2024 New York Mets Thread | Syracusefan.com

2024 New York Mets Thread

Mets just signed Sean Manaea to a two year contract. They also added Adrian Houser and Luis Severino. I think that is probably a wrap for starting pitchers though some say they are considering signing Trevor Bauer.

Big drop from the starters they replace and Yamamoto, their top target this off season.

The offense looks to be more of the same with almost all the starters returning. They added Harrison Bader to shore up defense in CF. Guillorme got picked up by the Braves and we we added a bunch of decent depth pieces to the infield, outfield and catcher. Added a bunch of relief pitchers with undistinguished stats that add different looks to the bullpen.

Hard to imagine the team being significantly better but it is increasingly looking like the plan is to give the young prospects a chance to show what they can do to see if they will be part of the long term plan.

I am expecting a losing season but maybe watching some young players emerge as good MLB players. Maybe the coaching staff can coach this group up and get them to stay in playoff contention most of the season.

Mets just signed Sean Manaea to a two year contract. They also added Adrian Houser and Luis Severino. I think that is probably a wrap for starting pitchers though some say they are considering signing Trevor Bauer.

Big drop from the starters they replace and Yamamoto, their top target this off season.

The offense looks to be more of the same with almost all the starters returning. They added Harrison Bader to shore up defense in CF. Guillorme got picked up by the Braves and we we added a bunch of decent depth pieces to the infield, outfield and catcher. Added a bunch of relief pitchers with undistinguished stats that add different looks to the bullpen.

Hard to imagine the team being significantly better but it is increasingly looking like the plan is to give the young prospects a chance to show what they can do to see if they will be part of the long term plan.

I am expecting a losing season but maybe watching some young players emerge as good MLB players. Maybe the coaching staff can coach this group up and get them to stay in playoff contention most of the season.

I'll be happy if we can just play better quality baseball this year. By that I mean more patient hitting, more intelligent baserunning, more efficient defense, etc. That, by itself, should give us a winning record and keep us in playoff contention longer than last year. Building a team that could win a championship will depend on the young talent and deals to be made in the future.

Based on analytics, the Mets expected record last year was 80-82 - basically a .500 team. If they are only as good as last year, a winning record is possible. My only concern is if they are slightly outperforming expectations and could make the playoffs at the trade deadline - I’d rather not see them mortgage the future trading to try to make a one-shot postseason run next year. Issue in NY is a “win now” media will push for that.

I’m hoping 1983 is a good analogue for this season - a year to develop a bunch of young players leading to a long competitive run starting in 2025.

Based on analytics, the Mets expected record last year was 80-82 - basically a .500 team. If they are only as good as last year, a winning record is possible. My only concern is if they are slightly outperforming expectations and could make the playoffs at the trade deadline - I’d rather not see them mortgage the future trading to try to make a one-shot postseason run next year. Issue in NY is a “win now” media will push for that.

I’m hoping 1983 is a good analogue for this season - a year to develop a bunch of young players leading to a long competitive run starting in 2025.
I am reading now that they are interested in doing a reset for 2024 to get their 40 man roster payroll down to less than $237 million (something like that) by the end of the season.

That would make their crazy spending history and penalties go away so they could go all in on 2025 as a 'first time offender',

Looking to me as though this might be happening. The 40 man roster right now is around $300 million so to get down that dramatically is going to take some slashing.

A lot of the players they are signing have contracts that expire after 2024 and a bunch on the roster right now have contracts that expire at the end of 2024, including Alonso.

So it is definitely doable. Might require trading Pete, which is going to be controversial.

If he wants to stay with the Mets, I would recommend he have an Aaron Judge type walk year. That might work to everyone's benefit.

Not sure he has the discipline to do that but if anything is going to motivate him to stop chasing bad pitches and become a better player, it is money. Hope it works out.

Last edited:
From the Department of "I forgot I did this":

"They are back to being cheap"

Mets fan survey results: Disappointing season, quiet offseason lead to uncertainty

I think having a disappointing year with the highest payroll in the majors followed by a youth movement where they now have several outstanding prospects on or near the big league roster made Cohen and Stearns reluctant to bid for aging veterans or expensive stars. They are in a "let's see what we've got" mode.

Last edited:
Just found out the Mets missed out on Wandy Peralta, who somehow scored a 4 year deal with the Padres. Good for him.

Not good for the Mets. At least they re-signed Ottavino. I don't think they are going to sign a DH and while they will probably sign a relief pitcher, he is likely to be so obscure I have never heard of him.

Andy Martino floated a rumor the Mets might sign Brandon Woodruff. Brendan is a long time Milwaukee Brewer, which is of course where new Met GM David Stearns is from. He suffered a significant injury to his shoulder last year, the Brewers choose not to tender him an offer so he is a FA now. From all accounts he is unlikely to pitch in 2024 so if the Mets sign him, it would be for at least two years.

Shoulder injuries for pitchers are a big deal. Not many MLB pitchers fully recover from them (the prognosis for elbow injuries is much better). If anyone knows best what is going on, it is probably Stearns but I would be careful here. Maybe give him a two or three year contract with escalating dollars, with a low base and nice incentives if he can reach where he was before he got hurt?

On the positive side, there are some good young players in the farm system and a bunch of them are at the AA or AAA level. Should be a fun year for fans of the Syracuse Mets and Binghamton Rumble Ponies.

“But also, it was one of the best teaching moments I could ever have as a coach,” Wagner went on, “because I had to sit here and take that disappointment and show these kids, who were standing there looking at me, that you can’t run, you just can’t be upset. Sometimes you’ve just got to grin and bear it and move on. But by far and away, it was different than the years past.”

Last edited:
Mets add 2 relief pitchers. Roster looks pretty much set now. Look like some kids will get a chance to see what they can do at 3B and DH. By the end of the season, I would expect a couple more pitchers and position players will get called up and given a chance to show that they can do.

Most projections have them somewhere near or slightly above .500.

It looks like a couple major additions are likely for 2025.

"They are back to being cheap"

Mets fan survey results: Disappointing season, quiet offseason lead to uncertainty

I think having a disappointing year with the highest payroll in the majors followed by a youth movement where they now have several outstanding prospects on or near the big league roster made Cohen and Stearns reluctant to bid for aging veterans or expensive stars. They are in a "let's see what we've got" mode.

The original plan was to try to build up the farm system (which was not great) over a few years, and use big free agents to compete at the MLB level immediately. By trading guys and picking up big chunks of salary, they were able to get a boost of about 2-3 years on the farm system rebuild. A big part of the “let’s wait and see” is how the young prospects they acquired do this year - if they’re doing great I think the front office will show some patience if the NY Mets struggle. What will be more interesting is if they’re a couple games over .500 at the All-Star break - do they stay patient on rebuild or make moves to try to make the playoffs?

I’m honestly more interested in Syracuse and Binghamton games going into the start of the season - I’ll get interested in New York if we get to 5/1 and the team isn’t already DOA.

The original plan was to try to build up the farm system (which was not great) over a few years, and use big free agents to compete at the MLB level immediately. By trading guys and picking up big chunks of salary, they were able to get a boost of about 2-3 years on the farm system rebuild. A big part of the “let’s wait and see” is how the young prospects they acquired do this year - if they’re doing great I think the front office will show some patience if the NY Mets struggle. What will be more interesting is if they’re a couple games over .500 at the All-Star break - do they stay patient on rebuild or make moves to try to make the playoffs?

I’m honestly more interested in Syracuse and Binghamton games going into the start of the season - I’ll get interested in New York if we get to 5/1 and the team isn’t already DOA.
It was recently reported that the Mets have reserved $10 million in extra salary for deals at the trade deadline.

That assumes they will still be in contention ton at that point. Fingers crossed.

Agree it appears there will be a bunch of future MLB players playing for the Mets this summer in upstate NY.

One thing I am interested in watching is 3B. I’d expected Baty would at least be replacement level as his floor in MLB, but last year was a disaster. He may actually be a “4A” guy who will rake in Syracuse but can’t make the leap up. With Mauricio’s ACL injury, I think the Mets are going to look at the first two months of the season to see if Baty can be the long term third baseman - if not they’ll at least know they need to move on to plan B quickly that position.

I saw Baty a few times in Bingo, he was a visibly confident player. Watching him on the Mets last year, by June he looked lost and tentative. Hopefully the offseason gave him a mental reset, and the issues last year were more mental than lack of skill - him not panning out would add a hole to an organization that already has a whole bunch they need to fill.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom