2023 FIFA Women's World Cup | Syracusefan.com

2023 FIFA Women's World Cup

Is there a tv schedule for the US games yet?

Outside the 3am match game times are great. Looking forward to it. Last WC had some really epic matchups. Getting a group matchup of the last final is a treat.

I love that the Women's game has grown so much over the last thirty years. The rest of the world is catching up. It will mean less USA dominance, but a more entertaining sport.

Very excited for USA’s first match! One hour away. Predictions for anything? I’ll say Sophia Smith gets first goal in 18th minute. 3-0 final.

Should do better than this but looking more likely to be a narrow win so far. Don't see the ladies getting it done this year. Lots of injuries and just haven't been in sync over the past year.

Should do better than this but looking more likely to be a narrow win so far. Don't see the ladies getting it done this year. Lots of injuries and just haven't been in sync over the past year.
A team such as Vietnam is going to pack it in and make goals difficult for USA. That is why I predicted only 3-0 against a team they are clearly superior to.
USA definitely has injuries but so does England and a few others. And Spain has labor, personnel issues. So maybe it is still wide open and USA might still have a chance.

A team such as Vietnam is going to pack it in and make goals difficult for USA. That is why I predicted only 3-0 against a team they are clearly superior to.
USA definitely has injuries but so does England and a few others. And Spain has labor, personnel issues. So maybe it is still wide open and USA might still have a chance.

They might but they are lacking form upfront. They've faced this before but you can see the wing play just isn't quite the same with this current group yet.

Whom do you see as the favorite?

It's pretty wide open honestly. Not saying they can't but as inconsistent as they have been I think this year they get knocked off the top perch. England, France, Germany, Spain.. all have a shot. Don't count out the Aussies as a dark horse being neighbors to the hosts.

It's pretty wide open honestly. Not saying they can't but as inconsistent as they have been I think this year they get knocked off the top perch. England, France, Germany, Spain.. all have a shot. Don't count out the Aussies as a dark horse being neighbors to the hosts.
You believe those four teams have a better shot than the US?

You believe those four teams have a better shot than the US?

I said it's wide open and they have a shot. The U.S. is lacking strong wing play and service in the final third. They have to be quicker on crosses and spotting runs. Midfield play is sloppy and Horan has not shown to be a leader.

Their margin for error is far reduced with the form of this group right now. Not to mention Morgan is past her prime upfront too. So they are much more vulnerable than they were in 2019 and that was tough sledding albeit a fun tournament with some awesome matches.

Last edited:
I said it's wide open and they have a shot. The U.S. is lacking strong wing play and service in the final third. They have to be quicker on crosses and spotting runs. Midfield play is sloppy and Horan has not shown to be a leader.

Their margin for error is far reduced with the form of this group right now. Not to mention Morgan is past her prime upfront too. So they are much more vulnerable than they were in 2019 and that was tough sledding albeit a fun tournament with some awesome matches.
I understand. You’re picking “the field.”

I understand. You’re picking “the field.”

No. I'm saying that the gap between the top 10 in this WC is the smallest its ever been. That is both the result of the continuous improvement of European sides and the inconsistencies and lack of attacking form of the U.S. women. Seemingly being objective is striking a nerve I guess.

If the Dutch beat Portugal as I expect they will, it sets up a big group matchup that will be the rematch of the 2019 title. Revenge opportunity for that Dutch squad. A squad that can absolutely win that match and put the U.S. as second in the group and can't trip up vs Portugal. Just means a tougher matchup in the knockout rounds.

2019 was a bigtime grind and they gutted it out but it was tight. How much does Rapinoe have in the tank? Can Lavelle stay healthy? Can Horan take command in the midfield? Can Morgan get into form? Can all this youth step up in big games? Can Fox and Girma effectively replace not having Sauerbrun?

The U.S. is the favorite by default if that makes you feel better.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom