2023 Fall Ball | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

2023 Fall Ball

Cook looks good this year! /s (speaking solely about longevity)

Edit: clarified not about skill!

Yeah, #2!

I know he graduated (finally) but it was a joke about how long he was around for!
Drums Eye Roll GIF

Was able to listen to the Gait interview. Two main things stood out.

The hosts asked about the difference from Petro to Odierna. Gait said the main thing was Petro had his own system he wanted his players to fit whereas Odierna wants his system to fit the players that he has. He was very complimentary of Odierna and says the defensive players love playing for him and look forward to practice each day. Wouldn't expect him to come out and "I've made a huge mistake" but overall it sounds like coach Odierna has been a positive addition. Reading between the lines it sounds like Gait is pleased with the change.

Recruiting. Gait says they've been very active in the hotbed areas and that, while not ignoring the non-hotbed areas, places like California, Oregon and Washington are less of a priority. He doesn't mention Bogue Hahn but he says they are getting now the best players from Maryland, which I feel like is a reference to the McDonough product. Says they are mostly focused on the Northeast, Long Island, Maryland and Canada at this point. He makes a comment about the roster having a lot of non-hot bed area guys when he arrived and wanting to move away from that. Found that to be interesting.

Here is the link to the interview for those interested -

The hosts asked about the difference from Petro to Odierna. Gait said the main thing was Petro had his own system he wanted his players to fit whereas Odierna wants his system to fit the players that he has. He was very complimentary of Odierna and says the defensive players love playing for him and look forward to practice each day. Wouldn't expect him to come out and "I've made a huge mistake" but overall it sounds like coach Odierna has been a positive addition. Reading between the lines it sounds like Gait is pleased with the change.

Recruiting. Gait says they've been very active in the hotbed areas and that, while not ignoring the non-hotbed areas, places like California, Oregon and Washington are less of a priority. He doesn't mention Bogue Hahn but he says they are getting now the best players from Maryland, which I feel like is a reference to the McDonough product. Says they are mostly focused on the Northeast, Long Island, Maryland and Canada at this point. He makes a comment about the roster having a lot of non-hot bed area guys when he arrived and wanting to move away from that. Found that to be interesting.

On Odierna, that’s awesome. Tailoring your system around your players’ strengths is always better than trying to force them to play “your way” when they’re not comfortable.

On the recruiting, oy. Get the best kids. Who cares where they come from. He’s ignoring the next potential Dordevic and Salcido while getting absolutely cooked in the hot bed areas, at least this cycle.

He's not allowed to mention any recruits by name until they sign in a year.

On Odierna, that’s awesome. Tailoring your system around your players’ strengths is always better than trying to force them to play “your way” when they’re not comfortable.

On the recruiting, oy. Get the best kids. Who cares where they come from. He’s ignoring the next potential Dordevic and Salcido while getting absolutely cooked in the hot bed areas, at least this cycle.

Ya I gotta admit I didn't love that comment at all.

What he said that people need to understand is that the kids from the hotbeds, by and large, play the high level competition constantly. If they stand out against better competition there is a much better chance they will show at the next level than the kids that stand out where lacrosse is less of a priority.
Makes sense to me.

What he said that people need to understand is that the kids from the hotbeds, by and large, play the high level competition constantly. If they stand out against better competition there is a much better chance they will show at the next level than the kids that stand out where lacrosse is less of a priority.
Makes sense to me.
And that makes complete sense. But what happens when you don’t get many of those kids, like this year? Make those kids a priority, sure, but don’t ignore potential gems from other areas. Dordevic came to Cuse by way of recommendation from Ryan Powell. Gait’s comments lead one to believe he’d ignore or disregard such a recommendation in the future simply because the kid wasn’t from LI or Maryland.

And that makes complete sense. But what happens when you don’t get many of those kids, like this year? Make those kids a priority, sure, but don’t ignore potential gems from other areas. Dordevic came to Cuse by way of recommendation from Ryan Powell. Gait’s comments lead one to believe he’d ignore or disregard such a recommendation in the future simply because the kid wasn’t from LI or Maryland.
I think if a former Syracuse AA recommends a player to coach Gait, I think coach Gait would take a look at him. Also, Salcido was a walk on, worked his butt off and made himself an AA--it's why he is one of my favorites.

I think if a former Syracuse AA recommends a player to coach Gait, I think coach Gait would take a look at him. Also, Salcido was a walk on, worked his butt off and made himself an AA--it's why he is one of my favorites.
I hope he would, but now there are doubts. And would Sergio be given that chance now with that FL next to his name?

I hope he would, but now there are doubts. And would Sergio be given that chance now with that FL next to his name?
He didn't say he would ignore other places and in fact said he wouldn't. But there will be much more emphasis on the hot beds. Are we really arguing with that approach?

I am a bit torn on the recruiting topic.

In a perfect world, I would say it's great to get most of your kids from the hotbed areas. That said, I do think Syracuse needs to be a little creative. Like we've already discussed, most of the top ranked kids are more often than not going to pick the Duke's and UNC's of the world. I guess the question is, is the staff spending too much time on kids they aren't going to land in Long Island or Baltimore and ignoring players from out west who may be more open to play for Syracuse? I don't know the answer to that.

Like most things it needs to be a balance between the two. It's tough, there has been players like Salcido and Dordevic but there have been others from Florida and California and Texas that haven't' worked out. There are really good players out west, Sam Handley, Ajax Zapatello, Alex Slusher are all from Oregon for instance. That said, not every player from that area is automatically a star. I can think of two more players that came to SU from Oregon who never saw the field.

In his comments Gait did cover a lot ground by saying Long Island, the North East, Maryland and Canada. I think it was more about those are the areas they were focusing on, and not about them ignoring the other areas. Of course in three recruiting cycles SU doesn't have a single player from west of Pennsylvania. So sometimes the proof is in the pudding.

I do find it sort of interesting that in the 23', '24 and '25 classes there is only one Canadian (Trey Deere; two if you count Thomson as a flip for '22), but Gait makes a big deal about having a lot of Canadians on the team. Makes a point of saying they have a team high six on the roster right now (three are transfers this year). I have been surprised there haven't been more commits from Canada, and there were a couple this recruiting cycle.

this is kinda the opposite approach they should be taking. the competition for hotbed talent has never been greater. they should OWN the areas that duke and others ignore. that is where the opportunity is. it's fine to focus more on the hotbeds but they shouldnt be trying to move away from having non-hot bed guys if thats really what he said

I do find it sort of interesting that in the 23', '24 and '25 classes there is only one Canadian (Trey Deere; two if you count Thomson as a flip for '22), but Gait makes a big deal about having a lot of Canadians on the team. Makes a point of saying they have a team high six on the roster right now (three are transfers this year). I have been surprised there haven't been more commits from Canada, and there were a couple this recruiting cycle.
i could say something about this but there prob will be people here who dont want to hear it. long story short they are not going to just start dominating canadian recruiting because gait is the head coach

I am a bit torn on the recruiting topic.

In a perfect world, I would say it's great to get most of your kids from the hotbed areas. That said, I do think Syracuse needs to be a little creative. Like we've already discussed, most of the top ranked kids are more often than not going to pick the Duke's and UNC's of the world. I guess the question is, is the staff spending too much time on kids they aren't going to land in Long Island or Baltimore and ignoring players from out west who may be more open to play for Syracuse? I don't know the answer to that.

Like most things it needs to be a balance between the two. It's tough, there has been players like Salcido and Dordevic but there have been others from Florida and California and Texas that haven't' worked out. There are really good players out west, Sam Handley, Ajax Zapatello, Alex Slusher are all from Oregon for instance. That said, not every player from that area is automatically a star. I can think of two more players that came to SU from Oregon who never saw the field.

In his comments Gait did cover a lot ground by saying Long Island, the North East, Maryland and Canada. I think it was more about those are the areas they were focusing on, and not about them ignoring the other areas. Of course in three recruiting cycles SU doesn't have a single player from west of Pennsylvania. So sometimes the proof is in the pudding.

Getting creative is a great way to put it. That’s exactly what they need to do.

this is kinda the opposite approach they should be taking. the competition for hotbed talent has never been greater. they should OWN the areas that duke and others ignore. that is where the opportunity is. it's fine to focus more on the hotbeds but they shouldnt be trying to move away from having non-hot bed guys if thats really what he said

i could say something about this but there prob will be people here who dont want to hear it. long story short they are not going to just start dominating canadian recruiting because gait is the head coach
Say it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom