2023-24 Portal Options | Page 31 | Syracusefan.com

2023-24 Portal Options

This is a crazy time In college hoops, freshman have never been less of a value except back when freshman couldn’t play varsity. Obviously there is about a dozen or so absolute can’t miss college players, but you are way better off using that NIL for kids who have played D1 and showed they could already do it. Give me a kid from George Mason or a school like that who already showed he could do it instead of a true freshman everyday of the week. Now I will say that Fielder kid just seems different I’d love for him to come here but give me transfers 9 out of 10 times.

I was told that the portal would make it impossible for teams other than KU, UK, Duke, and UNC to be competitive.

I was told that the portal would make it impossible for teams other than KU, UK, Duke, and UNC to be competitive.
UNC and Duke have recently snared a couple of players that many people felt were moving on. It just so happens that they were already on their roster.

Let’s face it, NIL at schools like UNC and Duke are more lucrative than 2nd round picks and G League contracts.
I think we're seeing the evolution of that. I don't think landing 5 of the top 12 recruits and then doing it all over with a new crop of freshmen every season is going to be as successful a strategy as it arguably was for 10-15 years. We've seen really good teams built with a bunch of grad transfers and now undergrad transfers beat the freshmen all-stars. Team are starting to lock up their AAAA guys as best they can, add a couple of top-50 frosh, and then pick up what transfers they can/need.

He’s going to need a mental health waiver to be eligible for next year LOL
Don't they grant waivers for situations where the head coach changes?

Don't they grant waivers for situations where the head coach changes?
No they changed the rules for next year. They specifically said that they will deny a waiver if the coach changes or if you lose your scholarship if you already transferred once as an undergrad already.

Mental Health issues are approved for waivers so essentially everyone should claim Mental Health like how everyone used to use run off waivers.