2023 MLB Playoffs Thread | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

2023 MLB Playoffs Thread

Ya Harper is definitely a strike against the analytics crowd who insisted he was overrated when the Phillies signed him. What a player.

The way they use that inverted bullpen is the opposite though. Didn't Bill James say like 30yrs ago the 3 outs in the 7th are just as important as the 9th.

Pitchers used to be firemen as well as closers.

konstanty.jpg

Jim Konstanty - Wikipedia

R.b20352cdff40f66e956d39e64334410b

He has bad starts? His stuff is electric
Not very often but he's gotten roughed up a handful of times. I think the only change in the lineup next year for my Braves will be LF but the starting rotation will be interesting.

Strider and Fried will be the top 2 as long as they stay healthy. There's an option on Morton. He was still pretty good, but started to slip some and will be turning 40 next month and may even retire. Kyle Wright is already out for 2024. Elder saved them in the first half but then was totally lost in the second half. I don't want to depend on him figuring it out. Soroka didn't come back from his Achilles injuries like anyone was hoping. They had a couple rookies that showed signs, but not consistently, so I think we'll be looking at free agency for at least one if not 2 starters.

TV execs must be pissed with all these sweeps or 3-1 series, that look to continue again.

As a fan it’s also been a dud as well. Add the fact that there have been more days off than games of late it’s hard to get invested in the 2023 playoffs, if you are not a fan of a remaining team.

TV execs must be pissed with all these sweeps or 3-1 series, that look to continue again.

As a fan it’s also been a dud as well. Add the fact that there have been more days off than games of late it’s hard to get invested in the 2023 playoffs, if you are not a fan of a remaining team.
Agree.

No NY teams in the playoffs for the first time in many years.

The Dodgers were eliminated almost immediately.

No Chicago teams.

All the dominant teams lost right away: Atlanta, Baltimore and LA.

In the AL, you have a final with two teams from Texas. Only one state really cares what happens there.

In the NL, you have Philly and Arizona. I guess Philly is a big market. Not sure many know or care about Arizona.

Of the two championship series, Texas and Philly look dominant, are up 2-0 and both may sweep.

All the playoff series so far have been sweeps or ended 3-1.

Yes, this is close to a complete disaster for the networks covering the playoffs. Little competitiveness, and close to the least number of games possible.

Agree.

No NY teams in the playoffs for the first time in many years.

The Dodgers were eliminated almost immediately.

No Chicago teams.

All the dominant teams lost right away: Atlanta, Baltimore and LA.

In the AL, you have a final with two teams from Texas. Only one state really cares what happens there.

In the NL, you have Philly and Arizona. I guess Philly is a big market. Not sure many know or care about Arizona.

Of the two championship series, Texas and Philly look dominant, are up 2-0 and both may sweep.

All the playoff series so far have been sweeps or ended 3-1.

Yes, this is close to a complete disaster for the networks covering the playoffs. Little competitiveness, and close to the least number of games possible.

As a fan I don't really care if its a glamour market or not. (of course TV guys do).

I'm just looking for competitiveness and interesting players.
Honestly the thing that bothers me the most is all the days off. The NLDS with 3 days off in the middle of a 5 game series (if it had went that long) was totally absurd.

I’ve barely watched. Huge dud.

That one Braves-Phillies game that ended with the double play was amazing. Beyond that - who cares?

The Philly crowd is pretty dope though. It's so un-Philly like, the positive energy.
It’s weird - TV crowds always seem incredibly sterile now because of the way they mic things.

I’ve been to games that were madhouses, and then when you watch on TV later it doesn’t come across at all.

But those Phillies crowds come across amazing on TV.

It’s weird - TV crowds always seem incredibly sterile now because of the way they mic things.

I’ve been to games that were madhouses, and then when you watch on TV later it doesn’t come across at all.

But those Phillies crowds come across amazing on TV.
Yeah, I was surprised when I watched a replay of the Clemson game how quiet it seemed.

As a fan I don't really care if its a glamour market or not. (of course TV guys do).

I'm just looking for competitiveness and interesting players.
Honestly the thing that bothers me the most is all the days off. The NLDS with 3 days off in the middle of a 5 game series (if it had went that long) was totally absurd.
It's always such a who cares topic to me.
Hockey has had many dream market finals in recent years: LA vs NY, Boston/Philly vs Chi.
Baseball had LA vs Boston.
Was there anymore water cooler talk from casual fans those years than any other? Does it ever actually draw in new fans or do anything for the sport long term?
Maybe the :30 spots cost a bit more. Great. Could effect the next Rights deal I suppose. Probably not even that if the current deal doesn't expire for another six years. They're outrageous anyway 'cause nobody watches anything else live anymore.

The Astros are so soft

Texas needed to make Houston pay there when they had first and second with nobody out in the bottom of the eighth.

I'm just glad we have an interesting series ... first one that has had each team win two games.

Don't have to like Houston, but they are a really good playoff team. Altuve is clutch.

Also, as mentioned upthread, Kimbrel sucks. Hope he never pitches for the Phillies again.

Exactly. Like I always tell the wannabe sports executives on twitter/x, unless you work for the network, league, or a sponsor you shouldn't care about the ratings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom