2022 Yankees Season | Page 114 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Yankees Season

Out of maladaptive curiosity, I just checked the Dodgers box score. Gallo played...and got a hit! W..T..F! Did anyone watch this game? How did that happen?

I’m reading things here and there about the fans driving Gallo out of NY. No, I’m pretty sure it was Joey hitting .150 with a bazillion strikeouts that did that. The fans just made their feelings known about his lack of production.

I’m reading things here and there about the fans driving Gallo out of NY. No, I’m pretty sure it was Joey hitting .150 with a bazillion strikeouts that did that. The fans just made their feelings known about his lack of production.

Ernst & Julio Gallo had more hits in NY than Joey.

I agree with that, but I do feel bad for him. I am sure he did not want to fail.

I agree with that, but I do feel bad for him. I am sure he did not want to fail.
No, of course he didn’t want to fail. I’m sure with each strikeout leading to more booing, the pressure on him, both internally and externally, increased. NY is a tough town to play in. LA, although also a big market, is a much different vibe than NY. I think when his contract runs out he’ll find himself in a small-midsized market where he’ll end up hitting .220 with 30 bombs and be a much more content person.

Not a true Yankee?

Cole can be such a puzzling pitcher sometimes.

Is this the 3rd time he's been abused in the first inning?
I understand people's recent frustration with Cole. I take comfort in the larger sample size.

Since joining the Yankees in 2020, Cole is 8th in WAR, 11th in ERA, 9th in FIP, and 2nd in xFIP. We might all define "ace" differently, but he has clearly been one of the top 10-15 starting pitchers in baseball during that period. I suspect he will trend towards these numbers as the season goes on.

Also, there is an unfounded narrative that Cole is not a big game pitcher. I suspect that's largely because of his bad performance in last year's wild card game. Despite that, Cole has a 2.93 ERA in 86 postseason innings, which includes three starts with the Yankees in 2020. Again, he might not fit everyone's definition of an "ace," but he is pretty damn good.

Oh my goodness gracious...

Friday Aug 19 is John Sterling and Suzyn Waldman Talking Bobblehead Night again. Must be they didn't give all of them away last year.

I understand people's recent frustration with Cole. I take comfort in the larger sample size.

Since joining the Yankees in 2020, Cole is 8th in WAR, 11th in ERA, 9th in FIP, and 2nd in xFIP. We might all define "ace" differently, but he has clearly been one of the top 10-15 starting pitchers in baseball during that period. I suspect he will trend towards these numbers as the season goes on.

Also, there is an unfounded narrative that Cole is not a big game pitcher. I suspect that's largely because of his bad performance in last year's wild card game. Despite that, Cole has a 2.93 ERA in 86 postseason innings, which includes three starts with the Yankees in 2020. Again, he might not fit everyone's definition of an "ace," but he is pretty damn good.

I don't dispute your point, but it does seem he's not been the same (read: dominating to the point of being almost unhittable) since they outlawed "sticky stuff." I'm willing to be proven wrong.

Oh my goodness gracious...

Friday Aug 19 is John Sterling and Suzyn Waldman Talking Bobblehead Night again. Must be they didn't give all of them away last year.

I want that.

I don't dispute your point, but it does seem he's not been the same (read: dominating to the point of being almost unhittable) since they outlawed "sticky stuff." I'm willing to be proven wrong.
Alright, beginning 6/21/21 (when MLB starting cracking down on sticky stuff) to today, Cole, in 223 innings, is 15th in WAR, 26th in ERA, 14th in FIP, and 3rd in xFIP. He is definitely less dominant, but still Ace-ish. As the gap between his FIP and xFIP suggests, Cole's home run rate (1.41/9 innings) is quite high for a pitcher with such a low ERA. His remarkably high strikeout rate (11.95/9 innings) tends to make up for it.

Yeah, he would have been a lot more
For me, Gallo would have been a more sympathetic figure if he had shown the least bit of interest in changing an approach that was clearly dysfunctional and inefficient. When you are hitting .160 and don't try to go the other way or just put the ball in play, it seems unreasonable not to expect fans to be frustrated with such intransigency.

When you are hitting .160 and don't try to go the other way or just put the ball in play, it seems unreasonable not to expect fans to be frustrated with such intransigency.
I don’t think it’s that easy to do something you’ve never done before. Your time is probably better served trying to get back to doing what you did well in the past.

Alright, beginning 6/21/21 (when MLB starting cracking down on sticky stuff) to today, Cole, in 223 innings, is 15th in WAR, 26th in ERA, 14th in FIP, and 3rd in xFIP. He is definitely less dominant, but still Ace-ish. As the gap between his FIP and xFIP suggests, Cole's home run rate (1.41/9 innings) is quite high for a pitcher with such a low ERA. His remarkably high strikeout rate (11.95/9 innings) tends to make up for it.
I count 38 starts since 6/21/21. In 11 of those he gave up between 4 & 7 earned runs, and in 1 game in April 2022 he gave up 2 ER but couldn’t make it out of the 2nd after throwing 68 pitches. So roughly 30% of his starts range from sub-par to unacceptable.
I wonder if others with the same high profile have similar “failure” rates?

I don't know what FIP and xFIP are, and I consider WAR subjective to the point of nonsense. So I'm obviously not a subscriber to the new analytics, but I accept that you are. Fair enough, different strokes for different folks. But regardless of the metric(s) used, he's certainly not even near the guy they signed for $36M, who mowed down NYY batters in the ALCS.

I still like him and happy to go to playoff war with him as the #1.

It’s just odd sometimes how badly he can start. 3 times isn’t the end of the world. But it’s just weird.

and I consider WAR subjective to the point of nonsense.
It is the opposite of subjective. It's a comparison to a standard like every other measurement. Whether one thinks it's worthwhile is subjective, but the statistic itself is as objective as counting home runs or calculating batting average.

Also, calling something "nonsense" isn't exactly in the spirit of a "different strokes for different folks" post.

It is the opposite of subjective. It's a comparison to a standard like every other measurement. Whether one thinks it's worthwhile is subjective, but the statistic itself is as objective as counting home runs or calculating batting average.

Also, calling something "nonsense" isn't exactly in the spirit of a "different strokes for different folks" post.

Well, actually I stated it's nonsense to me, while acknowledging that was not so to you. Anyway, you're a good poster and it was not my intent to offend you, so I'll just leave it there. And like Chip said, I'm happy to have him as the No. 1 starter going into the playoffs.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom