2024 Success in Major Jeopardy | Syracusefan.com

2024 Success in Major Jeopardy

Orijinal

All Conference
After watching the Spring Game, I think we all understand that if Kyle McCord gets injured the team is in major trouble

Fran Brown absolutely must have a solid Plan B if Kyle goes down

Either develop the QB's that are already there or get a transfer that can play, because right now the whole season is screwed if McCord goes down. And we all know that the starting Syracuse QB always gets hurt

Attention Fran Brown: Don't let your season get derailed

I don’t think we need to worry about Coach Fran and this issue. Any guy who is so detail oriented he comments about the band and cheer squad not being at the Quad Walk is well aware of what talent we have and what we need.

That said, if there’s a QB in the portal who he thinks can help this team win Coach Fran will do what he can to get him. If he doesn’t get what he wants it won’t be because he didn’t try. (Most quality QBs are not going to want to sit behind McCord and wait for an injury).

Coach Fran is the epitome of DART. I saw him and several coaches early this morning at the hotel meeting with recruits* and their parents. These guys are grinders. I appreciate them!

* A couple of huge dudes. Not big dudes. Two of these guys were HUGE.

Last edited:
After watching the Spring Game, I think we all understand that if Kyle McCord gets injured the team is in major trouble

Either develop the QB's that are already there or get a transfer that can play, because right now the whole season is screwed if McCord goes down. And we all know that the starting Syracuse QB always gets hurt

That’s the same situation ~120 schools are in every year. If it was easy to have a high level backup, starters wouldn’t be as coveted

Need to find a Soph/Junior transfer QB that will be willing to be a backup for a year and have a shot at starting next year. Either that or have strong conviction that Williams will be ready to play as a backup this year as a true frosh.

his hand are sort of tied on the plan B no ?

I sort of liked what I saw from Wilson, and we have another QB entering in August, but at this stage we have to play the cards we're dealt.

Any guy who is so detail oriented he comments about the band and cheer squad not being at the Quad Walk is well aware of what talent we have and what we need.
Did he really make a comment about this!? That is so great! Unfortunately for Coach Fran, it seems there have not been a lot of people empowered to make such decisions or take on these initiatives. He will need to find a leader who can co-create and focus on a vision for the game-day experience. Not sure if that’s the “GM” role, or something else, but he has a vision for that too and needs someone to share it and run with it. No more sitting on our hands!

Need to find a Soph/Junior transfer QB that will be willing to be a backup for a year and have a shot at starting next year. Either that or have strong conviction that Williams will be ready to play as a backup this year as a true frosh.
Tad Hudson. That's who I'd go after.

his hand are sort of tied on the plan B no ?

I sort of liked what I saw from Wilson, and we have another QB entering in August, but at this stage we have to play the cards we're dealt.
If we lose McCord we go from an A Qb to, at best, a low C.

Is there a "B" guy out there who would allow us to run at least a reasonable facsimile of the McCord.offense?

I'd look at Tad Hudson

If we lose McCord we go from an A Qb to, at best, a low C.

Is there a "B" guy out there who would allow us to run at least a reasonable facsimile of the McCord.offense?

I'd look at Tad Hudson

What makes that kid better than Jakhari?

Furthermore, how do you know Jakhari can't run the "McCord offense"?

What makes that kid better than Jakhari?

Furthermore, how do you know Jakhari can't run the "McCord offense"?

He may. But as we learned last year, more options are always better. I am almost certain that if we have to turn to cdrw our offense is going to be sunk. I'd like to have multiple.layers of insurance if it's possible.

He may. But as we learned last year, more options are always better. I am almost certain that if we have to turn to cdrw our offense is going to be sunk. I'd like to have multiple.layers of insurance if it's possible.
If he wasn't a HS 4 star you wouldn't have even brought this name up. There's hundreds of kids like this in the portal.

CDRW and Braden Davis were 4 stars in HS too.

There’s a unique insight.

Almost any team that loses its first team qb is screwed P4 or NFL

If he wasn't a HS 4 star you wouldn't have even brought this name up. There's hundreds of kids like this in the portal.

CDRW and Braden Davis were 4 stars in HS too.

There aren't hundreds of qbs right now. Winter yes. Slimmer now

Not sure what you mean, CDRW looked great in person. Everyone around me thought the same.

I thought that CDRW looked ok same with Davis who actually looked the best of the two his last stint on the field Saturday. The true frosh is super talented and might surprise this fall. I agree we need to keep QB 1 healthy. I think if we run the ball and get the ball out quickly he should be fine. I would tell him to basically never run unless he knows he can get down safely.

Some of them even get their undefeated team thrown out of the playoffs then lose a NY6 bowl game by a hundred points.
Yeah I mean, if they lose McCord in September the season will be derailed, in November after the freshman QB has been here since June/ July maybe he can keep the season together or maybe a healthy CDRW. It's much easier to keep a QB healthy who isn't running the football 15-20 times a game as well.

I am just not sure what viable option at QB would be dying to come in as a back up for a shot next year? Don't know I guess.

Well, crap. No point in playing now... and I was just getting excited. :(

I thought that CDRW looked ok same with Davis who actually looked the best of the two his last stint on the field Saturday. The true frosh is super talented and might surprise this fall. I agree we need to keep QB 1 healthy. I think if we run the ball and get the ball out quickly he should be fine. I would tell him to basically never run unless he knows he can get down safely.
Not sure what you mean, CDRW looked great in person. Everyone around me thought the same.
I thought CDRW looked way better than he has but he also showed his warts - decision making. He wants to run at times he really shouldn’t. The staff knows he has a lot of talent - they need to get him to better harness it and play with composure. He’s definitely the backup.

I’d be shocked if Braden is still in the QB room come fall.

I am just not sure what viable option at QB would be dying to come in as a back up for a shot next year? Don't know I guess.

There are no great options. You probably have to look for a QB going into his 2nd season but lost a spring battle to a non-senior. They'd have to be comfortable that they'd walk into a backup job and would have a leg up to start in 2025.

I'm sure the staff is hunting for this unicorn as the spring portal season begins.

As someone said, right now we're going from an A to a C. Would be nice to find at least a B- out there. Could be Jakhari, but a true freshman who wasn't here for the spring is a long shot to get there in year 1.

David, I think you are a great dude (based on some of your posts on here) and I generally agree with everything you say.

I gotta tell ya, I did not think CDRW looked great. I think he maybe has improved a little from last year, but right now I don't think it's enough if he has to be called on to start.

I don't care if CDRW is the clear backup. That's fine; I have nothing against the kid. I absolutely believe he has potential, but Nunzio and company better maximize it if he is the next one up come fall, otherwise I have serious doubts about Syracuse's ability to maintain a win total if McCord goes down

David, I think you are a great dude (based on some of your posts on here) and I generally agree with everything you say.

I gotta tell ya, I did not think CDRW looked great. I think he maybe has improved a little from last year, but right now I don't think it's enough if he has to be called on to start.

I don't care if CDRW is the clear backup. That's fine; I have nothing against the kid. I absolutely believe he has potential, but Nunzio and company better maximize it if he is the next one up come fall, otherwise I have serious doubts about Syracuse's ability to maintain a win total if McCord goes down
I appreciate the kind words, sincerely. I'll take another look when I see it on the TV again.

For people who watched the game on TV they probably got a better idea of the bad decision making by CDRW near the goal line when in consecutive plays he had a bad decision to not hand the ball off and lost 5 yards and then had the play clock expire on him. Those are very costly errors.

There were probably a couple times he tucks and runs it and maybe should have moved around another second and thrown it. He also would have took a would be sack in a real game but the rusher let up on him because it was a scrimmage.

But to be fair to CDRW he pretty much only had Hatcher out there to throw to with any experience. The only other guys i remember out there were Cahoon, Haile and some kid who i am guessing was a small walk on WR that caught one or two. And the line collapsed on him a bit more than the first string OL did on McCord.

But I'm all for a transfer but it has to be the right player for the situation which could be difficult. But if the staff decides that Davis has no future at QB, they may at the very least decide to bring in a young back-up who may not have a great shot to play much now but is more for the future and can be an additional arm and better depth option than Davis is now.

For people who watched the game on TV they probably got a better idea of the bad decision making by CDRW near the goal line when in consecutive plays he had a bad decision to not hand the ball off and lost 5 yards and then had the play clock expire on him. Those are very costly errors.

There were probably a couple times he tucks and runs it and maybe should have moved around another second and thrown it. He also would have took a would be sack in a real game but the rusher let up on him because it was a scrimmage.

But to be fair to CDRW he pretty much only had Hatcher out there to throw to with any experience. The only other guys i remember out there were Cahoon, Haile and some kid who i am guessing was a small walk on WR that caught one or two. And the line collapsed on him a bit more than the first string OL did on McCord.

But I'm all for a transfer but it has to be the right player for the situation which could be difficult. But if the staff decides that Davis has no future at QB, they may at the very least decide to bring in a young back-up who may not have a great shot to play much now but is more for the future and can be an additional arm and better depth option than Davis is now.
Yes. These were the very things I saw

And those things, when taken together, would cost us games

Some of them even get their undefeated team thrown out of the playoffs then lose a NY6 bowl game by a hundred points.
That was their 3rd QB tbf. Same point though. With portal, there's no need to be a talented 2nd team QB when you can be a starter elsewhere