2023 FIFA Women's World Cup | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2023 FIFA Women's World Cup

No. I'm saying that the gap between the top 10 in this WC is the smallest its ever been. That is both the result of the continuous improvement of European sides and the inconsistencies and lack of attacking form of the U.S. women. Seemingly being objective is striking a nerve I guess.

If the Dutch beat Portugal as I expect they will, it sets up a big group matchup that will be the rematch of the 2019 title. Revenge opportunity for that Dutch squad. A squad that can absolutely win that match and put the U.S. as second in the group and can't trip up vs Portugal. Just means a tougher matchup in the knockout rounds.

2019 was a bigtime grind and they gutted it out but it was tight. How much does Rapinoe have in the tank? Can Lavelle stay healthy? Can Horan take command in the midfield? Can Morgan get into form? Can all this youth step up in big games? Can Fox and Girma effectively replace not having Sauerbrun?
Many questions indeed! I am worried about scoring, and am looking to the wingers for scoring . We have issues as a team but if Rodman, Smith, Thompson can prove athletically superior to the competition, and score some goals, then I think we can stilll do well. Ultimately, I don’t think we will win it all because we lack a bit in central defense. I think Vlatko recognizes this and that is why he put Ertz on the back line.
We definitely need things to break our way, but, if not us, then who? It’s wide open! It will be a fun month!

No. I'm saying that the gap between the top 10 in this WC is the smallest its ever been. That is both the result of the continuous improvement of European sides and the inconsistencies and lack of attacking form of the U.S. women. Seemingly being objective is striking a nerve I guess.
You predicted that they are not going to win it. That means some other (nonspecific) team (i.e., the field) will win it. Why are you saying “no?”

You predicted that they are not going to win it. That means some other (nonspecific) team (i.e., the field) will win it. Why are you saying “no?”

If we are going to play semantics, "the field" would include Vietnam. So no I did not say the field. I mentioned several countries specifically, not sure how that is "the field".

Given it is currently the group stage I think it's fair to be hesitant to anoint a favorite. If the US women come together and into much better form and the answer to those questions i noted then I might change my mind.

Now since you seem so intent on nitpicking , arguing and questioning my thoughts why don't you share something of your own views?

If we are going to play semantics, "the field" would include Vietnam. So no I did not say the field. I mentioned several countries specifically, not sure how that is "the field".
In gambling, If you’re betting on “the field,” then you win your bet if any entity other than the favorite (or some other specified entity) wins.

You think a team other than the US will win. I said I understand. It was not a criticism.

Many questions indeed! I am worried about scoring, and am looking to the wingers for scoring . We have issues as a team but if Rodman, Smith, Thompson can prove athletically superior to the competition, and score some goals, then I think we can stilll do well. Ultimately, I don’t think we will win it all because we lack a bit in central defense. I think Vlatko recognizes this and that is why he put Ertz on the back line.
We definitely need things to break our way, but, if not us, then who? It’s wide open! It will be a fun month!

Good post. I liked what I saw at the end. You see the composure with Rapinoe and Lavelle and overall just much more inventive. Central defense is definitely a worry without Becky.

Rodman and Smith have that athleticism for sure but you can see the difference of not having Heath on the wings anymore along with how much more organized they look with Rapinoe.

Morgan's finishing is a worry too and that penalty yikes. Next game will tell us a lot.

In gambling, If you’re betting on “the field,” then you win your bet if any entity other than the favorite (or some other specified entity) wins.

You think a team other than the US will win. I said I understand. It was not a criticism.

Fair enough. I didn't see a reference to gambling in the discussion. That said since we are here now... I'd put money on those I named not that it's simply someone else besides the U.S.

Fair enough. I didn't see a reference to gambling in the discussion. That said since we are here now... I'd put money on those I named not that it's simply someone else besides the U.S.
It’s difficult to win a tournament even when you’re significantly better than everyone else, but if I had to pick one team, it would be the US. That’s certainly not a hot take.

if the US had done a decent job of finishing last night they score 10+.. It didnt help that Vietnam basically sat back in a shell and only some long leadouts even got the ball across midfield.. The field was so compressed and still they had 30 shots.

Jamaica has a rising HS Senior (Solai Washington) on their roster. She was their first sub today against France. Solai plays HS here in Georgia and has won back to back state titles in 5A. Unfortunately, she is a Duke commit.

Jamaica has a rising HS Senior (Solai Washington) on their roster. She was their first sub today against France. Solai plays HS here in Georgia and has won back to back state titles in 5A. Unfortunately, she is a Duke commit.

So what seems to be a growing trend this WC is team's successfully putting 11 behind the ball and keeping things interesting or getting a result. Not new to the women's game but don't recall seeing it work so effectively in the past.

Rose LaVelle is not starting tonight. Her injury must be a bit more serious than first thought. Damn! They could really use her tonight as goals will be harder to find.. this might be a 1-0 match, hope we come out on top.

Crystal Dunn falling down on that goal was unlucky.

Had a feeling that missed handball call on the near sideline might haunt them.

Injuries , youth and problems in final third all showing up tonight. All the concerns from past year and game 1 showing up. Hopefully things start clicking.

They better equalize before 60 or they’ll have nothing left in the tank with how much the Dutch are possessing the ball.

Injuries , youth and problems in final third all showing up tonight. All the concerns from past year and game 1 showing up. Hopefully things start clicking.
So you’re taking the field? Hehe

Too much 1v1 from Smith & Rodman for my taste.
Rodman needs to be subbed off. Rapinoe will help.
Horan is not doing enough.
Agree that Smith is trying to do too much by herself.
Thought the team, after the goal, played too much as though it was the 92nd minute and they needed to score NOW! Patience and possession would have helped.

If we lose this and beat Nam are we still most likely through?

Rodman needs to be subbed off. Rapinoe will help.
Horan is not doing enough.
Agree that Smith is trying to do too much by herself.
Thought the team, after the goal, played too much as though it was the 92nd minute and they needed to score NOW! Patience and possession would have helped.
I think Rapinoe is washed and won’t threaten the Dutch back line.

But I agree they need to replace Rodman with a facilitator at one of the wing spots.

The wings need to hold possession better and make the simple pass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom