2023-2024 Coaching Carousel | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

2023-2024 Coaching Carousel

and I don't disagree with your general view point. It probably is time for a change, I just don't think if he gets to a bowl game it will happen. And on top of that there is so much work that needs to be done to the roster for next year to try and be remotely competitive. WR's, O line, another qb besides the freshman etc

Like I said, almost can guarantee that Rocky and Beck have 2 year deals as well, so that's part of the equation too. It's just the reality of the situation.

2025 going to be brutal as well

Brutal might be an understatement:

and I don't disagree with your general view point. It probably is time for a change, I just don't think if he gets to a bowl game it will happen. And on top of that there is so much work that needs to be done to the roster for next year to try and be remotely competitive. WR's, O line, another qb besides the freshman etc

Like I said, almost can guarantee that Rocky and Beck have 2 year deals as well, so that's part of the equation too. It's just the reality of the situation.

I hope Wildhack didn't give a 1st time OC a two year deal.

Remember when Pasqauloni got fired after making a bowl game. Good times.
And you know what happened after right? They made the wrong hire and on top of the wrong hire, Nancy Cantor would not let him have the QB he wanted who only turned out to be one of the greats of his era. On top of making the bad hire, they destroyed the talent pipelines that had been established and have yet to be restored nearly two decades later.

And you know what happened after right? They made the wrong hire and on top of the wrong hire, Nancy Cantor would not let him have the QB he wanted who only turned out to be one of the greats of his era. On top of making the bad hire, they destroyed the talent pipelines that had been established and have yet to be restored nearly two decades later.

You're not suggesting we keep our current coach because of that are you ?

FIRE WILDHACK!

come on man

I honestly don't case about Wildhack. He can be the AD until he's a 100. I do think it's annoying af that he's held in such rarefied air though. BUT HE'S AN ALUMNI !!!!

Last edited:

It is all in the game though. If SU is playing the game they can't half way it. If they need to eat 3 salaries, the game is the game. If SU is not willing to play the game, that is fine but don't pretend to be in the game with your fanbase and then not really be in the game.

I agree that there is a lot that needs to be worked on roster wise. Dino is part of the reason the roster is messed up and he has shown no ability to build a roster. So wouldn't moving on have a greater probability of fixing that issue? It isn't just an NIL issue either, as NIL first started impacting 2022. Can't use NIL as an excuse for the bad rosters prior to that.

It is all in the game though. If SU is playing the game they can't half way it. If they need to eat 3 salaries, the game is the game. If SU is not willing to play the game, that is fine but don't pretend to be in the game with your fanbase and then not really be in the game.

I agree that there is a lot that needs to be worked on roster wise. Dino is part of the reason the roster is messed up and he has shown no ability to build a roster. So wouldn't moving on have a greater probability of fixing that issue? It isn't just an NIL issue either, as NIL first started impacting 2022. Can't use NIL as an excuse for the bad rosters prior to that.
They play the game with what they have available. Going and getting Anae and Beck is exactly that. Getting Rocky Long as well, you just don’t like the way they play it because it has given really no success but just throwing money around doesn’t guarantee anything either. They extended Dino and it hasn’t worked out

They play the game with what they have available. Going and getting Anae and Beck is exactly that. Getting Rocky Long as well, you just don’t like the way they play it because it has given really no success but just throwing money around doesn’t guarantee anything either. They extended Dino and it hasn’t worked out

Keeping Dino for next season because you do not want to eat $6M, is not playing the game.

We aren’t that lucky
How would you feel about Dino going there? I know you have ties to and are a fan of that program. I think he's more suited for that level of football.

Keeping Dino for next season because you do not want to eat $6M, is not playing the game.
I think you would be keeping Dino for going to back to back bowl games and again whether you agree with it or not isn't the point but that would be the reasoning. Why pay the money when the results are somewhat acceptable? You can at least spin in that way. Everybody wants coaches fired but unless you have serious $ we are all just along for the ride anyway so it really doesn't matter.

I will never get over how fast and loose people are with other's money as well. Again, why write a check for 6-7 mil if you don't have to when it can be better spent elsewhere. Because State U is doing it? Please

Syracuse stepped up to the plate and gave Dino the big extension the fans were clamoring for and it didn't work out, now we reap what we sow. Pretty cut and dry. We played the game YOUR way and it didn't work out

Last edited:
Brutal might be an understatement:

A couple of weeks ago, it had @ FSU instead of @ Miami. Slight reprieve there, based on current year results only.

I think ND still has to get re-worked with the new teams coming in, so that could change. Hopefully will change.

I think you would be keeping Dino for going to back to back bowl games and again whether you agree with it or not isn't the point but that would be the reasoning. Why pay the money when the results are somewhat acceptable? You can at least spin in that way. Everybody wants coaches fired but unless you have serious $ we are all just along for the ride anyway so it really doesn't matter.

I will never get over how fast and loose people are with other's money as well. Again, why write a check for 6-7 mil if you don't have to when it can be better spent elsewhere. Because State U is doing it? Please

You have now brought in two parts to this. The money and whether he deserves to be fired.

For the later, SU needs to crap or get off the pot. If they feel 6-6 is good enough to commit to, that is fine. From my POV that would be a mistake given the entire body of work and next year's roster makeup. Heck, even just counting the last 25 games. Plus, the fan apathy toward the program. But if SU feels that way, go ahead and commit to Dino. I won't like it but I can understand it. SU would be in the game but IMO a bad player.

Letting Dino come back with one year on his contract is not making a decision. I rather Dino be given a 2 year extension than be a lame duck next year. And if I am Dino, going 7-5 or better against a weak 2024 schedule means I am out the door in 2025. I would find another job. No way I come back to SU. SU going this route is not playing the game.

On the money end...

Eating a contract when it is time to move on is part of the game. If it is time to move on (not debating whether it is or is not with Dino) and SU is not willing to eat the money, then they are not in the game are they? I have no problem with SU not being in the game. Just be transparent about it.

So if it is not time to move on, commit to Dino. If it is time to move on and you are in the game, fire Dino. Trying to be cheap is not playing the game. Not making a decision one way or the other is not playing the game.

If SU is not willing to eat any money, again no issue. After 2024 go find a guy like Mora, Martin, etc and pay them $2M a year for 4 years with performance bonuses. After 3 years you can extend them 2 years or move on. Put the money saved into facilities/NIL (indirect of course). SU wouldn't be in the game but we all know it, so it will be ok. Pretending to be in the game when you aren't willing to actually play when the time comes, is a disservice to the fan base. You cannot play both sides.

I hope Wildhack didn't give a 1st time OC a two year deal.
I have no idea about Beck's contract but I have seen an agent promoting him on X with tweets about how SU won on a game plan he implemented in one week.

I have no idea about Beck's contract but I have seen an agent promoting him on X with tweets about how SU won on a game plan he implemented in one week.
I’m sure it’s a 2 year deal, why would he stay otherwise

Yeah. That caught my eye as well.

I'd say his eyes are look for the next safe landing spot, which I do not fault him for

I’m sure it’s a 2 year deal, why would he stay otherwise

Who said it was two years?

He was given the opportunity as a P5 OC. Would he have turned that down with only a one year deal?

Did Anae have a two year deal? If he had a two year deal, did he buy himself out? If Anae had a one year deal, why give Beck a two year deal?

You have now brought in two parts to this. The money and whether he deserves to be fired.

For the later, SU needs to crap or get off the pot. If they feel 6-6 is good enough to commit to, that is fine. From my POV that would be a mistake given the entire body of work and next year's roster makeup. Heck, even just counting the last 25 games. Plus, the fan apathy toward the program. But if SU feels that way, go ahead and commit to Dino. I won't like it but I can understand it. SU would be in the game but IMO a bad player.

Letting Dino come back with one year on his contract is not making a decision. I rather Dino be given a 2 year extension than be a lame duck next year. And if I am Dino, going 7-5 or better against a weak 2024 schedule means I am out the door in 2025. I would find another job. No way I come back to SU. SU going this route is not playing the game.

On the money end...

Eating a contract when it is time to move on is part of the game. If it is time to move on (not debating whether it is or is not with Dino) and SU is not willing to eat the money, then they are not in the game are they? I have no problem with SU not being in the game. Just be transparent about it.

So if it is not time to move on, commit to Dino. If it is time to move on and you are in the game, fire Dino. Trying to be cheap is not playing the game. Not making a decision one way or the other is not playing the game.

If SU is not willing to eat any money, again no issue. After 2024 go find a guy like Mora, Martin, etc and pay them $2M a year for 4 years with performance bonuses. After 3 years you can extend them 2 years or move on. Put the money saved into facilities/NIL (indirect of course). SU wouldn't be in the game but we all know it, so it will be ok. Pretending to be in the game when you aren't willing to actually play when the time comes, is a disservice to the fan base. You cannot play both sides.
being fiscally responsible is a disservice to the fanbase? OK I get it now the only way that Syracuse can prove to you that they are serious about putting a decent product on the field when it comes to football is to straight up burn money. Ok. Your line of reasoning, because this school is willing to throw money out the window ( schools with more of it) then syracuse should do the same because that's what the fans deserve.

Like I said, they gave Dino the big extension, $ and years and it has not worked out. You just can't live with it

You must not be a fan of small market baseball teams either

Aren't they non-profits?
what does that have to do with anything? Non profit's also operate on a budget last time I checked. They also hire and fire employees, retain employees etc

being fiscally responsible is a disservice to the fanbase? OK

Tangenting a bit now aren't we?

Offering a contract that you cannot afford to get out of is not fiscally responsible, is it?

The whole system of college athletics is not fiscally responsible, is it?

No problem with SU prioritizing being fiscally responsible. But if that is your priority then you are not playing the game, are you?
SU just needs to be transparent about it. Hey fans we prioritize being fiscally responsible, take that into account with your expectations and fandom. Instead we get... we are all in on college sports give us your money, while behind the scenes SU is not prioritizing being competitive. Can't have it both ways. Go all in and ACT like it, or don't go all in and let your fans know. This half azz BS is a disservice to the fans.

Tangenting a bit now aren't we?

Offering a contract that you cannot afford to get out of is not fiscally responsible, is it?

The whole system of college athletics is not fiscally responsible, is it?

No problem with SU prioritizing being fiscally responsible. But if that is your priority then you are not playing the game, are you?
SU just needs to be transparent about it. Hey fans we prioritize being fiscally responsible, take that into account with your expectations and fandom. Instead we get... we are all in on college sports give us your money, while behind the scenes SU is not prioritizing being competitive. Can't have it both ways. Go all in and ACT like it, or don't go all in and let your fans know. This half azz BS is a disservice to the fans.
"This half azz BS is a disservice to the fans." Also giving money to Syracuse sports in any capacity is 100% voluntary nobody has a gun to their head here and most logical fans understand where Syracuse football fits into the current landscape and why many are Ok with back to back bowl games. If you despise it that much take up another hobby. You work with what you have available, plain and simple. The peanut gallery opinion and whining about it won't change anything.

We will just never agree here. I just cant see this line of reasoning. I will end it at this, if Syracuse football is EVER going to be as good as you think as a fan you are worthy of it would take a once in a lifetime type coach and they will need to come in at a reasonable price and be willing to stay here for below market value as well, not peanuts but something along the lines of what Dino is being paid, maybe 15% more. You will just never be able to live with that and I guess that is your choice. I use to have similar opinions but got older and don't care as much anymore.

But I will keep my seasons and continue to donate where I can regardless of who is coaching. I don't think throwing stones at the University or the AD is very productive either.

Last edited:
"This half azz BS is a disservice to the fans." Also giving money to Syracuse sports in any capacity is 100% voluntary nobody has a gun to their head here and most logical fans understand where Syracuse football fits into the current landscape and why many are Ok with back to back bowl games. If you despise it that much take up another hobby. You work with what you have available, plain and simple. The peanut gallery opinion and whining about it won't change anything.

We will just never agree here. I just cant see this line of reasoning. I will end it at this, if Syracuse football is EVER going to be as good as you think as a fan you are worthy of it would take a once in a lifetime type coach and they will need to come in at a reasonable price and be willing to stay here for below market value as well, not peanuts but something along the lines of what Dino is being paid, maybe 15% more. You will just never be able to live with that and I guess that is your choice. I use to have similar opinions but got older and don't care as much anymore.

But I will keep my seasons and continue to donate where I can regardless of who is coaching. I don't think throwing stones at the University or the AD is very productive either.

So it will take a once in a lifetime HC for SU to average 3.5 Ws in ACC play and 7 Ws overall? Now I know, thanks.

So it will take a once in a lifetime HC for SU to average 3.5 Ws in ACC play and 7 Ws overall? Now I know, thanks.
Please. You will be calling for that coach to be fired in 3 years as well if they only win 7 games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom