2023-2024 Coaching Carousel | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2023-2024 Coaching Carousel

I'm not sure what your question mark is for. He's had huge recruiting classes, huge NIL, huge SEC money and facilities, and hasn't done squat.
6-4 is good for that program in the SECW.

They expect more

They won't settle for mediocre and will make a change to chase wins

Some programs have been successful with this approach, others, not so much
I think it is the way to go for all schools. Be more like European soccer teams, especially with the portal.

Give a HC a 5 year contract. After year 3 fire or extend 2 years. And do the same every 2 years moving forward. There is no reason to tie up money long term. It also keeps the HCs accountable. They need to stay hungry.

There has to be more to the story here. He is an alumnus and had a good year last year. They can still make the MWC CG too.
Their last four head coaches before him have all been wildly successful and set a high bar:
Houston Nutt (only one year, losing record, improved program +4 games from year before)
Dirk Koetter
Dan Hawkins
Chris Peterson
Bryan Harsin

The first two coaches in their program history went
71-19
59-21

Whatever they are doing out there with their coach evaluations for football, we should be doing too

Last edited:
I’ve been told that doing this is stupid

What makes it’s debatable is what the AD said about goals for the season.

When the AD has said, on more than one occasion that the goal for the program was to play in a 13th game and the coach gets the program to a 13th game, barring something egregious, it would appear inconsistent and possibly hypocritical to let your HC go IF he gets this team to a bowl game (still a big IF).

I’d love nothing more than to see this team go to a bowl game and then see the program go to a third consecutive bowl game next year.

IF we make a bowl game, extend the HC contract by one year making it a two year contract that rolls over every year the team makes a bowl game with the buyout being nothing more than the second year of the contract.

We are going to need to rebuild the roster almost every year, so we better continue to build the NIL opportunities available for Syracuse football players. We need to be competitive with the second quartile of the league (26%-50%) to offset some of the natural challenges to go with recruiting to Syracuse. This isn’t in the coach. This is on the community. I hope the efforts this week to appeal to successful alumni in the NYC are were productive.

Last edited:
What makes it’s debatable is what the AD said about goals for the season.

When the AD has said, on more than one occasion that the goal for the program was to play in a 13th game and the coach gets the program to a 13th game, barring something egregious, it would appear inconsistent and possibly hypocritical to let your HC go IF he gets this team to a bowl game (still a big IF).

I’d love nothing mora than to see this team go to a bowl game and then see the program go to a third consecutive bowl game next year.

IF we make a bowl game, extent the HC contract by one year making it a two year contract that rolls over every year the team makes a bowl game with the buyout being nothing more than the second year of the contract.

We are going to need to rebuild the roster almost every year, so we better continue to build the NIL opportunities available for Syracuse football players. We need to be competitive with the second quartile of the league (26%-50%) to offset some of the natural challenges to go with recruiting to Syracuse. This isn’t in the coach. This is on the community. I hope the efforts the week to appeal to successful alumni in the NYC are were productive.

Basically at this point what would be best for the program would be a win this coming week, and announce an extension of Coach Babers (don't need to give specifics - like you said, add one year to current).

Get that albatross off the staff neck for recruiting purposes (not just HS, but portal too).

Then get the bowl game and do it again next year (go bowling).

Three straight bowl years (heck, back to back even), despite the warts, is something we have not done in a long time.

What probably will happen will be an ugly loss and then waiting another week while other programs make moves.

It will come down to Wake. You have to imagine if it comes down to Wake game, the team will rally around the staff.

Basically at this point what would be best for the program would be a win this coming week, and announce an extension of Coach Babers (don't need to give specifics - like you said, add one year to current).

Get that albatross off the staff neck for recruiting purposes (not just HS, but portal too).

Three straight bowl years (heck, back to back even), despite the warts, is something we have not done in a long time.

What probably will happen will be an ugly loss and then waiting another week while other programs make moves.

It will come down to Wake. You have to imagine if it comes down to Wake game, the team will rally around the staff.
Yeah and as long as Wake doesn’t pull off a massive upset at ND next week, they have nothing to play for, and we will have a ton.

The problem is with just adding a year to the contract is it will make it difficult to retain quality assistants (there's a reason we lost so many last offseason), much less recruit.

Yeah and as long as Wake doesn’t pull off a massive upset at ND next week, they have nothing to play for, and we will have a ton.

Except DB teams have been in situations numerous times where 1-2 wins would earn a bowl game and can’t get it done. So who knows what will happen.

Except DB teams have been in situations numerous times where 1-2 wins would earn a bowl game and can’t get it done. So who knows what will happen.
Oh yes, I am far from convinced we will get there but we certainly have a pretty good chance due to the opponent

Oh yes, I am far from convinced we will get there but we certainly have a pretty good chance due to the opponent

I agree and also expect that any scenario can happen in the next two games.