2024 - Portal Tracker | Page 65 | Syracusefan.com

2024 - Portal Tracker

We don’t disagree about what we want. I’m just surprised you seem to be insisting that Autry had complete control over who was recruited/signed when he was an assistant. I include JJ in that category.

Either way—I think JJ is/will be a better shooter than he showed in his first year and a half with us. He turned a corner during this past season and I expect that funky release will be fixed even more in this offseason. I have high hopes and expectations for Choppa. I think he’s a natural shooter. I think Freeman is going to be a better shooter than Benny was. And Wesley is a playmaker—I’m not concerned with where he scores from. Bell will be Bell. I think if he improves it will be counteracted by increased attention, but maybe he’ll be more consistent?

I’m expecting that Red will have to install a better, more flow-oriented system, less iso-dependent, and the offense will benefit from the motion. That’s why I’m beginning to be less concerned about having a high assist guy at PG, and more interested in just improving the assist numbers from every player, to result in higher totals, spreading the duties around. Just glad to be done with Judah’s offense.
How about this, Red hasn’t seemed to land a shooter with deep range out of any of the recruits he’s brought in as a head coach so far. The recruits he’s brought in seem to be average to below average shooters.

How about this, Red hasn’t seemed to land a shooter with deep range out of any of the recruits he’s brought in as a head coach so far. The recruits he’s brought in seem to be average to below average shooters.
But you see who he is pursuing right? Reynolds, Laffew, Evans. It seems crystal clear that he’s pursuing this skill. Your post about Red not valuing shooting is just wrong. He also has made Bell a centerpiece of next year’s plans.

Probably the guy who averaged 6 assists a game.
I know who the point guard was. My point was that the point guard doesn’t dominate the ball in their offense.

I guess I missed something where Red wasn't involved in getting Elijah Moore to commit? You think he didn't have to re-recruit him?

But you see who he is pursuing right? Reynolds, Laffew, Evans. It seems crystal clear that he’s pursuing this skill. Your post about Red not valuing shooting is just wrong. He also has made Bell a centerpiece of next year’s plans.
He’s been more than willing to add guys to the roster that are below average shooters in their respective positions, which is why I want him to add better shooting. If he gets Evans it’s a step in the right direction. We need at least 2 or 3 guys on the roster that can shoot 40%+ from 3.

He’s been more than willing to add guys to the roster that are below average shooters in their respective positions, which is why I want him to add better shooting. If he gets Evans it’s a step in the right direction. We need at least 2 or 3 guys on the roster that can shoot 40%+ from 3.

How many high level D1 squads have three guys who shoot over 40% from three? I am honestly curious, I'd love to have three such guys especially at various positions. I am more so wondering about how realistic that is. Can't be that many teams with three guys all 40%+ shooting at good volume.

thats crazy - UCONN had 1 guy over 40 pct - they did ok.

How many high level D1 squads have three guys who shoot over 40% from three? I am honestly curious, I'd love to have three such guys especially at various positions. I am more so wondering about how realistic that is. Can't be that many teams with three guys all 40%+ shooting at good volume.
I agree, there probably aren't a ton of teams with 3 guys shooting over 40% from 3 and at a high volume. The Cuse team from a couple years ago was thought to be a good 3 pt shooting team but only two were above 40% (Swider and Girrard).

One team I can think of that had serval guys above 40% was the 2018 Nova Championship team. Had 4 or 5 players above 40%.

I agree, there probably aren't a ton of teams with 3 guys shooting over 40% from 3 and at a high volume. The Cuse team from a couple years ago was thought to be a good 3 pt shooting team but only two were above 40% (Swider and Girrard).

One team I can think of that had serval guys above 40% was the 2018 Nova Championship team. Had 4 or 5 players above 40%.

Right, every team wants to have that. Saying it is easy, actually finding those guys and keeping them on the same team is very hard.

For SU Bell is going to be your 40%+ guy after that you are looking for 2 guys that are 36-38%. Anyone else who can crack 32% is a bonus who keeps defenses honest. I think JJ based on the last 2/3rd's of the season will shoot 36% or better. So I would like to add another guard who is a proven 36%+ shooter. After that Carlos and Freeman are capable of low 30's and may surprise.

Last edited:
Purdue led the country in 3 point shooting. They had 3 guys over 40%. Other than that I can't think of anyone.

That’s good, but big men and foot issues are never good.
Exactly, which is why nobody should have any expectations for him going forward. Or at the very least, the roster should be planned with no expectations for him. If we go into next year with Lampkin and McLeod as our only bigs, we're asking for trouble...yet again.

Once Yao Ming developed the stress fracture and had surgery on his foot, it was a wrap for him. I just fear McLeod having similar issues due to his size. The team just can't plan that all will be well with him going forward, not even mentioning his ability.

Our awesome 2010 "Shut it Down" squad had 3 guys at/over 40%.
Wes, Andy, RoboTriche.

With Scoop chipping in at 39% (38.9 for the pedants out there)

Oh, and Mookie shot 44.6% too!

/ pours another one out for AO's knee, and the Natty that never was.

Purdue led the country in 3 point shooting. They had 3 guys over 40%. Other than that I can't think of anyone.

Lots of open shots off of Edey's post play and a multitude of capable shooters. Hopefully we can get some of those off of Lampkin's post play this year and boost our percentage. I suppose there is a team or maybe two each season that has 3 guys.

I hope Red has spent no time pursuing Reynolds as he never entered the portal and recently declared that he is not going to enter the portal and return to St Joe's where they should be a strong contender as Dayton is getting crushed by the portal. If Reynold's were to enter the portal, I doubt we could afford him.

We need more than just Moore
just to be clear, this is what you wrote "It would’ve been really cool to get a dead eye shooter with deep range but it seems Red doesn’t like those types of players. He seems to prefer guards that can’t shoot."

So he re-recruited Moore, made Bell the top priority of existing players and is actively going after guards that specifically have this skill set, yet "Red doesn't like these types of players."

I swear some of our fans are creating impossible metrics for Red to hit in roster construction because they are still salty about the way JB went out.

I hope Red has spent no time pursuing Reynolds as he never entered the portal and recently declared that he is not going to enter the portal and return to St Joe's where they should be a strong contender as Dayton is getting crushed by the portal. If Reynold's were to enter the portal, I doubt we could afford him.
The point is that we had interest in him through back channels. Clearly he has the skill set that we are seeking - namely shooting.

Lots of open shots off of Edey's post play and a multitude of capable shooters. Hopefully we can get some of those off of Lampkin's post play this year and boost our percentage. I suppose there is a team or maybe two each season that has 3 guys.
Yeah, was going to say, the Purdue guys are certainly good shooters, but having Eddy likely correlates positively to good shooters getting good perimeter shots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom