2023 USMNT | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

2023 USMNT

A few thoughts:
- Zendejas has some fancy dribbling tricks up his sleeve, but he doesn't seem to be on the same page as his teammates.
- Cowell also didn't impress me much against a physically overmatched opponent... he needs a LOT of refinement. Right now he is a modern day Frankie Hejduk although Heydude might have had more quality than Cowell.
- Busio did pretty good... to his credit he took advantage of his opportunity. I hope he does it again against a better opponent
- Mihalovic seems to have the most quality on the team.. I'd like to see more of him
- Miazga made some really bone headed plays, again against a completely overmatched opponent.
- This is Ferrera's level and he dominated. But I still don't trust him to do anything versus a better team who can take away his space.

Good win for the US... they did what they needed to do against a glorified rec team. I'm not going to take too much away from this game

Cowell has potential as a sub. He's young so I would expect a roller coaster. He's ahead of Morris at the same stage. Mihalovic looked a level above everyone else tonight. Miazga drives me crazy with how awful some of his clearances still are.

I thought DeJuan Jones had a very good game at LB. I liked him a lot better than Tolken in game 1. Yes, quality of opponent, blah blah blah.

Remember when we used to beat cupcakes in basketball non-conference season? Even though we won handily, we watched closely to see how players performed their roles, did they understand their responsibilities, did they contribute offensively, or were they too timid?

That's what tonight was.

That said, Jones was good, and helped his standing in a position where we need a good backup to A. Robinson.

I thought that the 19 year old, Jalen Neal, was really good. Boy, is he big?! Very good athlete. Could be a starter in a couple years.

I thought that Sands was much better in midfield tonight. Quality of opponent, yes, but he played well, and made many positive impacts on the game. Aiden Morris, not so much, another bad game.

The two dual national guys; again Zendejas was better than Sonora, but Zendejas has to do more. Some nice interplay with some guys, but not enough of it. Sonora, forget about it for a year or two.

Bryan Reynolds is a tall guy to play on the wing or as a fullback. But he was really good tonight, and that shot was lazer.

For 30 minutes, I thought Cade Cowell reminded me of a guy like Weston McKennie, Reece James or Mikhail Antonio; not the tallest guys, but built wide and thick. And they are quick enough to get the corner on a fullback or a centerback. He needs to work on more attacking moves, but he's a very good prospect, in my opinion.

Ferreira had a terrific game, so hats off to him! It's good to have several guys who can get you goals.

Yes they were "supposed to" win, but how often have we seen this situation, only to squeak out a 2-1 or 1-0 win? Job well done, boys.

As far as club football, Busio and another American (Tanner Tessmann) both play for Venezia.

Tessmann emerged as the every match starter and Busio became a bench fixture. So it's surprising to see which of them is on this roster.

I think Italian coaches might think that Busio doesn't work hard enough on defense. His passing skill, and composure on the ball are really outstanding; there's no denying that. He's kind of like a Sergino Dest - tremendous skills; maybe need to toughen up, like DeAndre Yedlin did, when he played a season under Rafa Benitez.

I thought DeJuan Jones had a very good game at LB. I liked him a lot better than Tolken in game 1. Yes, quality of opponent, blah blah blah.

Remember when we used to beat cupcakes in basketball non-conference season? Even though we won handily, we watched closely to see how players performed their roles, did they understand their responsibilities, did they contribute offensively, or were they too timid?

That's what tonight was.

That said, Jones was good, and helped his standing in a position where we need a good backup to A. Robinson.

I thought that the 19 year old, Jalen Neal, was really good. Boy, is he big?! Very good athlete. Could be a starter in a couple years.

I thought that Sands was much better in midfield tonight. Quality of opponent, yes, but he played well, and made many positive impacts on the game. Aiden Morris, not so much, another bad game.

The two dual national guys; again Zendejas was better than Sonora, but Zendejas has to do more. Some nice interplay with some guys, but not enough of it. Sonora, forget about it for a year or two.

Bryan Reynolds is a tall guy to play on the wing or as a fullback. But he was really good tonight, and that shot was lazer.

For 30 minutes, I thought Cade Cowell reminded me of a guy like Weston McKennie, Reece James or Mikhail Antonio; not the tallest guys, but built wide and thick. And they are quick enough to get the corner on a fullback or a centerback. He needs to work on more attacking moves, but he's a very good prospect, in my opinion.

Ferreira had a terrific game, so hats off to him! It's good to have several guys who can get you goals.

Yes they were "supposed to" win, but how often have we seen this situation, only to squeak out a 2-1 or 1-0 win? Job well done, boys.

I forgot to say anything about Djordje M. as our #10 / deep lying playmaker (I say both positions, because he seemed to be all over the midfield). Obviously he bagged a couple goals, which is great against any opponent. But he kept the ball moving forwards; he didn't just play safe passes. Had a very solid game. When he was a bit younger, he seemed a little light-weight in midfield, but he held up pretty good to physical challenges. Very good game. Definitely can be a part of things moving forward.

Last edited:
I forgot to say anything about Djordje M. as our #10 / deep lying playmaker (I say both positions, because he seemed to be all over the midfield). Obviously he bagged a couple goals, which is great against any opponent. But he kept the ball moving forwards; he didn't just play safe passes. Had a very solid game. When he was a bit younger, he seemed a little light-weight in midfield, but he held up pretty good to physical challenges. Very good game. Definitely can be a part of things moving forward.
Just to bring up Olympics again. With Copa America also Summer 2024, USA will likely need two separate rosters. I'm hoping Djordje plays the #10 as an overage Olympic choice in a potential midfield with Tessmann, Busio, maybe even Johnny Cardoso (rumored interest from Real Betis).

I need to see him in a better league. He's past MLS and concacaf. Let's see him tested and just how high he can climb.

Yeah it's all fluff to date. That said putting goals in the back of the net consistently when given the opportunity is still a very good thing. Even if it's looking at him as the 3rd number 9 behind Balogun and Pepi.

I know the competition is weak , but I do think he is growing into his role on the USMNT . Let’s see when the level rises .

Trinidad is not St. Kitts. They're a decent team in our region, and beat us in 2017 in World Cup qualifying - y'know, the year we missed the WC.

I missed the early part of the game, but will watch later on tape delay (thank you, DVR).

Of what I saw, I thought that obviously Ferreira is stating his case. And he's not just banging in goals, he's combining with people really well, and he comes back to find the ball and be involved in play. Happy to see Vazquez get another goal, after fluffing that one chance when he came in.

Midfield, it didn't seem like Djordje M. had anywhere near the same impact this game. Alex Zendejas seemed to be getting involved, but committed quite a few fouls. I think he might have had an assist.

Gianluca Busio with another very solid game. He's very smooth with the ball. I thought Sands had another good game as the holding midfielder. Broke up play pretty well, circulated the ball well when I saw.

Bryan Reynolds is a unique proposition at RB. Big guy, holds the ball well under pressure, nifty feet, and can make a measured pass to somebody in the box. Not all nervous and hurried. Very nice player with a big future. I thought Yedlin was fine in relief again. Solid and dependable.

I really like what I am seeing from DeJuan Jones. Looking to me like he is solidifying his spot as Robinson's back up. He made some nice passes tonight, too. He knows where to look for the opportunity. He doesn't play overly conservative and always play it back to the center backs.

Turner with a couple nice saves. Miazga was out of position once or twice. They are still nursing Miles Robinson back to health for the knock out rounds, and now have a week until the next game. Neal with another pretty good game at the back.

Lots of guys stepping up. Twelve goals means that a LOT of guys have contributed, and feel like they are truly part of the team. Having a whole week of recovery and then training means a lot of time to teach new guys more aspects of our tactical approach. This will really help their chemistry, too.

I expect a very good effort next Sunday against our opponent (still TBD, I understand). I expect us to look even more cohesive than we looked tonight, which was really quite good.

Last edited:
Trinidad is not St. Kitts. They're a decent team in our region, and beat us in 2017 in World Cup qualifying - y'know, the year we missed the WC.
St Kitts advanced further in concacaf world cup qualifying last year,

they are equally bad teams

im thrilled with how Ferreira has looked. Just need to see it against the better teams

Cowell has potential as a sub. He's young so I would expect a roller coaster. He's ahead of Morris at the same stage. Mihalovic looked a level above everyone else tonight. Miazga drives me crazy with how awful some of his clearances still are.

Another electric game for Cowell off the bench. He's tremendous for about 30 minutes. This is the right role for him for the time being.

Another electric game for Cowell off the bench. He's tremendous for about 30 minutes. This is the right role for him for the time being.

Yep. He's already more promising in that role vs Concacaf squads than Morris ever was.

Yep. He's already more promising in that role vs Concacaf squads than Morris ever was.

Exactly what I was thinking - he's a better version of Jordan Morris. More upside at the same age, too. Morris was always going at 100 mph. Cowell is way more cool than Morris ever was. The way he checked back, rounded the goal keeper, faked the defender to the ground, and them calmly finished into the open net is something Jordan Morris has likely never done in his career. Morris either blasts it over, blasts it in, or carries it out of bounds.

Mexico seems more interested in being controversial and being punks on the pitch these days than playing good soccer.

Mexico seems more interested in being controversial and being punks on the pitch these days than playing good soccer.

They deserve some sort of CONCACAF ban if they keep acting like trailer trash.
If you don't think there's precedent; England was banned from Europe for years in the '80s because of hooligans creating violence abroad.

While I would expect to win these games… the curb stompings we are delivering are a whole another level. Very impressive regardless of opponent.

I hope when triple-g takes over the team continues with this free flowing play vs trying to always rely on the full backs to create opportunities.

I think it’s pretty telling that Yedlin and Morris have been glued to the bench. Let’s hope they remain so in the knockouts.

Ferrera has been great…. But he didn’t score against the one decent squad we shave faced. The first goal however was pure quality and it wasn’t due to the poor quality of the other team.

Vazquez is intriguing… two appearances two goals. Hope he gets more chances.

I don’t see anyone from this group of midfielders making it to the a-team. Zendejas is talented but can’t seem to connect with the other players… Mihalovic plays some great passes but doesn’t consistently seem to impact the game. Busio has potential but seems too light weight.

Reynolds, Neal and Jones are revelations. We are producing some great defensive talent.

Last edited:
While I would expect to win these games… the curb stompings we are delivering are a whole another level. Very impressive regardless of opponent.

I hope when triple-g takes over the team continues with this free flowing play vs trying to always rely on the full backs to create opportunities.

I think it’s pretty telling that Yedlin and Morris have been glued to the bench. Let’s hope they remain so in the knockouts.

Ferrera has been great…. But he didn’t score against the one decent squad we shave faced. The first goal however was pure quality and it wasn’t due to the poor quality of the other team.

Vazquez is intriguing… two appearances two goals. Hope he gets more chances.

I don’t see anyone from this group of midfielders making it to the a-team. Zendejas is talented but can’t seem to connect with the other players… Mihalovic plays some great passes but doesn’t consistently seem to impact the game. Busio has potential but seems too light weight.

Reynolds, Neal and Jones are revelations. We are producing some great defensive talent.

Busio will make the team, IMO. Might not be a starter, but he's a contributor.
I agree that Reynolds, Neal, Jones (and Ferreira) are the break-out stars so far.

USMNT v. TT - Decent game, great outcome, good atmosphere. Crowd get the old school wave going a few times but American fans are...lame.

Honduras v. Haiti - Game 2 last night was absolutely electric from the time final whistle blew in the USA game. It was an absolute next level experience. Haitian fans dancing down the isles after they scored. Honduran's going from elation to silence to frenzied. A concert-like phone lightshow at halftime. It was a totally different experience from the USA game. Both were fantastic to watch but the passion from both the Haitian and Honduran fan bases were absolutely on a different level. If that's anything close to what World Cup will be like then color me excited.

USMNT v. TT - Decent game, great outcome, good atmosphere. Crowd get the old school wave going a few times but American fans are...lame.

Honduras v. Haiti - Game 2 last night was absolutely electric from the time final whistle blew in the USA game. It was an absolute next level experience. Haitian fans dancing down the isles after they scored. Honduran's going from elation to silence to frenzied. A concert-like phone lightshow at halftime. It was a totally different experience from the USA game. Both were fantastic to watch but the passion from both the Haitian and Honduran fan bases were absolutely on a different level. If that's anything close to what World Cup will be like then color me excited.
Culture matters. USA soccer culture in my opinion is bland. Especially compared to the vibrant cultures of top teams.

Culture matters. USA soccer culture in my opinion is bland. Especially compared to the vibrant cultures of top teams.

It's growing slowly but its merely graduatef from being a step child to adopted by most national media outlets. Again more energy and hype every year but it's slow.

Pretty handy website I just found. When you think about the US player pool, and all the possibilities, well, this is a tracker for where people are playing, if they are still playing. This covers people who have appeared for USMNT within about the last 8 years or so. I think the idea is that all of the guys on this list have not retired, even though they may not have been called up for the last several years.

Pretty handy website I just found. When you think about the US player pool, and all the possibilities, well, this is a tracker for where people are playing, if they are still playing. This covers people who have appeared for USMNT within about the last 8 years or so. I think the idea is that all of the guys on this list have not retired, even though they may not have been called up for the last several years.

Alex Bono sighting!

USMNT - Upcoming Schedule & Television Coverage Information

How to watch USMNT​

TV channels in English: HBO Max, TNT
TV channels en Español: Universo, Telemundo Deportes
Streaming en Español: Peacock

USMNT upcoming schedule​

* Friendly | ** CONCACAF Nations League | *** 2022 World Cup | **** Gold Cup

vs. Serbia* -- Jan. 25, 10 pm ET -- Loss 2-1 | Recap & highlights
vs. Colombia* -- Jan. 28, 7:30 pm ET -- Draw 0-0 | Recap & highlights

at Grenada** -- March 24, 8 pm ET -- Won 7-1 | Recap & highlights + Player ratings
vs El Salvador** -- March 27, 7:30pm ET -- Won 1-0 | Recap & highlights
vs Mexico* -- April 19, 10:22pm ET -- Draw 1-1 | Recap & highlights

vs Mexico ** -- June 15, 10pm ET -- Won 3-0 | Recap & highlights
vs Canada** -- June 18, 8:30pm ET -- Won 2-0 | Recap & highlights

2023 Gold Cup from June 16 to July 19

vs Jamaica**** -- June 24, 9:30pm ET -- Drew 1-1
vs Saint Kitts and Nevis**** -- June 28, 9:30pm ET -- Won 6-0 | Recap & highlights
vs Trinidad and Tobago**** -- July 2, 7pm ET -- Won 6-0 | Recap & highlights
vs Canada**** — July 9, 7:30pm ET — TQL Stadium, Cincinnati, Ohio

September 2023

vs Uzbekistan* — September 9, 5:30pm ET — CITYPARK, St. Louis, Missouri
vs Oman* — September 12, 8:30pm ET — Allianz Field, Saint Paul, Minnesota

October 2023

vs Germany* -- October 14, 3pm ET -- Rentschler Field, East Hartford, CT
vs Ghana* -- October 17, 8:30pm ET -- GEODIS Park, Nashville, TN

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member