2023 PLL Season | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

2023 PLL Season

Tucker def has skill to be great pll middie for sure. Can snipe it with both hands even on run also. The thing i worry bout him is his passing. He really need to improve or work on his passing game. He was always so use to being the guy to just go n go for shot. Now he’s in league where all dudes are pretty much killers. Needs to be able to feed the ball more to teammates then college which think will open many lanes for him if does so. Be even more dangerous if they can’t play him as just shooter but have to play him as shooter/feeder. But curry is def someone i want to prove and stay out there on game day. Said pressler loves his pop n believe it kid has speed for days n nasty shot. He’s also good dishing ball. Great to see him score on his only shot of game.
Yeah I agree and don't underestand how Mark Orourke gets more PT then him. Obviously he's Presslers guy from Bryant but he played attack at Bryant and has a great lefty shot. Curry is a better middie with more speed and just as good of a shot. Orourke didn't play a lot but more then Curry played.

I think Dordevic had a solid debut. 2 goals including the late game tying one (before the Chrome went on to win). He did also have an assist. He's listed with 0 turnovers but if I recall correctly he had at least 1 mishandled pass and may have dodged into trouble once. I thought he did a relatively good job passing in the game - while I agree it's a skill that can definitely be improved, I feel like the ball didn't die in his stick as much as it has in the past. His shooting percentage was rough, but I expect that to improve over the season. The Whips offense as a whole struggled with ball movement at times, which should be helped as Williams and Smith return, but I don't think Dordevic was the cause of any stagnancy. He'll get more comfortable and precise as the season goes.

I agree about Curry - I think he needs a lot more runs. He had 1 goal (off an invert) with limited touches. His speed adds a different element to the Atlas midfield that I think they really need to capitalize on. With Dennis having an off day, and Costabile forced into extra defensive shifts due to Logan's injury, I was genuinely surprised he didn't get more time on O. He looked good when he was out there. O'Rourke is a good attackman, but he had a pretty miserable game from the midfield.

Dearth had a pretty good game as well, especially in the first half. It looked like his legs got tired in the 2nd as he had to pick up more shifts due to Logan's injury. He almost had a highlight reel goal bulldozing a Redwoods player (maybe Montgomery? I don't remember) on his way to goal. But the impact tripped him up. Got beat once or twice in the second, but at least one of those times was a miscommunication with Richard that seemed (to my untrained eye) like Richard's fault. I think he, in particular, struggled for the Bulls.

Voight had a goal but certainly did not do enough to impress. A few mistakes, and he is a player that benefits from good ball movement, which the Chaos reserves did not really have. I wouldn't be surprised to see him hit the waiver wire when the majority of the offense joins the team after the NLL final.

I could go on and on about Rehfuss. I think he should be on the field. I think his skillset is exactly what the Cannons need out of the box. 9 of their 13 goals were assisted, but only Nolting had multiple assists. I will slightly disagree in that I think Nolting had a pretty good game ( I think 1g 4a?) at attack. Rehfuss needs to be the quarterback from up top, and he does need to show he can beat a PLL pole. The Cannons were bad all over the offensive side of the field last year, and he again had many good feeds that went in unburied. But he did struggle when he was consistently poled. I think he should be on the field, but I do have a feeling that, with the other personnel on this offense, he's going to need to show that he can be a dodging threat as well. Now, if he were traded to a team that was better off-ball . . .

I've got to say this is a bit of a surprise. There were, of course, indicators that for whatever the reasons, he wasn't a match for what the new coaching staff wanted. Obviously we couldn't see what was happening in camp, but he's showed the ability to compete at a high level in this league. Cannon's staff must be confident in their current lineup, especially with Nolting's ability to continue to distribute.

I hope teams try to scoop him up. I think the Chaos are a perfect match.

Archers could be as well, especially if Ament's injury is more serious.

I feel less convinced the Chrome will be interested after Morrill and Ferrara's play this past weekend.

The Whips might also be a sneaky team in the mix to land him.

Reuniting him with Dordevic is a nice story, but taking a look at their roster, they dressed 7 relatively pure offensive players along with 2 two-way guys (Kirst and Leadmon). Although I don't recall seeing Leadmon play a ton of defense.

They'll have Rambo, Manny, and Williams (when he rejoins) at attack. This is a pretty solid group, and Rambo has shown a developed tendency to be an effective feeder over the last few years (he had 3a on Sunday).

On the midfield, Dordevic and Chanenchuk are locks. Smith will be too, but it's unclear how long his injury will sideline him. I don't think Lulley had a particularly impressive game, and Khan has been consistently above average (1g 1a on Sunday). I feel like there's plenty of room to compete for a spot on the Midfield here, and for a player that can initiate against a short stick. I imagine the attack and Dordevic (and/or Smith) will consistently draw poles, which would put Rehfuss on a short stick regularly.

I think Chaos, Whips, and Archers (without a healthy Ament) make the most sense as a landing spot.

Chrome and Waterdogs could happen, but I don't think the need exists in quite the same way. There is simply no room for new offensive pieces on the Woods, especially with Lee and McLaughlin's imminent arrival.

I've seen some Atlas fans really interested in bringing him on, and there is a bit of a Cuse connection there, but who are you bumping off? Especially keeping in mind that Aitken will be coming off PUP at some point, and that they have Petterson and Guterding on the 25 man roster. O'Rourke will likely go at some point. But who else? It could happen. The roster is somewhat split (a lot of 2-man game guys + the dodging trio of Dennis, Costabile, and Curry). Only 17 of their 72 assists last year came from their offensive midfield, so I might actually be talking myself into this more as I type . . .

Not a terrible team to root for!

A lot of cuts today (including Kennedy from Chaos).

Might have more thoughts later but this could be a good fit for Rehfuss - though I do think it ironically puts Curry in jeopardy. Tough to say what direction Pressler ultimately takes with this offense. I think Costabile is safe on that roster, I would've thought Dennis too but he had a rough first game. There seems to be some redundancy with their dodgers, and the type of offense might be moving away from the downhill dodging completely. Curry's familiarity with Rehfuss, and ability to invert, however, might keep him around.

No Rhefuss for the Atlas, Kennedy for the Whipsnakes or Voigt for the Chaos this weekend. Cole Kirst makes his debut for the Redwoods though. I think all other former Orange players that played last week will do so again this week (Curry, Dearth, Porter, Dordevic and Phaup on reserve list).

I have no idea what team communications look like during the week, but with limited practice time, it's not terribly surprising that Rehfuss and Kennedy aren't on the game day roster. They might need time to look over the playbook or the coaches might want another game to evaluate other players before they shake up the lineup too much.

That being said, I'd hope that Rehfuss can supplant O'Rourke in the Atlas lineup soon. I really did not think he had an impressive game from the midfield.

Also surprised to see the Atlas with 2 healthy SSDMs (and a hobbled Logan in the lineup). I'd expect to see an extra dosage of Dearth. Hopefully extra reps for him (and Richard) don't tire them out by game's end. With Comizio on the reserve, Pressler might also be waiting to see how Logan feels Saturday before making a last minute switch.

I'm not sure how much Kennedy we'll see this season. Whips D and LSM group is as tight as they come. I imagine he's there to learn, provide depth if needed, and (hopefully) be part of their long term plans as the other poles get up there in age.

Kelly over Phaup just seems crazy to me after Kelly's performance last weekend (and the last few years too).

Excited to see Kirst get some runs for the Woods.

Kirst looked good with 2g 1a. Really fun player to watch and certainly looked like he belongs on a PLL roster. Would love to see him out there all summer long, but there's such a logjam of offensive talent on this Redwoods team. Lee and McLaughlin will be suiting up soon. Who knows how long Bertrand will be out. Do you think about keeping Kirst in the lineup at the expense of Heningburg, Perkovic, or Jones? None of those 3 have been super productive thus far . . .

Heningburg is much better at attack. For some reason he's just not productive out of the box. I would play Kirst over him. Idk if they will when Bertrand comes back but I would unless Jules does something big next week.

With 1 game of experience, Kirst has 3pts (2g 1a) and Bertrand has 1pt (1g).

With 2 games of experience, Heningburg has 3 pta (1g 2a), Jones has 1 point (1g) Perkovic has zero and Demaio has zero.

I agree - Heningburg is much more comfortable not coming out of the box. The nature of this league ensures than there just aren't enough starting attack spots for the players available.

If Lee, McLaughlin, and Bertrand are getting inserted into the lineup (if), who are the 3 coming out? Demaio is the first choice. I think Heningburg's ability to distribute from up top is still compelling enough to keep him in. And Perkovic, although the least productive, has been playing the most 2-way of the group. Do they dare sit Jones?

I don't envy the Woods coaching staff making these choices, but I feel like you gotta let the rookie get some playing time if he's showing the production.

Dordevic (3g including a 2 pointer) and Curry (3g) both looked great today. Dearth also looked solid with extra run time. The stats don't show it but he had a couple of trail/recovery checks that stopped scoring chances.

Dordevic was a wayward pant leg away from scoring the potential game winner (his shot was snagged by the bottom opening of Concannon's shorts).

Curry got more runs and scored more goals (off ball, invert, and dodge). He's really playing himself into a role on this team.

Curry with big game today. 3 goals on 4 shots think i counted. He has dusted his guy when he gets chance to do so.

Hope curry stays productive his first game he had goal on one shot. Today 3 goals on 4 shots (believe) so his shooting percentage is good. He’s one of my favorite players from cuse really hope he stays on active roster. Kid just has speed for days and shot on run is sick. Dennis i still think is overrated. Yes has hard shot but dude just can’t be accurate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom