2024 - Portal Tracker | Page 34 | Syracusefan.com

2024 - Portal Tracker

I am going to give some leeway on last season’s stats. Ready between the lines, SU was a fractured team. It’s hard to play team defense when you don’t trust/like the guy who is supposed to have your back.

I hope you're right. I think he'll be sneaky good.
Ha. "Sneaky good" is the exact same thought I had the first time I watched Leffew's tapes. It's all the subtle skills he has on top the more obvious ones. He is able to create, pass, handle, and finish with either hand and seems to just have "it" when it comes to court awareness. When was the last time we had a guard with that skill set? Kadary, who I loved, is one answer. Leffew seems to have a better motor and is a better shooter.

IF Leffew is the add, next season people will be talking about his ability to shoot step back 3s. Mark it down. It jumps off the tape to me. This kid is sneaky good in a lot of ways. I'm not surprised at all at the high major interest. I'd be thrilled with taking a chance on this kid at the point.

Ha. "Sneaky good" is the exact same thought I had the first time I watched Leffew's tapes. It's all the subtle skills he has on top the more obvious ones. He is able to create, pass, handle, and finish with either hand and seems to just have "it" when it comes to court awareness. When was the last time we had a guard with that skill set? Kadary, who I loved, is one answer. Leffew seems to have a better motor and is a better shooter.

IF Leffew is the add, next season people will be talking about his ability to shoot step back 3s. Mark it down. It jumps off the tape to me. This kid is sneaky good in a lot of ways. I'm not surprised at all at the high major interest. I'd be thrilled with taking a chance on this kid at the point.
Yeah, if the starting lineup goes Leffew/Starling/Bell/Freeman/Lampkin, it relies a lot on Freeman being ready to go, but that's a solid starting lineup (I know, I know, people will freak out about how that looks on the defensive end, I get it). Assumeling some improvement from Bell and Starling doesn't seem crazy.

You can envision a solid bench. If Davis comes, he's the main forward off the bench, if not we do need to find an answer there. One of McCleod or Patterson needs to give viable backup 5 minutes, doesn't seem impossible. I don't think it's a stretch that some decent guard minutes can come from Westry/Cuffe/Choppa. Maybe we find some other depth transfers. If Gayle comes too we'd really be cooking.

If things don't happen with Leffew and Gayle is the guy I think he helps but not as much where we need. Leffew I think solves a lot of problems.

Can he? Sure. Should he? No.

I think we all need to start coming to grips with the fact our PG position won’t be great and won’t fix the inherent issues with the lineup Red’s building.
I think you'll see a lot of two man game with Bell on the wing/corner with Lampkin posting up. Lampkin takes his guy 1 on 1, and if the double comes Bell's open for the three.

I think you'll see a lot of two man game with Bell on the wing/corner with Lampkin posting up. Lampkin takes his guy 1 on 1, and if the double comes Bell's open for the three.

Will believe that when I see it. If you’re relying on that, we’re toast.

Trevor Cooney, Buddy Boeheim, and Tyus Battle averaged more assists in seasons than JJ ever has. Anything to do with him at the point is absolutely insanely stupid IMO.
JJ was also passing to a point guard who couldn’t shoot. If he plays along a guard and freeman who can shoot, his assists will go up. He wasn’t getting an assist passing to Taylor, Mintz or Brown. None of them could shoot.

JJ was also passing to a point guard who couldn’t shoot. If he plays along a guard and freeman who can shoot, his assists will go up. He wasn’t getting an assist passing to Taylor, Mintz or Brown. None of them could shoot.
Hardly had any assists the year before at Notre Dame too. Do you ever remember him going to the basket and dumping it off or kicking it out?

The “it’s everyone else’s fault” defense. That’s what we’re pinning our hopes to?

Listen. I like Bells upside. Truly, I do. Not lying.

But him and a two man game with Lampkin? Not happening.
I think these kind of debates are meaningless, at least until we see how the lineup(s) shake out.

If we feature Lampkin in the post (we will), the best use of Bell will be on the opposite wing not in a strong side 2 man game. The strong side wing will need to be both a shooting and dribble penetration threat, and able/willing to re-feed the post based on how the D reacts.

The most difficult position to defend when you have a legitimate interior scoring threat is a shooter away (meaning on the weak side). Bell is perfect for that spot.

Hardly had any assists the year before at Notre Dame too. Do you ever remember him going to the basket and dumping it off or kicking it out?
Once. He dropped it off to Copeland for a dunk at NCS. It’s definitely not his strength.

Yeah, if the starting lineup goes Leffew/Starling/Bell/Freeman/Lampkin, it relies a lot on Freeman being ready to go, but that's a solid starting lineup (I know, I know, people will freak out about how that looks on the defensive end, I get it). Assumeling some improvement from Bell and Starling doesn't seem crazy.

You can envision a solid bench. If Davis comes, he's the main forward off the bench, if not we do need to find an answer there. One of McCleod or Patterson needs to give viable backup 5 minutes, doesn't seem impossible. I don't think it's a stretch that some decent guard minutes can come from Westry/Cuffe/Choppa. Maybe we find some other depth transfers. If Gayle comes too we'd really be cooking.

If things don't happen with Leffew and Gayle is the guy I think he helps but not as much where we need. Leffew I think solves a lot of problems.
I'm sure I'm on a small island here, but I think the who starts debate is overblown. We've already seen Red not start players like Q and Maliq.

It’s a nightmare lineup.

I’m all about the analytics but I’ve watched more of Leffews games than I care to admit since his recruitment has heated up and I don’t get it. On tape his defense looks far better than JJs. I am going with when you start doing this stuff with smaller school kids the quality of the data collection isn’t top notch either. The things we saw from JJ that match up to bad defensive numbers makes sense tape to data. Leffews tape doesn’t matchup with his metrics defensively.