2023-24 Portal | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

2023-24 Portal

People need to stop thinking that players are greedy, disloyal, or abandoned their team if they test the portal. In the pros, if someone tests free agency and comes back, people don't get bent out of shape.

For a lot of kids, their college years are going to make a big chunk of the earning potential for an extremely valuable and time-limited skill. There's nothing wrong with testing the portal to see what they're worth, and then making the decision that's in their best interest.

As long as they're 100% bought in to helping the team win once they make a decision, nobody should fault them for trying to find out what they're worth and go get it.
and here i thought they were going to college for a free education

Sorry but I'm a fan and for fans, all this garbage stinks. These kids all get a stipend that is much more comfortable than you think. If they want big money, then declare for the draft. NIL and the no wait transfer rule is destroying College football whether you want to believe it or not.
It's not about them being comfortable, it's about them being fairly compensated. The NFL doesn't let them in straight out of high school and there's no viable minor leagues, so they have to play in college. For some reason a lot of people think it's OK for the coaches to make millions, the schools to make millions, the ADs to make millions, the TV execs to make millions, the conferences and their commissioners to make millions, the companies that advertise on the broadcasts to make millions, the ticket brokers to make money, and so forth and so on, but the players have to be comfortable with a stipend?

As a fellow fan, I get it, it is less fun. But that doesn't mean the old way was right, and I'm willing to admit my fun is less important than the players being treated fairly. Ideally in the future the system will be improved in a way that limits transfers somewhat in exchange for better compensation for the players who stay, but you really need some form of collective bargaining for that and we aren't there yet with NIL.

Right but they need to understand that if you “test the portal” you don’t always have a landing spot

Right, but really it's not their fault the system is a total mess right now, and if the people calling the shots and setting up the system were competent and/or looking out for the players more, they would have set it up in a way that would let them get a better idea of their fair value and possible landing spots before relinquishing their scholarship and/or current deals. There needs to be a more transparent system, probably agents, and hopefully less movement.

Bottom line, the players should get a fair shake, and that should come first - before all the other people getting their cuts of the pie and before the fans enjoyment. They kids playing are the ones putting in the hard work and risking injuries.

It's not about them being comfortable, it's about them being fairly compensated. The NFL doesn't let them in straight out of high school and there's no viable minor leagues, so they have to play in college. For some reason a lot of people think it's OK for the coaches to make millions, the schools to make millions, the ADs to make millions, the TV execs to make millions, the conferences and their commissioners to make millions, the companies that advertise on the broadcasts to make millions, the ticket brokers to make money, and so forth and so on, but the players have to be comfortable with a stipend?

As a fellow fan, I get it, it is less fun. But that doesn't mean the old way was right, and I'm willing to admit my fun is less important than the players being treated fairly. Ideally in the future the system will be improved in a way that limits transfers somewhat in exchange for better compensation for the players who stay, but you really need some form of collective bargaining for that and we aren't there yet with NIL.

Right, but really it's not their fault the system is a total mess right now, and if the people calling the shots and setting up the system were competent and/or looking out for the players more, they would have set it up in a way that would let them get a better idea of their fair value and possible landing spots before relinquishing their scholarship and/or current deals. There needs to be a more transparent system, probably agents, and hopefully less movement.

Bottom line, the players should get a fair shake, and that should come first - before all the other people getting their cuts of the pie and before the fans enjoyment. They kids playing are the ones putting in the hard work and risking injuries.
They were compensated prior to nil just not millions. An education at su is not cheep. You add in all the additional benefits players get and it’s even more.
I hear the argument about having to go to college because no alternative league. No high school football player is going pro. It is the colleges that develop them that even give them the opportunity to go pro.
Nil is here and not going away. It will benefit the players but real rules to to be implemented. Hopefully a workable system is implemented but it will never be perfect

Tony Gibson? ha ha ha

"The fact Nebraska was able to retain Tony Gibson as its defensive coordinator is huge because he was up for the Syracuse job that went to Fran Brown and the defensive coordinator gig at USC that went to D'Anton Lynn."

Tony Gibson? ha ha ha

"The fact Nebraska was able to retain Tony Gibson as its defensive coordinator is huge because he was up for the Syracuse job that went to Fran Brown and the defensive coordinator gig at USC that went to D'Anton Lynn."
I hope he’s right, but I saw a list yesterday and SU was not listed as one if his eight schools. I think it said he was visiting Nebraska.

They were compensated prior to nil just not millions. An education at su is not cheep. You add in all the additional benefits players get and it’s even more.
Yeah but it's still a small fraction of the actual value of their skills. Let me put it this way, if you were 18 and had an NFL future, do you want tuition/room/board/stipend like they got, or do you want the value of your skills in a free market? We all know the answer, and there's a huge gap.

But the people hurt the worst in the old system were the Tim Tebows and Gerry McNamaras. Those guys were generating a fortune with their skills at the college level and didn't have an NFL/NBA future.

Anyway let's not derail the transfer portal movement tracking thread any further, I'm sure there's a better place to debate this or we can start a different thread if you want to continue to discuss it.

This is just an excellent post and take all around.

Tony Gibson? ha ha ha

Is that Kirk's brother?

That's an average of 9 players per school from an 85 man roster, not counting those who graduate, or fail to remain eligible academically.

If it was a month ago, I would say you are sniffing glue. But after seeing the interest some of these recruits have in Cuse now...nothing is impossible.
Both things can be true at the same time.:)

Screenshot_20231207_122956_X.jpg

McCord?

Seriously?!? is this John Buhler guy from Fanside a Nebraska homer or what? So this below is the reasoning he gives why Nebraska is the #1 best landing spot for McCord? Just terrible. We certainly should have a shot then.

1. Nebraska Cornhuskers are a good quarterback away from bowl games

This is the one that has emerged as the clear and early front-runner to land McCord. Nebraska nearly went to a bowl game in Matt Rhule's first year in Lincoln. Had it not been for offensive ineptitude, the Huskers would have done something Scott Frost was never able to do, which is win six games in a season. Marcus Satterfield may not be a great offensive coordinator, but what if he can land McCord?

Rhule is adept at coaching up his defense, as well as getting the most out of a player's untapped talent. The fact UNL was able to retain Tony Gibson as its defensive coordinator is huge because he was up for the Syracuse job that went to Fran Brown and the defensive coordinator gig at USC that went to D'Anton Lynn. All the Huskers need right now is a better quarterback to get back to bowls.

In all honesty, there is only one way where Nebraska can be topped by anyone to land McCord in the portal. They have the NIL to outspend most teams in their current situation. Although it hasn't happened yet, what if Ohio State defensive coordinator Jim Knowles takes over a Duke? What if Manny Diaz got the job in Durham? Either of those head-coaching candidates change the calculus.

Barring something unforeseen, Nebraska should be viewed as McCord's likeliest transfer destination.

Are we all happy with McCord?

I don’t think he’s a bad year 1 option for Fran. Kind of need an experienced guy to pair with a first year HC. Not sure we can turnover the WR group to be really good next year but if we keep Villari and OG that should be enticing for him.

Interesting on the Aggies exodus. While I'm sure the coaching change is a big part, I wonder how many players are pi$$ed that they paid $30M for their last recruiting class? (And they didn't get it)

Are we all happy with McCord?

I don’t think he’s a bad year 1 option for Fran. Kind of need an experienced guy to pair with a first year HC. Not sure we can turnover the WR group to be really good next year but if we keep Villari and OG that should be enticing for him.
He'd certainly be better than what we got. Would need to add at least one more pass protector though.

We should have weapons to throw to. If OG's back and we are very likely to have some solid WR additions coming. Plus i think we have WR's that are better than what they appeared this year in part because we didn't have a solid healthy QB throwing to them this year. and that current group will be a year stronger and a year more experienced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom