2022 USMNT Thread | Page 27 | Syracusefan.com

2022 USMNT Thread

Foreign coaches in MLS last year:

Nico Estavez (Spain, age 42) - Dallas FC (3rd - West Conf - +11 Goal Diff)

Oscar Pareja (Columbia, age 54, won coach of the year in MLS) - Orlando City (7th in East Conf: -9 GD - shouldn't have made the playoffs)

Giovanni Savarese (Venz / Italia, age 51) of Portland (8th - West Conf - 0 GD)

Gonzalo Pineda (Mex., 40 years old) - Atlanta United (11th in East Conf: only -6 GD)

Hernan Losada (Argentina, age 40, previously coached in the Belgian league) at DC United (14th - LAST - East Conf: -35 GD - Worst in the league)

Matias Almeyda (Argentina, 48, just moved to Athens, Greek League?, previously coached Chivas in MX and River Plate), San Jose Earthquakes (14th - LAST - West Conf : -17 GD)

Almeyda just had a terrible year with San Jose and was apparently let go, but he landed in Greece, and he has won a fistful of trophies as a manager to date. He's maybe the best guy of this bunch, taking the long view.

Last edited:
Foreign coaches in MLS last year:

Nico Estavez (Spain, age 42) - Dallas FC (3rd - West Conf - +11 Goal Diff)

Oscar Pareja (Columbia, age 54, won coach of the year in MLS) - Orlando City (7th in East Conf: -9 GD - shouldn't have made the playoffs)

Giovanni Savarese (Venz / Italia, age 51) of Portland (8th - West Conf - 0 GD)

Gonzalo Pineda (Mex., 40 years old) - Atlanta United (11th in East Conf: only -6 GD)

Hernan Losada (Argentina, age 40, previously coached in the Belgian league) at DC United (14th - LAST - East Conf: -35 GD - Worst in the league)

Matias Almeyda (Argentina, 48, just moved to Athens, Greek League?, previously coached Chivas in MX and River Plate), San Jose Earthquakes (14th - LAST - West Conf : -17 GD)

Almeyda just had a terrible year with San Jose and was apparently let go, but he landed in Greece, and he has won a fistful of trophies as a manager to date. He's maybe the best guy of this bunch, taking the long view.

You're missing quite a few -- Rooney, Deila/Cushing, Struber, Neville, Nancy, and I'm guessing a few others. The league was split nearly 50/50 last year with American/Canadian and foreign coaches.

You're missing quite a few -- Rooney, Deila/Cushing, Struber, Neville, Nancy, and I'm guessing a few others. The league was split nearly 50/50 last year with American/Canadian and foreign coaches.

Are there any you would like to see replace Berhalter as National team coach?

Wow… p00p is hitting the fan with Reyna. Apparently almost got sent home for not giving full effort in training before Wales and then other behavior issues. Player council saved him from getting a one way ticket to Germany.

Berhalter aired this at some leadership conference after getting eliminated.

Wow… p00p is hitting the fan with Reyna. Apparently almost got sent home for not giving full effort in training before Wales and then other behavior issues. Player council saved him from getting a one way ticket to Germany.

Berhalter aired this at some leadership conference after getting eliminated.

Apparently, Gio Reyna and Tyler Adams had to be separated during training.

Are there any you would like to see replace Berhalter as National team coach?

Right now, no.

Wilfried Nancy will be on a meteoric rise and, unfortunately for American soccer, his trajectory is a top-5 league. If there was one individual , the Frenchman is the guy. He is probably the best coach currently in our domestic league.

Deila could end up an amazing national team coach in the right circumstances. His players love him, he teaches and aggressive and attractive style and doesn't overcomplicate things. If he ever ends up back with Norway, they will be a really fun team to watch. I think he's gonna keep getting buckets of money at Liege after moving overseas and who knows where he'll go if they start qualifying for Euro competitions again.

Struber has Bob Bradley written all over him. Boring, boring, boring, but effective with undermanned rosters. He may end up with a team towards the bottom of the EPL before next season kicks off.

Cushing is interesting. Raised under Pep, won the Women's EPL with Man City when he was basically a kid, is as tactically as advanced as you'll see a coach in the US, but I wouldn't want him as a leader on the national team. He's probably the best in the league at making in-game adjustments but he tinkers, tinkers, tinkers with things until he finds something that works from the start. I'd LOVE him as a first assistant, but if he's going to take a role like that I would imagine it would have to be with his home country.

I think those are the top-4 (foreign) individuals that coached in MLS last year.

Now - if you want your best shot with an MLS coach, Jim Curtin is your guy. It will be ugly. It will be boring. We will look like Morocco, but he is the best defensive coach America has produced. I'm not feeling that for 2026 though.

I feel like it has to be someone from the outside -- there will be a lot of push for Marsch, but he's a bigger system guy than Berhalter. There could be huge highs. There could be bigger lows. We'll see.

Right now, no.

Wilfried Nancy will be on a meteoric rise and, unfortunately for American soccer, his trajectory is a top-5 league. If there was one individual , the Frenchman is the guy. He is probably the best coach currently in our domestic league.

Deila could end up an amazing national team coach in the right circumstances. His players love him, he teaches and aggressive and attractive style and doesn't overcomplicate things. If he ever ends up back with Norway, they will be a really fun team to watch. I think he's gonna keep getting buckets of money at Liege after moving overseas and who knows where he'll go if they start qualifying for Euro competitions again.

Struber has Bob Bradley written all over him. Boring, boring, boring, but effective with undermanned rosters. He may end up with a team towards the bottom of the EPL before next season kicks off.

Cushing is interesting. Raised under Pep, won the Women's EPL with Man City when he was basically a kid, is as tactically as advanced as you'll see a coach in the US, but I wouldn't want him as a leader on the national team. He's probably the best in the league at making in-game adjustments but he tinkers, tinkers, tinkers with things until he finds something that works from the start. I'd LOVE him as a first assistant, but if he's going to take a role like that I would imagine it would have to be with his home country.

I think those are the top-4 (foreign) individuals that coached in MLS last year.

Now - if you want your best shot with an MLS coach, Jim Curtin is your guy. It will be ugly. It will be boring. We will look like Morocco, but he is the best defensive coach America has produced. I'm not feeling that for 2026 though.

I feel like it has to be someone from the outside -- there will be a lot of push for Marsch, but he's a bigger system guy than Berhalter. There could be huge highs. There could be bigger lows. We'll see.

Not really familiar with most of those guys, so thanks for the quality feedback.

Sports Illustrated did a Post Mortem on all the contenders, oh and you too United States, about where they need to improve to do better at the next World Cup.

[Mod's, this is just the US section of a much longer premium article; hopefully you see it as fair use ...]

"So, with that in mind, let's take a look at all of the favorites (and the United States men's national team) who have been eliminated and see if there's anything they can do over the next four years to give themselves a slightly better chance at conquering the randomness.

i
. USA: Can you find more dudes?​

The calls for Gregg Berhalter's job during the World Cup were baffling to me. (OK, I'm not baffled; almost everyone hates their manager because of everything I just wrote.) The USMNT was the youngest team at the World Cup, they made the round of 16, and they went toe-to-toe with both England and the Netherlands.

Herculez Gomez grades Gregg Berhalter for his time in charge of the USMNT and speaks about his future.

The results won't show it, but this was America's best performance at a World Cup since America started qualifying for World Cups again in 1990. Most of that comes down to the massive increase at the top end of the talent pool, but Berhalter deserves plenty of credit, too. The manager's job is to get the talent to play up to its capabilities, and that's what happened in Qatar. This team did not underachieve.

- Carlisle/Borden: The case for, against keeping Berhalter as USMNT coach
- Roundtable: What the US did right, wrong at 2022 World Cup

Of course, you can convince yourself that they did underachieve... if you have a completely unrealistic understanding of how good the team's players are.

Ultimately, here's what happened in Qatar: The US had nine players who were up to the requisite starting level of a team that makes a deep knockout-round run in the World Cup.

In the starting XI, they were missing a second top-level center back next to Tim Ream, and then a third attacker between Christian Pulisic and Timothy Weah.

The bigger problem was the lack of depth. While the midfield was one of the best at the tournament, there was no fourth guy who could come on for Weston McKennie and maintain a similar level of performance.

The same is true at fullback; Antonee Robinson played every minute of the tournament at left-back, while whoever replaced Sergino Dest was, well, a lot worse than Sergino Dest. Up top, Brenden Aaronson was ineffective off the bench, and when Gio Reyna finally got to play against the Netherlands, he too was totally ineffective.

The Reyna story then blew up over the weekend when Berhalter's comments at something called the HOW Institute for Society's Summit on Moral Leadership were made public. About one unnamed, under-performing player, he said, "We were ready to book a plane ticket home, that's how extreme it was." It was quickly revealed that this player was Reyna, and both staff and players were frustrated with his lack of effort in pre-tournament training. Given his, um, subdued performance in the Round of 16, it seems like Reyna wasn't ready to contribute -- for physical or emotional reasons, or both -- in Qatar. That just massively exacerbated the team's lack of depth.

This showed up, I think, in two ways. Firstly, the team faded in almost every second half -- not because Berhalter refused to adjust, but because his good players got tired and the only options to replace them were, to put it simply, much worse at playing soccer. And since there was no depth across the roster, some of the stalwarts like Tyler Adams, Yunus Musah and Robinson were just totally gassed and made killer mental errors against the Netherlands.

We love to act like some brilliant manager can just magically come in, sprinkle some tactics and make all of our players better, but that's just not how soccer works. Ultimately, talent is -- by far -- the most important driver of national team success. If the US wants to be better in 2026, they're gonna need Aaronson to be better and Reyna to be back fit, as well as being fully reintegrated into the program. But they also need at least one other rotation fullback -- Borussia Monchengladbach's Joe Scally, perhaps? -- and at least one other top-level central midfielder -- ??? -- who can spell the starters and still provide quality minutes.

In other words, the team in Qatar went nine deep. Get that up to 13 -- or 15 -- by 2024 and then the ceiling gets way higher and the manager can justifiably be held to a higher standard.

Choosing Qatar for the WC is one of the stupidest sporting decisions ever made. Who ever could have seen this coming...

Uhh... literally everyone.

The Saudi's are lining up a bid to host in 2030, after us. Won't that be fun?

Sports Illustrated did a Post Mortem on all the contenders, oh and you too United States, about where they need to improve to do better at the next World Cup.

[Mod's, this is just the US section of a much longer premium article; hopefully you see it as fair use ...]

"So, with that in mind, let's take a look at all of the favorites (and the United States men's national team) who have been eliminated and see if there's anything they can do over the next four years to give themselves a slightly better chance at conquering the randomness.

i

The calls for Gregg Berhalter's job during the World Cup were baffling to me. (OK, I'm not baffled; almost everyone hates their manager because of everything I just wrote.) The USMNT was the youngest team at the World Cup, they made the round of 16, and they went toe-to-toe with both England and the Netherlands.

Herculez Gomez grades Gregg Berhalter for his time in charge of the USMNT and speaks about his future.

The results won't show it, but this was America's best performance at a World Cup since America started qualifying for World Cups again in 1990. Most of that comes down to the massive increase at the top end of the talent pool, but Berhalter deserves plenty of credit, too. The manager's job is to get the talent to play up to its capabilities, and that's what happened in Qatar. This team did not underachieve.

Of course, you can convince yourself that they did underachieve... if you have a completely unrealistic understanding of how good the team's players are.

Ultimately, here's what happened in Qatar: The US had nine players who were up to the requisite starting level of a team that makes a deep knockout-round run in the World Cup.

In the starting XI, they were missing a second top-level center back next to Tim Ream, and then a third attacker between Christian Pulisic and Timothy Weah.

The bigger problem was the lack of depth. While the midfield was one of the best at the tournament, there was no fourth guy who could come on for Weston McKennie and maintain a similar level of performance.

The same is true at fullback; Antonee Robinson played every minute of the tournament at left-back, while whoever replaced Sergino Dest was, well, a lot worse than Sergino Dest. Up top, Brenden Aaronson was ineffective off the bench, and when Gio Reyna finally got to play against the Netherlands, he too was totally ineffective.

The Reyna story then blew up over the weekend when Berhalter's comments at something called the HOW Institute for Society's Summit on Moral Leadership were made public. About one unnamed, under-performing player, he said, "We were ready to book a plane ticket home, that's how extreme it was." It was quickly revealed that this player was Reyna, and both staff and players were frustrated with his lack of effort in pre-tournament training. Given his, um, subdued performance in the Round of 16, it seems like Reyna wasn't ready to contribute -- for physical or emotional reasons, or both -- in Qatar. That just massively exacerbated the team's lack of depth.

This showed up, I think, in two ways. Firstly, the team faded in almost every second half -- not because Berhalter refused to adjust, but because his good players got tired and the only options to replace them were, to put it simply, much worse at playing soccer. And since there was no depth across the roster, some of the stalwarts like Tyler Adams, Yunus Musah and Robinson were just totally gassed and made killer mental errors against the Netherlands.

We love to act like some brilliant manager can just magically come in, sprinkle some tactics and make all of our players better, but that's just not how soccer works. Ultimately, talent is -- by far -- the most important driver of national team success. If the US wants to be better in 2026, they're gonna need Aaronson to be better and Reyna to be back fit, as well as being fully reintegrated into the program. But they also need at least one other rotation fullback -- Borussia Monchengladbach's Joe Scally, perhaps? -- and at least one other top-level central midfielder -- ??? -- who can spell the starters and still provide quality minutes.

In other words, the team in Qatar went nine deep. Get that up to 13 -- or 15 -- by 2024 and then the ceiling gets way higher and the manager can justifiably be held to a higher standard.

I think this is a very balanced and favorable analysis. Berhalter is kind of like the US version of England's Garreth Southgate - if you can't get a truly world class coach, do you really want somebody to come in and tear up the roster? I mean, these guys are so young and talented.

But they are right - we had 9 World Cup caliber guys in our starting 11. That's probably more talent than we've ever had. But we need like 15 guys of that quality to be able to make a deep run in the World Cup.

We need equal quality back-ups at both fullback spots, one centerback, one holding midfielder, one passer, one wing, one number nine. That would be 16-18 quality guys.

When we get close to those numbers, we will be able to legitimately compete with the best teams in these tournaments.

I think this is a very balanced and favorable analysis. Berhalter is kind of like the US version of England's Garreth Southgate - if you can't get a truly world class coach, do you really want somebody to come in and tear up the roster? I mean, these guys are so young and talented.

But they are right - we had 9 World Cup caliber guys in our starting 11. That's probably more talent than we've ever had. But we need like 15 guys of that quality to be able to make a deep run in the World Cup.

We need equal quality back-ups at both fullback spots, one centerback, one holding midfielder, one passer, one wing, one number nine. That would be 16-18 quality guys.

When we get close to those numbers, we will be able to legitimately compete with the best teams in these tournaments.
Yet this same team beat Morocco 3-0 earlier in the year in a match. Granted it was a friendly, but watching that match you got the sense of the two teams played 100 times the US wins 70 to 80 times because of the talent difference. A new coach comes in for Morocco and they make it to the semifinals in a non-flukey way. Coaching matters and can help a less talented team beat a more talented one.

The Dutch beat the US by forcing our center backs to make long passes and they couldn’t. Japan did the same thing and destroyed us right before the World Cup, Canada did the same thing during qualifying and beat us twice. There was no plan B in any of those matches from the coach… they just kept on doing. The best game the US played was against England when Berhalter move away from his favored 4-3-3 and went with a 4-4-2, yet he didn’t the same against the Dutch and fell for their trap.

Berhalter’s biggest mistake was insisting on playing crappy number 9s vs moving Weah to forward and pairing him with pulisic with Reyna or Aaronson as a true 10. He made this mistake over the last two years by never ever trying something other than 4-3-3 with a crappy striker even though it’s been obvious we don’t have a World Cup caliber one.

i

So we have more talent than ever but achieved very very little and we should celebrate? It is really weird that our media is always kissing ass.

So we have more talent than ever but achieved very very little and we should celebrate? It is really weird that our media is always kissing ass.

"achieved very, very little"?

We qualified, after missing the last WC. We drew with England, who is one of the Top 5 teams in the World.

The global press were impressed by the US midfield. Our goalkeeper played great.

"achieved very, very little"?

We qualified, after missing the last WC. We drew with England, who is one of the Top 5 teams in the World.

The global press were impressed by the US midfield. Our goalkeeper played great.

You don't get a cookie for qualifying. That is something that we SHOULD do. It is like praising Babers for going 5-7 after 1-10.

We played very well vs England, but we dropped points vs Wales when we should have won.

We couldn't score goals in all 4 games. In the group stage 22 of 31 scored more goals than the US. Of the teams that made it to the knockout, 12 of 16 scored 4 goals or more. The only 2 teams to score less than 3 were the US and Poland.

We SHOULD be making it to the knock out rounds. Doing the minimum expectation shouldn't get praise.

Thats nice that our midfield is finally worthy, but in the end our results were not there. You are acting like this is the best result we ever had. We have been much better in prior World Cups. We are still behind where we were.

You don't get a cookie for qualifying. That is something that we SHOULD do. It is like praising Babers for going 5-7 after 1-10.

We played very well vs England, but we dropped points vs Wales when we should have won.

We couldn't score goals in all 4 games. In the group stage 22 of 31 scored more goals than the US. Of the teams that made it to the knockout, 12 of 16 scored 4 goals or more. The only 2 teams to score less than 3 were the US and Poland.

We SHOULD be making it to the knock out rounds. Doing the minimum expectation shouldn't get praise.

Thats nice that our midfield is finally worthy, but in the end our results were not there. You are acting like this is the best result we ever had. We have been much better in prior World Cups. We are still behind where we were.
I think it's more nuanced than that... in the past we've won games by sucking up pressure and opportunistically getting goals on the counter. Super fast players like Landon Donovan and RunDMB were perfect for that style. This World Cup we actually played soccer and held our own, or more, against European teams.

I get it... only the scoreboard counts, but we have advanced significantly from previous versions of our team. While our game has gotten orders of magnitude better, what we are missing, ironically, is someone like Landon or Beasely who can use pure athleticism to score goals out of nothing or someone like Mathis or Dempsey who have the technical ability to finish the chances the team is creating, or even a big center forward like McBride or Jozy. Put a few of those guys on this team and we could be still playing.

So you can be one of those people who only looks at the score board or you can be one of those people who can actually see the quality on the field and realize that we are a striker away from being a huge problem for any team in the world.

Tell that to Italy, who failed to qualify. Or the Netherlands, who failed to qualify in the previous WC.

We DID make the knock-out rounds. I know enough to know that we did better than this ONE TIME since 1950.

If you think this team is worse than the Michael Bradley, Tim Howard team, I think you're mistaken.

Berhalter's teams were solid but his shortcomings were usually in tactical adjustments and having a system that creates offensive chances.

Would be fun if a top-level club coach who never managed internationally wanted to take charge. Like a Carlo Ancelotti (wife is Canadian) or...the special one.

I think it's more nuanced than that... in the past we've won games by sucking up pressure and opportunistically getting goals on the counter. Super fast players like Landon Donovan and RunDMB were perfect for that style. This World Cup we actually played soccer and held our own, or more, against European teams.

I get it... only the scoreboard counts, but we have advanced significantly from previous versions of our team. While our game has gotten orders of magnitude better, what we are missing, ironically, is someone like Landon or Beasely who can use pure athleticism to score goals out of nothing or someone like Mathis or Dempsey who have the technical ability to finish the chances the team is creating, or even a big center forward like McBride or Jozy. Put a few of those guys on this team and we could be still playing.

So you can be one of those people who only looks at the score board or you can be one of those people who can actually see the quality on the field and realize that we are a striker away from being a huge problem for any team in the world.

See those are two different conversations IMO.

We are closing the gap talent wise. That is reason for optimism.

But at the same time we are not getting results. Not wrapping up qualification until match 13 and coming in 3rd isn't a great result. Getting 5 points in the World Cup group stage in a so so group while only getting 2 goals is not a great result. Following that up with a 3-1 loss in the knockout.

We have had better results with less talent. We should be praising the future potential of US soccer but we shouldn't be praising what this squad "accomplished" this cycle.

I feel like the US soccer media is a bunch of cheerleaders and rarely offer objectivity.

Berhalter's teams were solid but his shortcomings were usually in tactical adjustments and having a system that creates offensive chances.

Would be fun if a top-level club coach who never managed internationally wanted to take charge. Like a Carlo Ancelotti (wife is Canadian) or...the special one.

I think that, as that ESPNFC.com article said, it wasn't so much a lack of tactical adjustments, as it was a lack of players of the same talent level to be able to carry out the responsibilities of the person they are replacing.

I would love to see Carlo Ancelotti with this team. I would love to see Jose Mourinho, because he would tighten up our defense. I would love to see Jurgen Klopp, if he leaves Liverpool in the near future.

I think if we can build up our roster depth with another 5 or more guys at the level of the guys we already have, we can make some serious noise.

See those are two different conversations IMO.

We are closing the gap talent wise. That is reason for optimism.

But at the same time we are not getting results. Not wrapping up qualification until match 13 and coming in 3rd isn't a great result. Getting 5 points in the World Cup group stage in a so so group while only getting 2 goals is not a great result. Following that up with a 3-1 loss in the knockout.

We have had better results with less talent. We should be praising the future potential of US soccer but we shouldn't be praising what this squad "accomplished" this cycle.

I feel like the US soccer media is a bunch of cheerleaders and rarely offer objectivity.

Fair points. Not advocating for continuing with Berhalter, but starting from scratch with a whole new batch of mostly very young guys, completely turning over the talent pool to purge any connections to the past, I think he did most of what he was tasked with doing.

I think anyone who is fair, will admit that Berhalter brought about the stylistic change that Jurgen Klopp talked about, but didn't have the talent to play his desired style. They were still a defend-and-counter team, roster wise, with a guy who wanted to see Gegen-Pressing, and a fluid offensive style. We just didn't have the players for that.

But by retiring all of those guys from the last generation, he recruited a lot of these dual-nationality guys to our side. He created a pretty good culture, by any objective measure. These guys have a great mindset, they work really hard, and they are more skilled than any team we've had before.

Before most of them are 20-24 years old. It's just the nature of things that they are going to mature and they are going to get better. It's not like this was the "last hurrah" of this group. This is the appetizer. The "entre" is yet to come, in 2026 on home soil.

Maybe Berhalter is not the right guy to continue, but hats off for the job he did. He did what Jurgen Klinsmann, a World Cup champion, had hoped to do. We are SO MUCH father along for his stewardship of the program. I am grateful, but we also probably ought to be looking for the coach who can take our national team to the next level.

But like England - don't ditch the current guy, who built this team, unless you have a WORLD CLASS coach to replace him.

I think that, as that ESPNFC.com article said, it wasn't so much a lack of tactical adjustments, as it was a lack of players of the same talent level to be able to carry out the responsibilities of the person they are replacing.

I would love to see Carlo Ancelotti with this team. I would love to see Jose Mourinho, because he would tighten up our defense. I would love to see Jurgen Klopp, if he leaves Liverpool in the near future.

I think if we can build up our roster depth with another 5 or more guys at the level of the guys we already have, we can make some serious noise.

Jose Mourinho in a tournament setting I think would make a fantastic manager.

Pep

His methods and rotations are kind of complicated, though. It took him 2 or 3 years to adapt at Man City. A national team coach doesn't get that much time with the players to teach them stuff that's too intricate to pull off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom