2023 Coaching Carousel | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

2023 Coaching Carousel

So if Eddie leaves Providence, does that open the door for Pitino reunion or is the St Johns situation a done deal? I would think PC would be desirable to someone out there. Maybe Pat Kelsey ?
Was told they interviewed an A10 coach already

https://usf./news/sources-south-florida-expected-to-hire-mike-brey-as-men-s-basketball-coach

Yup. I never understand why people post in absolutes. Unless you’re Ed Cooley or his family how can you say it will “never” happen?

I tried telling them it was a possibility, I even gave an example of Cronin leaving Cincinnati.
There are definitely zero absolutes in the coaching world.
They do what’s best for them and their families which they should. Loyalty will only get you so far.

Yup. I never understand why people post in absolutes. Unless you’re Ed Cooley or his family how can you say it will “never” happen?
I mean sure, but I never expect people to behave absolutely. Ed wasn't planning on leaving, but when a school you have connections with comes calling with a dumptruck full of money because they've been a dumpster fire for almost a decade using in-house candidates, that changes the equation a bit.

Most of the time it's just used metaphorically.

The Cooley move is interesting. He gave Providence fans their best extended stretch in program history, yet for so many it wasn't enough. The national media likes him and they want Georgetown to be good, so they'll give him the benefit of the doubt at every turn, but I don't know that he's worth what GTown is going to pay him. But that's their issue, not his.

Shocking news about Cooley to G'town. I read on this board that this was a no chance due to how much him and Providence love each other and also his wife works there too.

I don't think this works out I have never seen a coach take a step down and go to a worse job that is a rival and regular opponent.

PC hoops is supported by the city the same way SU hoops is by Syracuse. Yes Cooley is a big part of that.

He was clearly frustrated that he hadn't been able to leave and get a better job over the last decade and had to take the first thing offered. Very few coaches want to stay somewhere forever. Weird move.

Another great thing to happen for Uconn just like St Marys losing their best player who got hurt literally standing around waiting for a pass doing nothing. This is amazing for them.

This is like if Randy Edsall was SU coach when we were still in the Big East and left us to go to Uconn. Just a bad move.

I don't think Friar fans care if he leaves them for a Big Ten team or anyone out of the conference.

For all of Ed's success at PC he hasn't come close to matching that first recruiting class he had of Joe Young, Kris Dunn, and Ricky Ledo. Probably wants to go somewhere he can bring in those types of recruits.

Ed Cooley is one of the nicest guys I've met in college basketball (outside of the SU coaches, of course). We became friendly when he was the coach at Fairfield U. I've rooted for Providence ever since he went there, but I don't think his presence will cause me to root for Georgetown.

May be an image of 2 people and people standing

We were spoiled by having such a loyal HC for 5 decades. I would hate for our HC to be successful and then run to UNC or Duke and play us twice per year. Really hope the internal hire works out - it helps reduce the likelihood of our coach leaving for one of the handful of better jobs out there.

Some really good jobs are going to come open soon (or specifically next year) he should have at least waited another year. I'm glad Red is off to a hot start landing JJ because I don't want to go head to head targeting a candidate with any of the following...

Kentucky
UNC
Louisville
Villanova
Ohio State
Florida

Texas might open if their coach struggles next year isn't he still an interim?

Shocking news about Cooley to G'town. I read on this board that this was a no chance due to how much him and Providence love each other and also his wife works there too.

It is a pretty big shock talking to several folks around the PC program. Gtown must have really ponied up.

It is a pretty big shock talking to several folks around the PC program. Gtown must have really ponied up.
Wondering if NIL funding potential played into the decision. G-Town has much richer pockets. Cooley has done really well in the Portal, but perhaps pay to play is getting difficult. Can't believe he would be leaving if all was well with PC.

Wondering if NIL funding potential played into the decision. G-Town has much richer pockets. Cooley has done really well in the Portal, but perhaps pay to play is getting difficult. Can't believe he would be leaving if all was well with PC.

Yeah and honestly being pegged with an 11 seed and being a couple players short of a contender.. all that can weigh in. It ultimately is just a personal decision no matter what direction the winds are blowing or most people think.

I can't knock him for it but still is quite a shock.

it's gonna be a big problem. Guy is a legend, is going to win and will do it in our backyard.

Having Ed at Gtown will also be a big problem. He can recruit better there and we like to grab kids from the DMV.

Red better be ready to joust with the big boys pronto
it's gonna be a big problem. Guy is a legend, is going to win and will do it in our backyard.

Having Ed at Gtown will also be a big problem. He can recruit better there and we like to grab kids from the DMV.

Red better be ready to joust with the big boys pronto
I love the Autry hire and how things are starting out. He’s definitely setting the tone that there’s a new sheriff in town. But both Pitino and Cooley were at the top of many of our fans’ wish lists as JB’s successor. He’s gonna have to beat out these two on the regular in recruiting. I hope he’s ready to crush it.

Any chance providence college grad Richard Pitino gets a look at PC? I'm curious how they go on this? Would Billy D come back for a price

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom