2023 Horse Racing | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

2023 Horse Racing

Today.

you can void all tickets on all OTT apps (tvg, twinspires, etc)
ok.. on line bets.. I wonder what the breakdown is for on track vs online handle . Much differen than an avg race day with the crowds up there.

ok.. on line bets.. I wonder what the breakdown is for on track vs online handle . Much differen than an avg race day with the crowds up there.
Vast vast majority of bets are done either online or vegas

handle last summer at saratoga was $878,211,963,

on track bets including bets done on NYRA app by in state residents was $152,274,728

Vast vast majority of bets are done either online or vegas

handle last summer at saratoga was $878,211,963,

on track bets including bets done on NYRA app by in state residents was $152,274,728

but not really accurate ... I know a huge number of people who bet online while at the track... any complicated bet we make on phones at the track. wo while its 35% or so its probably much closer to 50/50. and I would think NYRA means all the apps not just the nyra app as we never use that, its such a bad app and has no perks..

but not really accurate ... I know a huge number of people who bet online while at the track... any complicated bet we make on phones at the track. wo while its 35% or so its probably much closer to 50/50. and I would think NYRA means all the apps not just the nyra app as we never use that, its such a bad app and has no perks..
It’s not all apps and it’s not close to 50/50. again, the point is if they announced the stratches, the vast majority of bettors would have been able to cancel their tickets.

It’s not all apps and it’s not close to 50/50. again, the point is if they announced the stratches, the vast majority of bettors would have been able to cancel their tickets.
Lots of issues with the NYRA wifi yesterday at the spa. Had to break out my NYRA card and bet at the windows.

That was a pretty impressive run by Rhyme Schemes yesterday in the Sar Special.. Coming off the 94 beyers I wonder what he did yesterday.

That was a pretty impressive run by Rhyme Schemes yesterday in the Sar Special.. Coming off the 94 beyers I wonder what he did yesterday.

I think it was a 85 beyer on Saturday, thought I heard somebody mention. I know the number was below 90.

Does anyone know how attendance has been overall this year at Toga? I've been twice (weekdays) and it seemed quiet both days. Also it seems like the scratches have been over the top this year.

Does anyone know how attendance has been overall this year at Toga? I've been twice (weekdays) and it seemed quiet both days. Also it seems like the scratches have been over the top this year.

I think it's been down a little. They only really announce tickets sold which may be fine but I think with the weather which has been horrible the Wednesday/ Thursday attendance has been down for sure. When they quit racing on Monday's it really hurt the Sunday crowd too. Sunday afternoons/ nights the town kind of empties out for the most part.

I was there Saturday and it was packed. I can't speak on the grandstand but the backyard was hopping

I think it's been down a little. They only really announce tickets sold which may be fine but I think with the weather which has been horrible the Wednesday/ Thursday attendance has been down for sure. When they quit racing on Monday's it really hurt the Sunday crowd too. Sunday afternoons/ nights the town kind of empties out for the most part.

I was there Saturday and it was packed. I can't speak on the grandstand but the backyard was hopping
I agree that the closing two days in a row was not well thought out.

I agree that the closing two days in a row was not well thought out.

Yeah the Monday card kept a lot of people around through end of day Monday. By the time the last 2-3 races come around on Sunday night now the track is kind of a ghost town which wasn't the case when they raced on Monday. I am sure they have their reasons and lets face it a lot of the Kentucky trainers are splitting their horses up and keeping quite a few down in Kentucky because Ellis purses have really escalated over the past 5-6 years. I would imagine many Kentucky orders prefer their horses stay local. NYRA has really pushed the NY bred program the last 9-10 years as well.

Whitney was 43,000+. That's a big crowd and maybe biggest ever for that day. The rain hasn't helped with all the races taken off the turf and the scratches. You would think it would hurt the handle.

Whitney was 43,000+. That's a big crowd and maybe biggest ever for that day. The rain hasn't helped with all the races taken off the turf and the scratches. You would think it would hurt the handle.

It certainly has. Handle is down from last year from what I saw. I mean when you take 3-4 races off the turf 2-3 times a week and go from 9-12 horse fields to 4-5 I think it's almost inevitable. It's just not a very good betting product when it rains like this and they come off the grass

attendance was Average daily attendance was 26,890. last yr..

So thats 15K more than Del Mar gets on avg..

Attendance was up 5% over the first 4 weeks from last year

Handle is down but they have had 26 races off the turf so far and only had 5 last year and thats compared to 17 all meet last year. That means scratches and confusing and smaller fields and less betting for sure.

It certainly has. Handle is down from last year from what I saw. I mean when you take 3-4 races off the turf 2-3 times a week and go from 9-12 horse fields to 4-5 I think it's almost inevitable. It's just not a very good betting product when it rains like this and they come off the grass
Not following today closely but I made a few bets this morning and now I see they pulled some off the outer turf today and kept some on. I'm tempted to cancel my 6th race bet.

Another day with turf races pulled off

Would have been fine today if not for the 3 inches or so of rain that came overnight. Maybe they should stop carding 5 or 6 grass races every day.

weather was nice yesterday and crowd seemed legit for a new Sunday. Huge day Saturday for sure. Sunday card with all the NY bred stakes should be great day to wager as well.

Hit a couple doubles over the weekend but have not been able to cash a real nice pick 5 all meet.

my not betting pick 5s is me winning

yeah can be frustrating at times for sure. I usually don't play them until I get up a bit on the week. Gotta get some bankroll going first. But there is no way I won't play the late pick 5 Saturday.

Friday I was live in the last to a 12-1 single. I liked the horse off turf going a mile, shipped in from finger lakes, was on the lead but fizzled out. Too fast early. 1.50 pick 5 ticket would have paid 42K. Those are the breaks

Was there over the weekend, and will spend the next 2 weeks licking my wounds.

Was there over the weekend, and will spend the next 2 weeks licking my wounds.

Can be really brutal. I have been alright at Saratoga but those Friday- Sunday cards at Del Mar have cooked me. Been horrible there, really bad. Can't even get spread races right most times.

Sold a horse that I bred at the Saratoga NY yearling sale last week. Was a lot of fun. She looks like she has a ton of potential but she's a little crazy. I don't like crazy. Horse was born about 1 mile down the road from me outside of Ithaca, shipped her to a farm outside of Saratoga about 6 months later. I hated to see her go but had to recoup some cost for a couple of horses that are now polo horses in Skaneateles. :):)

Last edited:
Can be really brutal. I have been alright at Saratoga but those Friday- Sunday cards at Del Mar have cooked me. Been horrible there, really bad. Can't even get spread races right most times.

Sold a horse that I bred at the Saratoga NY yearling sale last week. Was a lot of fun. She looks like she has a ton of potential but she's a little crazy. I don't like crazy. Horse was born about 1 mile down the road from me outside of Ithaca, shipped her to a farm outside of Saratoga about 6 months later. I hated to see her go but had to recoup some cost for a couple of horses that are now polo horses in Skaneateles. :):)
Sometimes crazy can be good, but not when you have money n the line. Was considering investing in the game but do not like what I’ve heard on the West Point or Centennial models.

Sometimes crazy can be good, but not when you have money n the line. Was considering investing in the game but do not like what I’ve heard on the West Point or Centennial models.

No, I don't recommend many partnerships. I know the guy that started Little Blue Bird stables. Guy who manages it does a great job with the partnerships over there. Really good guy. I own 33% of a horse with them and the Gaudets down in Maryland. so the three parties own the horse. Lacey trains the horse and her and her Mom are a pleasure to work with. horse is 2 so just getting started. West Point puts too much mark up on their horses and the owner and upper management take all the credit and no blame for anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom