2023 Preseason Camp Thread | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

2023 Preseason Camp Thread

Petry size wise has not looked out of place.

I think I read a few weeks ago that he was up to 291 [up from ~270]. So at least he's now in the right ballpark.

He's probably the 10th guy in the two-deep, but sounds like he's more physically suited than before.

Last edited:
He was in great shape last year. He had every opportunity last year to be a really important #2 guy. Even the coaching staff said someone needed to step up in the receiving corps. I said before the season started last year he was a potential NFL pick. It’s also possible he mentally doesn’t have what the top guys have. We’ll see this year. It’s just as likely he doesn’t really show up consistently as he shines. But making two catches a game isn’t showing up.
This a is true and irrefutable. Shrader even said as much in his last interview when he was asked about the current #2 And referring to DA last year

Shrader said right now the #2 is Damien because last year he was spectacular but only once every week or two but now it’s EVERY throw. “I really trust him and he has become really consistent”.

That was HUGE for me to hear. If Alford is #2 and we know Jones would be a great #3 then it leave the others to compete for #4 (Peña/Adams/Hatcher/Long etc) which would be a great position to be in.

Last edited:
This a is true and unrefutable. Shrader even said as much in his last interview when he was asked about the current #2 And referring to DA last year

Shrader said right now the #2 is Damien because last year he was spectacular but only once every week or two but now it’s EVERY throw. “I really trust him and he has become really consistent”.

That was HUGE for me to hear. If Alford is #2 and we know Jones would be a great #3 then it leave the others to compete for #4 (Peña/Adams/Hatcher/Long etc) which would be a great position to be in.
I'm rooting for Alford to dispel my skepticism.

But so long as someone emerges, we're good.

This a is true and unrefutable. Shrader even said as much in his last interview when he was asked about the current #2 And referring to DA last year

Having BOTH Alford and Jones actualize their potential this year alongside OG would be HUGE for the offense. We'd be able to make teams pay for indiscriminately double- and triple-teaming OG, and daring us to throw to somebody else.

Would be a massive development -- hope it works out that way.

Agree with you that we have a group of decent options for that #4 receiver.

Nice! Where did he say that? I must have missed that media piece.

Having BOTH Alford and Jones actualize their potential this year alongside OG would be HUGE for the offense. We'd be able to make teams pay for indiscriminately double- and triple-teaming OG, and daring us to throw to somebody else.

Would be a massive development -- hope it works out that way.

Agree with you that we have a group of decent options for that #4 receiver.
It's very possible that all of Alford, Jones, Hatcher and Pena have all made big strides from what they've previously shown us at the same time, and the WR unit goes from being uneven (OG head and shoulders above everyone else) to having a much higher performance floor.

I suspect Pena is going to have a sneaky good year. Just have a hunch that he and Allen are going to see a lot of targets in the Beck offense.

It's very possible that all of Alford, Jones, Hatcher and Pena have all made big strides from what they've previously shown us at the same time, and the WR unit goes from being uneven (OG head and shoulders above everyone else) to having a much higher performance floor.

I suspect Pena is going to have a sneaky good year. Just have a hunch that he and Allen are going to see a lot of targets in the Beck offense.
Pena I'm a huge fan but he's a space guy. Hope to see him on sweeps, misdirection, screens, reverses etc. He's bigger too so I think he'll break more open field tackles

I'm bullish on the WR group. Good shout on Pena too, he's put on like 10-12 lbs of muscle which should really help him.

I think I read a few weeks ago that he was up to 291 [up from ~270]. So at least he's now in the right ballpark.

He's probably the 10th guy in the two-deep, but sounds like he's more physically suited than before.
He is listed at 292 on the roster, so that checks out.

A reliable source indicates a light has turned on for Mark. His play is markedly improved this preseason. Whether it is good enough to hold off Wohlabaugh, More and Long Island Cruz remains to be seen.

A reliable source indicates a light has turned on for Mark. His play is markedly improved this preseason. Whether it is good enough to hold off Wohlabaugh, More and Long Island Cruz remains to be seen.

Great to hear, across the board. In recent years, we've been starving for quality OL play, especially in reserve. If Petry has elevated his level of play and can help provide depth in the two deep his senior campaign, that would go a long way toward the season being a success.

As with most seasons, OL performance is going to determine our ceiling, IMO.

I suspect you didn't intend this, but as arbiter of nicknaming, "Long Island" Cruz is approved.

:gavel'd:

To me. the big thing with Damien is that he has to be tougher in 2023. He is big and strong and should have no problems holding his own against physical corners.

But I saw him getting bodied out of bounds against Pitt and other schools who play defense where the corners get into the chest of the receivers and bounce and push all game long. No way he should ever get pushed OB against a guy 5 or 6 inches shorter and 20 pounds lighter.

Very nice young man. Has to become a very tough nice young man this seaosn.

To me. the big thing with Damien is that he has to be tougher in 2023. He is big and strong and should have no problems holding his own against physical corners.

But I saw him getting bodied out of bounds against Pitt and other schools who play defense where the corners get into the chest of the receivers and bounce and push all game long. No way he should ever get pushed OB against a guy 5 or 6 inches shorter and 20 pounds lighter.

Very nice young man. Has to become a very tough nice young man this seaosn.

Very happy he chose to return, when a portal transfer seemed imminent.

Wouldn't it be something if Alford had a Jamal Custis-esque late career bump in production? Hopefully, one year sooner!

Kid has NFL size / speed / hands. He can get there if he steps it up these next two years.

Very happy he chose to return, when a portal transfer seemed imminent.

Wouldn't it be something if Alford had a Jamal Custis-esque late career bump in production? Hopefully, one year sooner!

Kid has NFL size / speed / hands. He can get there if he steps it up these next two years.
I think it will not be unusual for us to have Gadsden in the slot, with Alford and Jones on the outside.

They are listed as 6'5, 6'6 and 6'4. Gadsden is 223 pounds, Alford 210 and Jones 200.

Not many teams have the personnel to match up well with that group.

Fourth video (lower right) in the first set of videos; is that Barlyn Oliver working with the corners? He has been working at rover since he got here last year. Did the arrival of Farmer make this move easier (I'm pretty sure it did)?

Fourth video (lower right) in the second set of videos (1 on 1's); Excellent coverage, Great ball placement and outstanding catch (Donovan Brown). Who threw that pass?

Sa what you want, but Emily gives us more videos than anybody else who covers the team.
Thank you Emily!

Her post is titled "Final camp thread." When is the third scrimmage? Are we transitioning into game prep for Colgate?

This is AWESOME news! Surprised we are not getting more response to this. (Edit: Woops. missed the previous several posts) For Shrader to be saying this means we likely have a #2 and Alford is ready to step up and be a consistent serious option. But it also sounds like he thinks others have improved as well but Alford is above the others. I really don't think lack of respectable receiving threat options is going to be a problem this year.

Now we just need the OL to gel...(fingers crossed).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom