2023-24 Yankees Off Season / Spring Training... | Syracusefan.com

2023-24 Yankees Off Season / Spring Training...

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
Free Agents:
Isiah Kiner-Falefa [TOR: 2 years / $15 mil]
Zach McAllister
Keynan Middleton
Frankie Montas [CIN: 1 year / $16 mil]
Wandy Peralta [SD: 4 years / $16.5 mil]
Luis Severino [NYM: 1 year/$13 mil]
Luke Weaver
Franchy Cordero (4.160): $1.6MM [Elected FA]
Domingo German (4.142): $4.4MM [Elected FA]
Matt Bowman (4.043): $1MM [Elected FA]
Ryan Weber (3.167): $900K [Elected FA]
Billy McKinney (3.087): $1.2MM [Elected FA]
Jimmy Cordero (3.061): $900K [Elected FA]
Lou Trivino (5.163): $4.1MM [Non-Tendered]
Albert Abreu (2.118): $900K [Non-Tendered]

Jake Bauers (3.084): $1.7MM [Traded to MIL]

Arbitration Eligible (Service time / Projected salary):
Gleyber Torres (5.162): $15.3MM
Clay Holmes (5.031): $6MM
Jonathan Loaisiga (5.022): $2.5MM
Kyle Higashioka (5.005): $2.3MM [Traded to SD]
Nestor Cortes (4.094): $3.9MM
Jose Trevino (4.063): $2.7MM
Michael King (4.004): $2.6MM [Traded to SD]
Clarke Schmidt (2.148): $2.6MM

Last edited:
  • All of the FAs will be let go, maybe Montas gets a small 1-2 year deal
  • King is going to be in the rotation next season (Cole, Cortes, King, Schmidt, Rodon plus a FA/NPL pitcher)
  • Wells/Trevino behind the plate and Higashioka* released
  • Lots of decisions for the Cashman team this offseason and pretty weak FA class.

* which kind of sucks because Higgy is a career Yankee, mid-round pick out of HS and worked his butt off through like 8 years in the minors to get to MLB as a back-up. Seems like a great dude and steady player for what he had to work with. I bet he gets a shot with another team or two, but ultimately ends up as a manager.

• All of the FAs will be let go, maybe Montas gets a small 1-2 year deal
  • King is going to be in the rotation next season (Cole, Cortes, King, Schmidt, Rodon plus a FA/NPL pitcher)
  • Wells/Trevino behind the plate and Higashioka* released
  • Lots of decisions for the Cashman team this offseason and pretty weak FA class.

* which kind of sucks because Higgy is a career Yankee, mid-round pick out of HS and worked his butt off through like 8 years in the minors to get to MLB as a back-up. Seems like a great dude and steady player for what he had to work with. I bet he gets a shot with another team or two, but ultimately ends up as a manager.
Who between Wells and Trevino becomes the backup? Wells bat really came on the last several weeks.

Who between Wells and Trevino becomes the backup? Wells bat really came on the last several weeks.
I think Wells with Trevino catching Cole and spelling Wells for defense in late innings. I don't buy Trevino's bat from the 1st half of 2022, which wasn't even that good. IMO, Wells is a lesser hitting Posada, but probably about the same defense as Jorge in his prime. In his last ~2 weeks, Wells had a .910 OPS and a 15.6 K% whereas in the first week he had a .310 OPS and a 25% K-rate. He adapted to ML pitching pretty well.

Get rid of Stanton, carry 3 catchers, and have Wells DH.

By May, either Higgy or Trevino will be hurt again.

Here is what is actually happening, according to those four sources: The Yankees will be paying to view how an outside firm runs analytics, and then comparing it to the way they operate in that area. It is a self-evaluation, because they are looking at another company, rather than having a company look at them.

Somebody on SI is speculating the Padres might be amenable to trading Soto this off season since he could decide to opt out at the end of 2024. A trade with the Yankees centered around Spencer Jones and Chase Hampton might get it done. I’d be down with that.

Somebody on SI is speculating the Padres might be amenable to trading Soto this off season since he could decide to opt out at the end of 2024. A trade with the Yankees centered around Spencer Jones and Chase Hampton might get it done. I’d be down with that.
That would be amazing. I imagine the Yankees would have to give up a lot more than that. Jones and Hampton are not Top 100 prospects on any lists I have seen.

Get rid of Stanton, carry 3 catchers, and have Wells DH.

By May, either Higgy or Trevino will be hurt again.
Get rid of Stanton. There are maybe two teams in all of baseball that would take him if the Yankees picked up the entire contract. That is how bad the contract and how limited the player is. The yanks are stuck with him.

That would be amazing. I imagine the Yankees would have to give up a lot more than that. Jones and Hampton are not Top 100 prospects on any lists I have seen.
I was debating the Red Sox sending their top 2 prospects to get him but can't justify it with only one year left. Plus, his agent is Boras so you know what that means. I do think the Padres will move him but the cost will be very high.

I think they are 1 and 3 on the Yankee list

What injuries waiting to happen will the Yankees sign this off season?

What injuries waiting to happen will the Yankees sign this off season?

You're looking at this all wrong.

The Yanks could sign a perfectly healthy player, and he'll probably cut his toes off in a lawn mowing accident during the season.

Here's a list of all 30 teams' Top 30 prospects who need to be protected to avoid being exposed to the Rule 5 Draft:

New York Yankees
Clayton Beeter, RHP (No. 16)
Jared Serna, 2B/SS (No. 20)
Agustin Ramirez, C (No. 24)
Matt Sauer, RHP (No. 25)
Edgar Barclay, LHP (No. 28)
Elijah Dunham, OF (No. 30)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824