2022 USMNT Thread | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

2022 USMNT Thread

Yep in the World Cup... chances are he will have his ideal lineup in his first game and that's it. People will get hurt and carded. I don't see Gregg having it in him to game plan for specific opponents and we are not good enough to impose our style on all opponents.

Hopefully these two games were experimental and he goes back to a more direct style of play for the World Cup.

I sure hope so. Not sure what he could get out of the experimentation but I'm not getting my hopes up that things look much better game 1.

I sure hope so. Not sure what he could get out of the experimentation but I'm not getting my hopes up that things look much better game 1.
My prediction... US will bunker up in the WC and play on the counter and not play out of the back. Every time the US needed points the last 2 years or so this is what seemed to happen... Gold Cup and Nations League finals, must win home games. The only games I've seen the US to build from the back so heavily and have it work were against Mexico in qualifying.

My prediction... US will bunker up in the WC and play on the counter and not play out of the back. Every time the US needed points the last 2 years or so this is what seemed to happen... Gold Cup and Nations League finals, must win home games. The only games I've seen the US to build from the back so heavily and have it work were against Mexico in qualifying.
If that is the plan then they should be doing that most games and committing to a style and drilling down so every player knows what to do.

GGG is a fool. Average MLS manager who got the job because of his brother.

If that is the plan then they should be doing that most games and committing to a style and drilling down so every player knows what to do.

Well anything less than getting out of group I have to think triggers a change soon after.

Berhalter Ball Blows

well they finally picked a roster.. Like SU too many injuries at a bad time to feel good about much of the team.. 10 more days.

Is Jordan Morris really the best we could do?

Ok.

Guess Pepi should have stayed in MLS.

Screenshot_20221109-212731_Twitter.jpg

I'm glad they added Tim Ream. He and Robinson have some chemistry from playing together at Fulham, and are doing pretty well. Ream is a good insurance policy to have. If Aaron Long isn't up to snuff, we know that Ream is experienced in facing the very best attackers in the world in the Premier League.

I'm glad that we're mostly healthy in midfield. We probably could have gone with someone other than Haji Wright for the number 9 position. Let's just hope they all stay healthy for another week or so.

well they finally picked a roster.. Like SU too many injuries at a bad time to feel good about much of the team.. 10 more days.

0-2-1 is my guess. Early ticket home

I'm glad they added Tim Ream. He and Robinson have some chemistry from playing together at Fulham, and are doing pretty well. Ream is a good insurance policy to have. If Aaron Long isn't up to snuff, we know that Ream is experienced in facing the very best attackers in the world in the Premier League.

I'm glad that we're mostly healthy in midfield. We probably could have gone with someone other than Haji Wright for the number 9 position. Let's just hope they all stay healthy for another week or so.

If Jedi and Musah are healthy enough and in good enough form that gives me a glimmer of hope. I still worry about bad turnovers on service from Turner and giving up cheap goals we can't overcome.

My first XI vs Wales (assuming rotation for match 2)

Turner; Robinson, Ream, Zimmerman, Dest; Adams, Musah, Reyna; Pulisic, Sargent, Weah.

McKennie and Aaronson come off the bench in Match 1 but likely start Match 2 in some form.

Turner; Robinson, Ream, Zimmerman, Dest; Adams, Musah, Reyna; Pulisic, Sargent, Weah.

McKennie and Aaronson come off the bench in Match 1 but likely start Match 2 in some form.

One big question is can Sargent break through. Weah has been really dangerous at times and a problem so maybe that combination next to Pulisic finally finds a groove? Not holding my breath

One big question is can Sargent break through. Weah has been really dangerous at times and a problem so maybe that combination next to Pulisic finally finds a groove? Not holding my breath
This "system" GGG uses never seems to create a lot of offense tbh. However I do think Sargent is in some of the best form of his career and his off-ball movement has been very sharp this season.

0-2-1 is my guess. Early ticket home

I think they could actually beat both Wales and Iran. That would clearly get them through. Realistically, I think they beat one of them, and might actually draw with England, because they will really be up for that. 1-1-1 puts them on the cusp of qualifying for the knock out stage.

That's a pretty good idea, actually, although it may be controversial.

This "system" GGG uses never seems to create a lot of offense tbh. However I do think Sargent is in some of the best form of his career and his off-ball movement has been very sharp this season.

Berhalter is kind of like Thomas Tuchel - kind of defensive oriented. He wants to play progressive build-from-the-back attacks. They have found a pool of players able to play that (modern) style. There are a couple key injuries, including our Miles Robinson, who make Berhalter's style more possible.

We have players from European teams who are playing the modern pressing & build from the back style. We may not love Berhalter, but he has basically implemented what Jurgen Klinsmann wanted to do, with a younger, more malleable group of players, whose club coaches are already teaching them to play this way.

I think Berhalter is a bit testy with his personal relationships with potential members of the player pool (John Brooks, etc.), but he has pushed American football forward on the world stage. If they don't make the knock out round, he will be replaced, but he's done a pretty good job, overall. He took too long to get involved, and the Federation wasted a year with Dave Saracen giving try-outs to about 50 new players. But they got film on them all, and it helped us a lot in identifying the next generation of players.

I'm glad we did a total reset. We're kind of like Arsenal right now, with lots of talented young players to try to mold into a team. I think it can be done in time for the World Cup of '26. I think we can be a force in the next one, on home soil.

That's a pretty good idea, actually, although it may be controversial.

Yup. I would love to see Musah play as a true #8 CM with Aaronson or Reyna as the CAM in front.

Leaving Friday for Doha and will be attending all the USA group stage matches. Let’s see what the boys can do! Hoping for a good result in Match 1, all it takes is a bit of magic. Gregg’s tactics don’t give me a warm and fuzzy feeling that’s for sure.

If our midfield can play as a cohesive unit as we’ve seen in some matches they may be strong enough to carry us to the knockouts, but the last window and injuries at CB have me a bit worried.

I think they could actually beat both Wales and Iran. That would clearly get them through. Realistically, I think they beat one of them, and might actually draw with England, because they will really be up for that. 1-1-1 puts them on the cusp of qualifying for the knock out stage.
Yeah. Wales is the kicker. Can they come out the gate strong and notch a win to start things off?

I guess it'll depend on the starting 11. I worry that GGG will put in some funky combo that gives up a cheap goal and then his turtle shell offense won't be able to respond.

I'd love to see him come out aggressive v England and attack their middies and D. I think England is weak in midfield and their D while potentially Uber talented, have at times in other competition, had some miscues. England is stout in goal so any attack would have to be persistent. The English can be deadly with attack, but they too play way too conservative with the talent they have - unfortunately it only takes one mistake and they will snipe one on us.

Iran, could be the trap game. Sneaky tough team and they'll be amped up with ample crowd support. This game could trip us up.

So 1-1-1 seems about right. Would thoroughly enjoy going 2-0-1 or 3-0-0

I assume some of you have seen the EA Sports played a computer simulated World Cup, with Argentina emerging as the winner.

I noticed that they had Pulisic as scoring 5 goals in 5 games for the US. I haven't been able to find the individual game results online yet, but I'm curious how they saw us doing in our group, who we "beat" in the Round of 16, and who we lost to in the Quarterfinals.

If anyone finds it online, please share a link. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom