Lily Gladstone, Killers of the Flower Moon
Paul Giamatti, The Holdovers
Da’Vine Joy Randolph, The Holdovers
Robert Downey Jr., Oppenheimer

cinematography Killers of the Flower Moon
editing Oppenheimer
sound Oppenheimer . holey moley it was loud
special effects Mission: Impossible — Dead Reckoning Part One

I wasn’t impressed by Lily Gladstone’s performance. The role itself was probably written to get an Oscar, and maybe she played it the way it was intended, but it was remarkably meh, imo.

A lot of controversy over the fact that Gerwig wasn't nominated for Best Director, nor Margot Robbie for Actress. And the flak is that this just proves the Barbie movie theme.

I gotta say... that's ridiculous.

The film had 'interesting' design and direction, but it certainly wasn't novel. Wasn't much different or better than a Flintstones movie from decades ago. I didn't like the film and only got 75% through it before i got fed up with the whining about sexism. Margot is awesome in everything she does, but this didn't seem like a role that taxed her in any way. She was far better (x1000) in Babylon, and didn't get a nom for that.

Barbie was a cartoonish film with primitive themes. I can understand its popularity, but not the hype, much less the opinion that it's a groundbreaking, important film. And if you add the director and the actress to the nominations, they have to knock two people out. Which two were less deserving?

A lot of controversy over the fact that Gerwig wasn't nominated for Best Director, nor Margot Robbie for Actress. And the flak is that this just proves the Barbie movie theme.

The film had 'interesting' design and direction, but it certainly wasn't novel. Wasn't much different or better than a Flintstones movie from decades ago. I didn't like the film and only got 75% through it before i got fed up with the whining about sexism. Margot is awesome in everything she does, but this didn't seem like a role that taxed her in any way. She was far better (x1000) in Babylon, and didn't get a nom for that.

Barbie was a cartoonish film with primitive themes. I can understand its popularity, but not the hype, much less the opinion that it's a groundbreaking, important film. And if you add the director and the actress to the nominations, they have to knock two people out. Which two were less deserving?

Scorsese put out one of the worst movies of his career. Took good source material, stripped it of any passion and beat it to death with monotony. Gerwig getting a nom over him would have made sense.

You forgot the part about Ryan Gosling getting nominated. The two snubs plus his nomination are what proves the theme.

The movie was also nominated for Best Picture and Best Screenplay. While you’re welcome to your opinion, it’s clear the Academy found it worthy of some consideration.

You pose a good question, though. Who gets knocked out in favor of Gerwig and Robbie? I haven’t seen all of the nominated films yet, so I can’t answer.

You forgot the part about Ryan Gosling getting nominated. The two snubs plus his nomination are what proves the theme.

The movie was also nominated for Best Picture and Best Screenplay. While you’re welcome to your opinion, it’s clear the Academy found it worthy of some consideration.

You pose a good question, though. Who gets knocked out in favor of Gerwig and Robbie? I haven’t seen all of the nominated films yet, so I can’t answer.
Yeah, the Gosling nom sorta plays into the story, but whether or not he should have been included depends on the depth of the competition on his side and that’s unrelated to the competition on the women’s side.

I don’t think I said the film wasn’t worthy of consideration. Just that I didn’t like it. i also thought Oppenheimer was overrated, but I have seen none of the other films. In general, the releases over the past few years have been disappointing/unspectacular.

Scorsese put out one of the worst movies of his career. Took good source material, stripped it of any passion and beat it to death with monotony. Gerwig getting a nom over him would have made sense.
That was one of the arguments I read: it wasn’t even in Scorcese’s own top ten, but if he made a hundred amazing movies and this one was number 49, that doesn’t mean it wasn’t excellent. Just debating that particular logic, not the assessment of this movie. I guess I’ll watch it this weekend. I just don’t have any interest in it.…

My ranking of best picture noms:
The Holdovers
Past Lives
Oppenheimer
Poor Things
Barbie
Killers of the Flower Moon
Anatomy of a Fall

Still to see: American Fiction, Maestro, Zone of Interest

That was one of the arguments I read: it wasn’t even in Scorcese’s own top ten, but if he made a hundred amazing movies and this one was number 49, that doesn’t mean it wasn’t excellent. Just debating that particular logic, not the assessment of this movie. I guess I’ll watch it this weekend. I just don’t have any interest in it.…
Should read the book instead. Everyone always says books are better than movies but this one is significantly better.

It was 3 hours, or whatever, that I wish I had back.

It was 3 hours, or whatever, that I wish I had back.
They did it more like the book and then reversed course because they decided the version from the indian side told a better story than the side of the book from the white side.

Given its like 100 yrs ago and the Indian story is dying out it may well be less interesting but more significant doing it that way. Lots of effort in getting visuals of the Indian way of life and dress into the story.

They did it more like the book and then reversed course because they decided the version from the indian side told a better story than the side of the book from the white side.

Given its like 100 yrs ago and the Indian story is dying out it may well be less interesting but more significant doing it that way. Lots of effort in getting visuals of the Indian way of life and dress into the story.

That could have worked if they gave the Indian characters any depth at all. I’ve seen PBS documentaries with more character development.

Bill Maher (who I don’t like) said this about Barbie (which I do agree with):

"I don't know why this is such a giant controversy now," he said. "I mean, best actress. That's the category, you know, she [Robbie] lost to other actresses. It's not like they gave her slot to Vin Diesel. Is this really the patriarchy?"

"I googled what the Mattel board really was. In the movie it's 12 men, in real life it's seven men and five women, so they were caught lying in their own movie," he said. "I remember I saw it [the movie] in the theater and I liked it, it's entertaining, but at one point, the Barbies have to like, win back the Kens and they do it by acting helpless. And the woman I was with said, 'I don't know any woman today who would do that.'"

Bill Maher (who I don’t like) said this about Barbie (which I do agree with):

"I don't know why this is such a giant controversy now," he said. "I mean, best actress. That's the category, you know, she [Robbie] lost to other actresses. It's not like they gave her slot to Vin Diesel. Is this really the patriarchy?"

"I googled what the Mattel board really was. In the movie it's 12 men, in real life it's seven men and five women, so they were caught lying in their own movie," he said. "I remember I saw it [the movie] in the theater and I liked it, it's entertaining, but at one point, the Barbies have to like, win back the Kens and they do it by acting helpless. And the woman I was with said, 'I don't know any woman today who would do that.'"
My wife thought the movie wasn’t great but that the Ken character saved the movie from being bad.

We finally watched Anatomy of a Fall. Of the Oscar films I have seen so far, I’ll go with:

1. Anatomy of a Fall
2. Maestro
3. The Holdovers

4. Killers of the Flower Moon
5. Barbie

I am hoping to see all of the others soon.

Saw Poor Things tonight. It was an imaginative and thoughtful film. Mark Ruffalo is spit take funny and Emma Stone definitely deserved her nomination. Can't imagine anyone else who could be so fearless in that role.

Of the six I've seen so far -
1) Oppenheimer
2) The Holdovers
3) Poor Things
4) Maestro
5) Barbie
6) Killers of the Flower Moon

Now that I’ve seen KOTFM, I’ll co-sign. That movie has no business being 3 1/2 hours long.

We finally watched Anatomy of a Fall. Of the Oscar films I have seen so far, I’ll go with:

1. Anatomy of a Fall
2. Maestro
3. The Holdovers

4. Killers of the Flower Moon
5. Barbie

I am hoping to see all of the others soon.
Just saw Past Lives. I will move it to the top of the list.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom