2023 NFL Thread | Page 108 | Syracusefan.com

2023 NFL Thread

Nope. Some average QB's have more than one ring. Eli comes to mind. But Mahomes does it all, and willed his team to victory the last two years. I mean, what CAN'T he do?
You're fine, I'm sure you'll have plenty of people on the same page on ESPN this morning. I'm with 0307, I like to wait longer than most to discuss legacy's. I'm a, consistency and longevity at the highest level, guy when it comes to where I put my most value. I also like to wait until a players career is done. I still don't want to talk where Lebron stands yet.

You're fine, I'm sure you'll have plenty of people on the same page on ESPN this morning. I'm with 0307, I like to wait longer than most to discuss legacy's. I'm a, consistency and longevity at the highest level, guy when it comes to where I put my most value. I also like to wait until a players career is done. I still don't want to talk where Lebron stands yet.
I'll answer the LeBron question

Behind Jordan, Kobe, Magic for "modern"

I thought the greenlaw injury changed the game. The D didn’t seem to ever get the same pressure on Mahomes, and they went after Greenlaws replacement. And that hurts their D to start next year.
It wouldn't be a KC playoff game without a crippling LB injury or six. Are we sure Roquan Smith wasn't playing on a torn ACL?

I'll answer the LeBron question

Behind Jordan, Kobe, Magic for "modern"
Screenshot 2024-02-12 091925.png

We do SB squares every Qtr. I knew the muffed punt screwed me for Q3 but won so much smashing KC in-game I didn't really care. Then I open email & see two of the highest paid in the office won twice each. Seems fair.

He thought there was more risk in not getting a possible third possession if they deferred which I agreed with.

If that's your concern, it would seem to me that you would have better odds of taking the ball second and going for two if you score a touchdown (like Chiefs players said would have been their plan if they won the toss) rather than hoping you are able to get into field goal range on another possession. Additionally, if you defer and get a turnover/stop, all you have to do is kick a field goal to win. He overthought it, in my opinion. If I'm guaranteed an overtime possession, I'm deferring every single time.

If that's your concern, it would seem to me that you would have better odds of taking the ball second and going for two if you score a touchdown (like Chiefs players said would have been their plan if they won the toss) rather than hoping you are able to get into field goal range on another possession. Additionally, if you defer and get a turnover/stop, all you have to do is kick a field goal to win. He overthought it, in my opinion. If I'm guaranteed an overtime possession, I'm deferring every single time.
If there are three possessions, I’d like to have two of them.

That's my point. There doesn't need to be three possessions. You're in control of that if you take the ball second.
That sounds good in theory but Andy Reid isn't going for 4th&5 in FG range down 3.
Ya he could and should go for 2 if they both score TDs, so be it.

Or get a stop/turnover on the opening possession and kick a field goal. That's the easiest one, right?
Not any easier than kicking a field goal and getting a stop. Either way, you have to score and get a stop.

It is the obvious decision.
I think the decision is how much you trust your offense.. KC was gonna score the TD and go for 2 I suspect if they needed it.

you get the ball and don't score, bad good chance short field for KC
you get the ball and kick a FG, bad vs KC they can tie or win
you get the ball and score the TD but kick it, better, but no guarantee you get the ball back the 3rd time either.

I say kick off.

I think the decision is how much you trust your offense.. KC was gonna score the TD and go for 2 I suspect if they needed it.

you get the ball and score the TD but kick it, better, but no guarantee you get the ball back the 3rd time either.

I say kick off.
It is easier to defend when the other team has to get a touchdown.

never easy to defend a team that has 4th down to use though.
Or when it’s Patrick Mahomes. Zero reason to take the ball first against him & give him extra down (they converted a fourth on that drive) Everything else is overthinking.

Either way, the 49ers either have to prevent a Chiefs’ touchdown or 2 point conversion to win. It’s not a great position to be in.

Last edited:
Someday there will be a playoff game where the team that takes the ball second loses on the third possession and the argument will change.

I say kick off.
I'd much rather kick off in nearly any circumstance. The clarity of knowing what you have to do to win or extend the game once you get the ball back is a big advantage, IMO.

I think the only scenario where I'd want to receive first is if my defense is extremely gassed from the final drive of regulation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom