2023-24 Portal Options | Page 138 | Syracusefan.com

2023-24 Portal Options

Apropos of nothing—or maybe because it reminded me of tuning into this Portal thread every ten minutes:

Funny-Bear-Meme-I-Cannot-Believe-Someone-Froze-My-Apples-Picture.jpg

So barring an unexpected departure, I believe we’re done with the portal for this year.

We wait for Judah’s decision, if he stays in the draft, I think we look for a high school guard.

The upgrade in athleticism from 2 years ago is ridiculous, but frankly, it needed to be.

Red is going to get players, that is not going to be an issue, just need to see what he does with them.

I may be in a huge minority here, but the idea of running the offense through Jesse was never appealing to me and I think it would have been a mistake.

His departure may be a blessing..,though I understand that we’re losing a lot of production.

It’s been a rather productive off season otherwise.

That guy has all of 200 followers, so forgive me for being skeptical.

We're at 11 scholarships, 12 if you look ahead to Judah returning, or a replacement for him if he stays in the draft. There are worse ideas than bringing in Udeh to give McLeod a little bit of a push, but Udeh seems to want a starting role or at least a clearer path to starter's minutes than what we can provide with McLeod on the roster.

I'd rather see that final scholarship go to another shooter, preferably a tall-ish one in case Benny regresses.

I think we've got those on the roster already.

I don't see a real PG on the roster. That would be my number 1 priority right now. Ideally, one who can make an open three.

So barring an unexpected departure, I believe we’re done with the portal for this year.

We wait for Judah’s decision, if he stays in the draft, I think we look for a high school guard.

The upgrade in athleticism from 2 years ago is ridiculous, but frankly, it needed to be.

Red is going to get players, that is not going to be an issue, just need to see what he does with them.

I may be in a huge minority here, but the idea of running the offense through Jesse was never appealing to me and I think it would have been a mistake.

His departure may be a blessing..,though I understand that we’re losing a lot of production.

It’s been a rather productive off season otherwise.

I agree, there have been upgrades in talent. I thought Jesse was a poor low post center, offensively, and was definitely better diving to the rim, or facing up his opponent. His footwork with his back to the basket was not good.

I am concerned about the lack of a pure PG, though. So, it would seem that our choices are JJ Starling or Quadir Copeland to start at point, assuming Judah is gone. Then we have Westry and Justin Taylor for the 2G. That's only 1 shooter among our top 4 guards, and really nobody who has run an offense before.

If he doesn't get one more guard (when we heard recently that he wanted two ...) that would seem to be a big mistake in terms of roster composition, especially for your first year as head coach.

Why have zero PGs on the roster? People will press the hell out of us, and we won't be able to generate open shots UNLESS we are running the break. That means we HAVE to rebound, or we are going to struggle again offensively. That means our starting forwards are Maliq Brown and Benny, because you have to rebound to run.

So, my starting lineup right now would be:

PG: JJ Starling
SG: Chance Westry
SF: Benny Williams
PF: Maliq Brown
C: Naheem McLeod

2nd team:
PG: Quadir Copeland
SG: Justin Taylor
SF: Chris Bell
PF: Peter Carey
C: Mounir Hima

Only 3 guys out of 10 who are proven shooters, two of whom are on the second team.

We need a rotation PG, preferably a senior from the portal, stepping up from a G5 team.

We need somebody to play 20-25 minutes, be secure with the ball, create shots for others, be able to hit a foul shot at the end of the game, and be a threat if left open from three.

If Red doesn't add one more guy to try to check at least a couple of those boxes, then he's starting the season with an obvious hole in his roster - unless Judah comes back.

I agree, there have been upgrades in talent. I thought Jesse was a poor low post center, offensively, and was definitely better diving to the rim, or facing up his opponent. His footwork with his back to the basket was not good.

I am concerned about the lack of a pure PG, though. So, it would seem that our choices are JJ Starling or Quadir Copeland to start at point, assuming Judah is gone. Then we have Westry and Justin Taylor for the 2G. That's only 1 shooter among our top 4 guards, and really nobody who has run an offense before.

If he doesn't get one more guard (when we heard recently that he wanted two ...) that would seem to be a big mistake in terms of roster composition, especially for your first year as head coach.

Why have zero PGs on the roster? People will press the hell out of us, and we won't be able to generate open shots UNLESS we are running the break. That means we HAVE to rebound, or we are going to struggle again offensively. That means our starting forwards are Maliq Brown and Benny, because you have to rebound to run.

2nd team:

Only 3 guys out of 10 who are proven shooters, two of whom are on the second team.

We need a rotation PG, preferably a senior from the portal, stepping up from a G5 team.

We need somebody to play 20-25 minutes, be secure with the ball, create shots for others, be able to hit a foul shot at the end of the game, and be a threat if left open from three.

If Red doesn't add one more guy to try to check at least a couple of those boxes, then he's starting the season with an obvious hole in his roster - unless Judah comes back.
Don't let Quadir's height fool you - he's Heisenberg grade meth pure as a point guard.

2nd team:

Disagree (respectfully) with your lineup. We need more spacing than that.
PG: Chance Westry
SG: JJ
SF: Bell
PF: Benny
C: Naheem
I personally would rather them bring in another pure Forward if Mintz doesn't return. Assuming Chance plays G, we have plenty of Guards-Want a perimeter defender with some size.

I personally would rather them bring in another pure Forward if Mintz doesn't return. Assuming Chance plays G, we have plenty of Guards-Want a perimeter defender with some size.

Well, we just apparently got Kyle Cuffe, Jr. of Kansas. 6-2 CG redshirt freshman (counting Covid year?), coming off non-ACL knee injury and medical redshirt. His dad played for St. John's. From Blair Academy in isolated Western NJ, very good prep program. They say he has range on his shot. I would say this completes the roster.

Well, we just apparently got Kyle Cuffe, Jr. of Kansas. 6-2 CG redshirt freshman (counting Covid year?), coming off non-ACL knee injury and medical redshirt. His dad played for St. John's. From Blair Academy in isolated Western NJ, very good prep program. They say he has range on his shot. I would say this completes the roster.

As said in that thread- Judah returns or bring in a HS stud.

I understand the desire for a stud PF who can shoot a 3 - somebody like a college version of Julius Randle. I'd like one of those, too; or even another Cole Swider, who was a very good player.

But I think Autry looks at Benny, Westry, Maliq, Bell, Copeland, Taylor, and maybe even Peter Carey, and I think he's going to roll with those guys this season, and let a couple of them shake out. Then he brings in a 4 star PF next year. That's 7 guys to cover 2 spots.

We only had 4 guards before signing Cuffe a short while ago. I feel like we've got our bases covered, especially with 2 commits already for next year, and so many young guys on the roster. We already have a 4 star G for next year.

Autry has to give them all a chance in his new system this season. Then we'll see who fits and who doesn't.

I understand the desire for a stud PF who can shoot a 3 - somebody like a college version of Julius Randle. I'd like one of those, too; or even another Cole Swider, who was a very good player.

But I think Autry looks at Benny, Westry, Maliq, Bell, Copeland, Taylor, and maybe even Peter Carey, and I think he's going to roll with those guys this season, and let a couple of them shake out. Then he brings in a 4 star PF next year. That's 7 guys to cover 2 spots.

We only had 4 guards before signing Cuffe a short while ago. I feel like we've got our bases covered, especially with 2 commits already for next year, and so many young guys on the roster. We already have a 4 star G for next year.

Autry has to give them all a chance in his new system this season. Then we'll see who fits and who doesn't.
I think this is right. Guys are sticking around to see if they fit. Some of them won't. So they'll portal out after next season.

Covid years are only for players who were in college in 2020.

Cuffe was a Redshirt in 2021-22 and a 2nd year Frosh in 2022-23

He will be a R-Soph in 2023-24.
Can he get medical red shirt foor last year? Supposedly only played 2 games?

Can he get medical red shirt foor last year? Supposedly only played 2 games?

He used his redshirt year in 2021-22.

Only one redshirt to a customer.

If he can prove that he was forced to miss 2021-22 due to an injury suffered in HS or during training camp, he can apply for a hardship waiver and "maybe" the NCAA might grant him an extra year.

If he sat out 2021-22 due to a coaches decision, he's out of luck.

He used his redshirt year in 2021-22.

Only one redshirt to a customer.

If he can prove that he was forced to miss 2021-22 due to an injury suffered in HS or during training camp, he can apply for a hardship waiver and "maybe" the NCAA might grant him an extra year.

If he sat out 2021-22 due to a coaches decision, he's out of luck.
Hear what you are saying and I am completely blind to red shirt regulations but I have seen others in college BB get more than one red shirt...reason for asking.

Hear what you are saying and I am completely blind to red shirt regulations but I have seen others in college BB get more than one red shirt...reason for asking.

It's a pretty common question on the football board. It doesn't come up very often on this side.

Everyone has one redshirt card to use during their careers if they need it. But if you use it as a true frosh, you don't have it anymore if you get injured later.

If you miss two full seasons with injuries, sometimes the NCAA gives you an extra card to play.

But not always.

Throw in 2020 as a Covid redshirt year for everyone, and it gets pretty messed up.

2021-2022 was a true redshirt for him.

2022-2023 was out due to injury. I believe he can apply for a medical redshirt for this year and therefore still have 4 years of eligibility (if approved).

In Red We Trust

It's a pretty common question on the football board. It doesn't come up very often on this side.

Everyone has one redshirt card to use during their careers if they need it. But if you use it as a true frosh, you don't have it anymore if you get injured later.

If you miss two full seasons with injuries, sometimes the NCAA gives you an extra card to play.

But not always.

Throw in 2020 as a Covid redshirt year for everyone, and it gets pretty messed up.
Still question this...... will let it sort out. He has 3 and maybe 4 years!

It’s refreshing to see a deep roster like this. Some guys may leave next year, but we have a lot of guys to choose from. Whoever performs the best will play.
Given Red’s acumen for recruiting, attrition might be our friend instead of our enemy, which would be a nice change. Let Red constantly improve the roster.

2nd team:

Nope.

Just because JJ is shorter, doesn’t make him the PG.

Chance has more PG skills than JJ.

IF Judah returns, then it’s easy:
Judah PG
JJ SG
Chance SF (aka 3rd G)

Without Judah, I honestly wouldn’t be surprised to see:
Chance PG
JJ SG
Quadir SF (to get another playmaker/passer in the game, to help take the load off of Chance)

I don’t think you can play Benny AND Maliq at the same time, unless it’s with Maliq at the 5 in a small-ball lineup.
Those guys likely split the PF minutes, like 25/15, and then Maliq gets another 5-10 at the 5 spot.

Nope.

Just because JJ is shorter, doesn’t make him the PG.

Chance has more PG skills than JJ.

IF Judah returns, then it’s easy:
Judah PG
JJ SG
Chance SF (aka 3rd G)

Without Judah, I honestly wouldn’t be surprised to see:
Chance PG
JJ SG
Quadir SF (to get another playmaker/passer in the game, to help take the load off of Chance)

I don’t think you can play Benny AND Maliq at the same time, unless it’s with Maliq at the 5 in a small-ball lineup.
Those guys likely split the PF minutes, like 25/15, and then Maliq gets another 5-10 at the 5 spot.
Sounds like Brown at the 5 is likely going to happen, at least for a few minutes per game. Not a fan of it though; he looked under sized even at the 4, towards the end of the season. Wish he could work out with Rak Christmas over the summer, or join Louisville football strength/conditioning program.