2023 NFL Thread | Page 93 | Syracusefan.com

2023 NFL Thread

Josh Allen in the three playoff losses vs. the Chiefs:

65% completion
1,030 yards
9 total TD's
1 Turnover

Meanwhile, the McDermott-led defense has given up 38, 42 and 27 points, respectively. Yet there are clowns on sports talk shows all over blaming Josh once again. He has to be PERFECT in order to even give his team a chance to win these games. And even when he pretty much was in the '22 divisional playoff, his defense still blew it big time. Wild.

This is the NFL control mechanism I've referenced forever that everybody said I was crazy about.

It's always been there

The refs all have ear-pieces in
main-qimg-f16c0ea8220b8646fb9af5d1161b7be1-lq

He had 72 yards and 2 rushing TD's on 6 yards per carry and you wanted the ball out of his hands more often? Ok.
51 yards and both scores happened in the first half. Then KC adjusted. And the Bills lost because their adjustments were inadequate

Didn’t need 3 50-yard bombs. Needed 3 15-20 yard chunk plays. Those bombs have also been his Achilles heel for interceptions

Edit. The gunslinger mentality for Josh also extends to his running. On the RPOs, he needs to actually hand off once in awhile so the defense actually respects that option.

And why didn’t the Bills try an outside run when KC had everyone in the box? A pitch might have worked.
Taking an occasional down field shot to keep the defense honest is not gunslinging. Yesterday all three should have been completed as well

Diggs was bad, but I think Allen probably should have thrown the bomb slightly sooner. Even with his arm he underthrew him. If he gets it out sooner Diggs is probably able to maintain more separation.

Taking an occasional down field shot to keep the defense honest is not gunslinging. Yesterday all three should have been completed as well
You think the one to the end zone where he got bumped should have been completed? Why?

And one of my biggest problems with that play was it was going to leave Mahomes far too much time left on the clock.

51 yards and both scores happened in the first half. Then KC adjusted. And the Bills lost because their adjustments were inadequate

I'm not totally sure how they adjusted. He had 4 carries for 21 yards in the second half, so still 5.3 yards per carry. Meanwhile, the last four carries that Cook had went for -3 yards, -4 yards, 0 yards and 1 yard. So yeah, maybe Josh should have just kept it himself more.

You think the one to the end zone where he got bumped should have been completed? Why?

And one of my biggest problems with that play was it was going to leave Mahomes far too much time left on the clock.
That wasn’t one of the three deep throws I’m referring to. Diggs and two to no hands not sure field . Allen can get gunslingery at times but yesterday, and in fact Pretty much the entire last part of the season, he was not .

I'm not totally sure how they adjusted. He had 4 carries for 21 yards in the second half, so still 5.3 yards per carry. Meanwhile, the last four carries that Cook had went for -3 yards, -4 yards, 0 yards and 1 yard. So yeah, maybe Josh should have just kept it himself more.
Fair. That’s more on the OC which is my real complaint. They solved the inside runs that the Bills exploited in the first half. Needed a better response.

That wasn’t one of the three deep throws I’m referring to. Diggs and two to no hands not sure field . Allen can get gunslingery at times but yesterday, and in fact Pretty much the entire last part of the season, he was not .
If anything I thought outside of the Miami game they handcuffed him too much. The passing stats down the stretch back that up.

Diggs was bad, but I think Allen probably should have thrown the bomb slightly sooner. Even with his arm he underthrew him. If he gets it out sooner Diggs is probably able to maintain more separation.
Make a catch. You’re supposed to be a #1 receiver . Catch the ball that went right through your hands .

Fair. That’s more on the OC which is my real complaint. They solved the inside runs that the Bills exploited in the first half. Needed a better response.

Agreed on that. Continually trying to jam Cook up the middle every first down was not working. They ran a play probably 10 times where David Edwards came onto the field as an extra offensive lineman reporting as an eligible receiver. I believe every single one of those plays was a run and almost none of them were successful. It was maddening to watch. Meanwhile, we have a very capable blocking tight end in Knox who is also a threat to catch the ball and he was on the sideline for every single one of those plays. Inexcusable.

I might be in the minority, but I like the “fumble through the endzone is a touchback” rule.
Agreed. None of the alternatives seem viable or logical.

I might be in the minority, but I like the “fumble through the endzone is a touchback” rule.
Agreed. None of the alternatives seem viable or logical.

It's been around for as long as I can remember, (go to 4:25):

also: Erickson was clearly in the end zone when he fumbled.

Don’t think he deserves all the blame at all, but 186 yards on 39 attempts ain’t great. Obviously there were missed opportunities, but you can say that pretty much every game. Switch his name to Prescott and the national media probably sings a different tune.
I hear what you're saying but I actually think the national media expects Allen to be superman every time out. Not to mention a cottage industry has emerged of a handful of talking heads that love to rip on Allen whenever they get a chance. Nick Wright, Bomani Jones, Dominique Foxworth and numerous other pundits on tv and radio.

I hear what you're saying but I actually think the national media expects Allen to be superman every time out. Not to mention a cottage industry has emerged of a handful of talking heads that love to rip on Allen whenever they get a chance. Nick Wright, Bomani Jones, Dominique Foxworth and numerous other pundits on tv and radio.
I said this somewhere else, but relying on Allen to be your second tailback hurts his passing. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that when they asked him to run more later in the year his passing stats became less efficient. Unlike Lamar he takes a lot of hits.

Josh Allen in the three playoff losses vs. the Chiefs:

65% completion
1,030 yards
9 total TD's
1 Turnover

Meanwhile, the McDermott-led defense has given up 38, 42 and 27 points, respectively. Yet there are clowns on sports talk shows all over blaming Josh once again. He has to be PERFECT in order to even give his team a chance to win these games. And even when he pretty much was in the '22 divisional playoff, his defense still blew it big time. Wild.
Football is the ultimate team game. Not sure Allen could have done much more. No doubt the defense just hasn't gotten the job done (of course they were banged up this postseason). Allen was the reason why those games were even competitive. Surprised he's not getting blamed for the missed FG attempt.

I think it's about time it's a penalty for the ball carrier to get a penalty for straight arming a defensive player in the face. I'm all for the straight arm but to the face region. It's a penalty everywhere else.

How many of those cook runs are on first downs where the chiefs had the box stacked and knew they were going to run? All of them? Joe Brady isn’t the genius he’s being made out to be

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom