the rules. I don’t have time to find his quotes but he went on and on last year about how only a few of the stars would be able to make big money.

JB severely underestimated the amount of money that could be made in the NIL space, even if some of it stretches the traditional boundaries of what’s legitimate under the rules. I don’t have time to find his quotes but he went on and on last year about how only a few of the stars would be able to make big money.

He was pretty much correct. The big money is only going to a handful. It’s not everyone.

He was pretty much correct. The big money is only going to a handful. It’s not everyone.
meh, depends on the context. Out of 353 D1 basketball schools and their players? The vast majority of players aren't getting anything.

Of the top-30 teams and their 3-5 starters? I'd wager that most are getting something sizeable.

meh, depends on the context. Out of 353 D1 basketball schools and their players? The vast majority of players aren't getting anything.

Of the top-30 teams and their 3-5 starters? I'd wager that most are getting something sizeable.

Define sizable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom