2023 NFL Thread | Page 109 | Syracusefan.com

2023 NFL Thread

Seriously? One of the BEST features of that game was that the officials didn't screw anything up.

Of course, I don't bet on the games, so I don't get upset by calls.

Unless, of course, the calls go against my beloved Iggles...

Or when it’s Patrick Mahomes. Zero reason to take the ball first against him & give him extra down (they converted a fourth on that drive) Everything else is overthinking.
There is nothing stopping the team getting the ball first from utilizing all four downs as well.

KC only goes for it on fourth down until they get in FG range. After that they are kicking. Then you get the ball back and just need a FG to win. There's arguments both ways here, but I think Shanahan got it right.

If that's your concern, it would seem to me that you would have better odds of taking the ball second and going for two if you score a touchdown (like Chiefs players said would have been their plan if they won the toss) rather than hoping you are able to get into field goal range on another possession. Additionally, if you defer and get a turnover/stop, all you have to do is kick a field goal to win. He overthought it, in my opinion. If I'm guaranteed an overtime possession, I'm deferring every single time.
The odds of converting a 2 aren’t much more than a coin flip so if you go down a TD multiply the odds of TD by 1/2 and I’m betting those odds are worse than any situation where you get the ball first.

Jones is just as good as Aaron Donald. There’s an argument to be made he was the MVP of their entire run. He causes the Allen inaccurate throw in the Divisional round and cause 2 Purdy overthrows on possible touchdowns yesterday. If that’s a normal DT the Chiefs aren’t even in yesterdays game.
He also made huge plays against the Bengals last year. Jones is great. Secret to their D for me is they can cover. Niners main guys could not get open.

I'd much rather kick off in nearly any circumstance. The clarity of knowing what you have to do to win or extend the game once you get the ball back is a big advantage, IMO.

I think the only scenario where I'd want to receive first is if my defense is extremely gassed from the final drive of regulation.
I think your last paragraph was a factor. Think niners d was gassed. I also think they fire their DC next week.

He also made huge plays against the Bengals last year. Jones is great. Secret to their D for me is they can cover. Niners main guys could not get open.
niners had guys open but Purdy locked in too much. refused to use the RB/TE throws enough

I think your last paragraph was a factor. Think niners d was gassed. I also think they fire their DC next week.
you need to score. if KC scores they kick the XP the D rests and you still need to score. I had no faith the Niners would score because the play calling was bad after the first drive fumble

the Niners settled for the FG in OT.. should have run 2 more times and got the TD

Nick Bosa is one of the best players in the game, but the chiefs abused his aggressiveness. On most of the big plays the chiefs got, he was allowed to crash in on run fakes unblocked and Mahomes ran around behind him.

Idk I guess they could have been gassed, but the end of regulation went like this: Timeout - 3 plays by KC - Timeout - 1 play by KC - Field goal. So two full timeouts in the span of four plays plus time between the field goal and kickoff plus time for a kneel down and then time for the OT coinflip and subsequent kickoff. That's a ton of rest for the defense in that span.

I think the KC D was more gassed and 49ers moved down the field until they gave up on pwr runs.

The odds of converting a 2 aren’t much more than a coin flip so if you go down a TD multiply the odds of TD by 1/2 and I’m betting those odds are worse than any situation where you get the ball first.

Maybe. But my whole reasoning for deferring is that you know exactly what you need to do when you get the ball back. If you need to score a touchdown, then you should go for two if you do score, because your odds of converting a two point conversion and winning the game right then are much higher than if you took the ball first, get it back for that third possession and have to kick a game winning field goal. You have around a 50% chance of converting a two point conversion. Only around 30% of all drives ended in points in the NFL in 2023. I'm sure that number ticks up a little bit when you factor in kneel downs, but not to the same level of converting a two point conversion, and I'd still prefer that to playing for a third possession that may never actually happen (like last night).

Before you realized it was about Jesus, what did you think that long foot-washing commercial was about? I guessed Skechers or Dove Body Wash and my wife guessed Dr. Scholl's foot powder.

Before you realized it was about Jesus, what did you think that long foot-washing commercial was about? I guessed Skechers or Dove Body Wash and my wife guessed Dr. Scholl's foot powder.
No idea… but How about that it’s all a PR campaign for Jesus by the Hobby Lobby guy???

Maybe. But my whole reasoning for deferring is that you know exactly what you need to do when you get the ball back. If you need to score a touchdown, then you should go for two if you do score, because your odds of converting a two point conversion and winning the game right then are much higher than if you took the ball first, get it back for that third possession and have to kick a game winning field goal. You have around a 50% chance of converting a two point conversion. Only around 30% of all drives ended in points in the NFL in 2023. I'm sure that number ticks up a little bit when you factor in kneel downs, but not to the same level of converting a two point conversion, and I'd still prefer that to playing for a third possession that may never actually happen (like last night).
per your logic , in this situation, you “know” mahommes is scoring a TD so then you already know what you have to do even though you are going 1st.

per your logic , in this situation, you “know” mahommes is scoring a TD so then you already know what you have to do even though you are going 1st.

Not sure how you came to that logic? Again, I’m just saying that it makes sense to me to want the ball second knowing exactly what I need to do rather than planning ahead for some hypothetical third possession in overtime that has no guarantee of even happening.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom