2023-24 Yankees Off Season / Spring Training... | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

2023-24 Yankees Off Season / Spring Training...

For Blake Snell? Really?
A healthy Snell with someone who can catch him would be a great addition to a relatively thin group of starters. On a deal that doesn't tie up the club for more than four or five years, of course.

A healthy Snell with someone who can catch him would be a great addition to a relatively thin group of starters. On a deal that doesn't tie up the club for more than four or five years, of course.
It's a crap shoot with him. he has a good year followed by a bad year. Rather inconsistent. I definitely wouldn't go longer than a 2 or 3 year deal for him. You can never have too many arms. Montgomery is still out there as well.

It's a crap shoot with him. he has a good year followed by a bad year. Rather inconsistent. I definitely wouldn't go longer than a 2 or 3 year deal for him. You can never have too many arms. Montgomery is still out there as well.
He would want a lot annually on a really short term deal, which would be okay with me. Better to roll the dice with a relatively young guy like Snell than one of the dinosaurs. As for Monty, I think returning to the Yanks is way down on his list.

He would want a lot annually on a really short term deal, which would be okay with me. Better to roll the dice with a relatively young guy like Snell than one of the dinosaurs. As for Monty, I think returning to the Yanks is way down on his list.
If you add Snell, it’s not quite as important for Rodón and Nestor to bounce-back.

Typical Spring Training lineup (that the Yanks will be forced to trot out in July)...

GHHC3D9XMAAfAVj

The only way the Yankees could possibly sign Snell is if he agrees to defer most of salary to future years, like Ohtani did for the Dodgers. That would greatly reduce the amount of luxury tax owed this season. It makes no sense to pay him a salary of $25-30M and then have to pay more than $25-30M in tax on top of that this season due to the 110% tax rate (when team payroll reaches $300M). No owner is going to do that.

The only way the Yankees could possibly sign Snell is if he agrees to defer most of salary to future years, like Ohtani did for the Dodgers. That would greatly reduce the amount of luxury tax owed this season. It makes no sense to pay him a salary of $25-30M and then have to pay more than $25-30M in tax on top of that this season due to the 110% tax rate (when team payroll reaches $300M). No owner is going to do that.
Michael Kay was saying that on his show yesterday. Paying Snell 30M a year would essentially be like paying him 60M.

Times are tight for the franchise worth $7 billion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom