2023 MLB Playoffs Thread | Syracusefan.com

2023 MLB Playoffs Thread

samspann1

Living Legend
Twins snap an 18-game post-season losing streak, and take Game 1 over the Jays.

Wheeler and Montgomery spin gems for the Phils and Rangers, respectively, and lead their teams to Game 1 wins.

The D-Backs rough up Corbin Burnes, as they overcome an early 3-0 deficit to take Game 1, 6-3.

As a numbers guy here from time to time and in real life - where I use analytics that have to be mixed with judgment, I can tell you that baseball analytics have become idiotic when it comes to bullpen and staff management. And I believe in analytics in many of its applications in baseball. But not this one.

The Jays decision to remove Jose Berrios after 3 innings of shutout ball when he was pitching very well, was the dumbest application of this I have ever seen.

It appears management / analytics guys decided before the game that this was the way they were going to manage things, and then no matter how Berrios was doing decided to do the move anyway. Kikuchi immediately comes in and gives up 2 runs.

The problem with these pre-determined analytics to manage the staff, is that a single pitchers is homogenous in performance... no matter how he is doing in a game, he will somehow regress, and the next guy will come in and automatically do well.

Of course the Jays morale looks shot, and the Twins got an immediate upper from Berrios coming out.

And I am not necessarily blaming John Schneider (the manager) per se, as this horrendous and idiotic decision came from the top. He was just following orders from the idiots above.

Last edited:
Of course it's also true that the Blue Jays "analytics" team has taken this pre-determined bullpen management to new lows today.

The decision to remove Berrios after 3 shutout innings is making us a laughingstock on twitter... hell even other analytics departments who love to take starters out too early, are probably laughing at us for taking it to such idiotic extremes.

**** the jays management.

Jays offence…

Makes me more angry. The fact that our idiotic staff management has in a sense become irrelevant because we can't score (lack of hitting with RISP, lack of power, combined with a dash of bad baserunning)

I do wonder what the plan was if we made game 3.

Brewers just couldn’t get that big hit…

I understand the 3 game series but it’s tough to play 162 then lose 2 and be out.

Makes me more angry. The fact that our idiotic staff management has in a sense become irrelevant because we can't score (lack of hitting with RISP, lack of power, combined with a dash of bad baserunning)

I do wonder what the plan was if we made game 3.
Teoscar is a free agent again. Would love to have him back here, but thinking he'll have a lot of options including the Jays again.
4 sweeps. I would like to see the Orioles or Twins - the Red Wings two exes.

Brewers just couldn’t get that big hit…

I understand the 3 game series but it’s tough to play 162 then lose 2 and be out.

Especially for a division winner. It just happens so suddenly though. The Jays had irked me all year, but to just have it end in 28 hours after the first pitch of game 1 is just really quick,

Then again winning the Central Divisions in both leagues are much easier. Weak competition. If a team from those 2 divisions can't clinch one of the two top records in the league, maybe they deserve to be in the wildcard round.

Teoscar is a free agent again. Would love to have him back here, but thinking he'll have a lot of options including the Jays again.
4 sweeps. I would like to see the Orioles or Twins - the Red Wings two exes.

Teoscar made himself lots of money with his play in August and September. Or alternatively, he made back the money he lost with how bad he was playing up to the trade deadline.

Around the deadline it seemed that Teoscar would have gladly accepted a pending FA arbitration offer from Seattle. (A 1 yr / 19 million contract). In this weak hitter class, he will not get more than that.

Would be glad to get him on Toronto, but I think unless its new management Teoscar will look elsewhere. I don't think he was that happy to get shipped out.

So much for the first round byes.

all the sweeps and the schedules mean the byes didnt do all that much to those teams. if you win a game and then come back with the #2/#3 the home teams are in a pickle..

Harris is a guy I can’t help but be a fan of. Lots of fun to watch.
I've seen enough games at Truist Park that I was pretty sure it wasn't a home run, but wow I expected at least extra bases.

I only saw the play as it happened, and not any replays. How far did Harper go before turning back?

I do wonder if Harper should have run to a position about 20 feet past second base (although to be fair maybe that is where he was at) . If the ball falls in, I believe he scores from that spot... and that also gives him enough time to tag back up, if caught.

Dodgers load em up with no outs. Great games today.

Freeman with a big inning ending strikeout with runners on, and then hits into a double play after fouling a ball into his knee a few pitches before.

Brutal. Tough to win if your main guys don’t come through.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom