2023 college football playoffs | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

2023 college football playoffs

GAcqYYPXIAAhy3h

This is silly. You are not giving them enough credit for their defense. They just held the high-powered Louisville offense that came in averaging 31 ppg to a mere 6 points. Sure, they are not as sexy a team with Travis out. But remember the one Super Bowl that the Giants lost (2000 season)? The Ravens offense sucked -- Trent Dilfer was basically just a game manager. They even had 4 games where they scored single digits. But their defense was elite. Never used to like Booger, but he sure nailed it when he said it was a travesty.
Ravens were a 3 point favorite in that Super Bowl despite their offense. FSU would be a big dog against any of the four in the playoff. It sucks for FSU but the committee got the four best teams in the playoff and that was their mandate. I think Georgia has a bigger beef than FSU.

you have to go down to 10 before you might find a team FSU would be favored over and even right now you might have to go to 14.

Just once I would have liked to have seen the SEC not get the benefit of the doubt. Instead, the committee used their typical amorphous and convenient standards to hand a playoff berth to the most entitled fanbase in the country. Winning on the field means nothing, because you're not part of the golden conference. A shameful decision was made, not that anyone involved with decision making in college football gives a damn. Much like boxing, the sport is hopelessly corrupt.
they got what they wanted in terms of TV ratings and likely th most competitive matchups (at least from a betting standpoint). We have to remember this isn’t March Madness, it’s a made for TV spectacle and they said they’d factor in injuries which they clearly did. I feel awful for FSU players, especially that elite defense. That being said, I hope Bama takes out Michigan.

In terms of the perception of conferences, it stinks to see the SEC once again get heralded as head and shoulders above ACC because SEC had worst record of anyone against non conference opponents. At the end of the day, the journalists who make the preseason rankings set the perception and relativity for the year. GT losing to Georgia by just 8 is another example.

What an absolute joke this is not a playoff it’s an invitational for the schools with the most power and $ . God forbid the sec is left out. Florida state did what they needed to do, it’s all about $$$. What a great message to send to kids.

Last edited:
you have to go down to 10 before you might find a team FSU would be favored over and even right now you might have to go to 14.
15. The way Arizona is playing, they may win that one going away.

BC like Auburn is 6-6. Bama beat Auburn only because a guy slipped and fell down fielding a punt.

And it was more recent. Recency is all that counts!

They will probably say yeah, but Auburn-Alabama is a rivalry game so throw everything out the window... (as they punished FSU for winning at the Swamp because Florida sucks).

I don't understand this mindset. Why can't they win with defense? Why do people only look at offense? Why can't they win with a running game and strong defense? Their defense took a top-20 offense and held them to 6 points. Why couldn't they do the same in the playoffs? That is a terrible argument.

They don't want to give FSU a chance because a 9-6 defensive game doesn't impress the TV people.
Hey! We went 2-1 with that philosophy!

You're using betting lines as a more important criteria than game results.

Incredible.
betting lines tell you who people think are better.

anyone who thinks FSU is better is not thinking right.

And with the criteria of injuries also being a major one that even makes the decision easier on the bowl committee.

It clearly said better not deserving.

betting lines tell you who people think are better.
anyone who thinks FSU is better is not thinking right.
And with the criteria of injuries also being a major one that even makes the decision easier on the bowl committee.
It clearly said better not deserving.
Exactly.
FSU "deserved" to get in, but as Clint Eastwood said in "Unforgiven"; "Deserves got nothing to do with it".
FSU had some lousy luck with the QB injury, but right now they're not beating anyone in the Top 10, let alone Top 5.
The only gripe I have would be Bama, but I can see them getting in as SEC Champs.

Even Florida State had got in, they would not win a game with the second string quarterback. But let Alabama taking care of Michigan. Without a SEC team, Michigan is likely to win the championship. Both Washington and Texas are overrated. They have higher chance to get in because they have biggest fan base, especially Texas. Washington now gets extra boost power because they are now B1G.

Florida State OOC
beat LSU 45-24 (away)
beat Southern Miss 66-13
beat Florida 24-15 (away)
beat North Alabama 58-13
vs P5 (2-0) both SEC teams
beat #15 Louisville in conference champ game

Alabama OOC
beat Middle Tennessee 56-7
lost Texas 24-34 (home)
beat South Florida 17-3
beat Chattanooga 66-10
vs P5 (0-1)
beat #1 Georgia in conference champ game

Michigan OOC
beat East Carolina 30-3
beat UNLV 35-7
beat Bowling Green 31-6
vs P5 (0-0)
beat #18 Iowa in conference champ game

Washington OOC
beat Boise 56-19
beat Tulsa 43-10
beat Michigan State 41-7 (away)
vs P5 (1-0)
beat #5 Oregon in conference champ game

Texas OOC
beat Rice 37-10
beat Alabama 34-24 (away)
beat Wyoming 31-10
vs P5 (1-0)
1 loss was to #12 Oklahoma
beat #19 Oklahoma State in conference champ game

Vs CFP
FSU 3-0
Alabama 4-1
Michigan 3-0
Washington 3-0
Texas 3-1

Last edited:
I'm not saying they necessarily need to win, but FSU needs to play competitively against Georgia if they want people to still take their CFP snub seriously. They can't get murdered in that game.

I dont get why people are so upset. The system had rules and they used them and they did it correctly.

The commissioners knew the rules when the signed off on this.. It would have simple to say undefeated P5 gets you in first no questions asked. But they didnt. Its not even a criteria at all.

But they did add one for people getting hurt changing the fundamental of a team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom