2024 WR Depth | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2024 WR Depth

I like our old WRs fine, but Ross is a composite four star receiver. He is almost certainly better than the other WRs on our team. He might not start, but he’s going to play. Same goes with the Georgia transfers. They were rated higher—as transfers—than any of the WRs on our team. I think they are playing WR. I think the WRs on our team last year will play rotational roles or on specials.

I gotta think Alford is going to play situationally. He wasn’t consistent enough to be in on every down.
Just because Ross was a 4 star coming in doesn’t mean he will surely be better. These guys have been in college for several years and weren’t exactly untalented when we signed them. That experience matters. But if he beats them out as a true frosh then great. I actually think Thomas looks pretty fantastic. Just not sure how many snaps there will be for a small slot WR this year and Brown likely has a leg up there. Lost lots of time late in the season due to the scheme change where we were looking for bigger blocking WR’s. And Peña is back so…

Last edited:
Anae said he had the best spring of all the receivers in 2022. I assume that excludes OG as he was probably considering him a TE. But he got injured and missed that entire season. Then in 2023 he was the most productive receiver we had the first two games and then got hurt again. Jones didn’t have super production due to injury but I think he may have been the most talented of our group of WR’s. Unfortunately we never got to see much of him in Orange.
If you can't stay on the field you aren't valuable to any team. It's the people who go out every day and play who make a team good or bad.

If we’re healthy, we should be fine. If we’re not, we’ll struggle. We’ve seen it a million times.

Losing OG the way we did was incredibly bad luck. I was hopeful on Jones, but he really never did much, always seemed to be banged up. Alford has at least made plays and stayed healthy. He could thrive if he’s the 3rd option.
So this is the thing that's crazy to me - in his first year with playing time as a younger player (which should mean there's more growth potential), Hatcher had 1 less catch and 100 fewer yards than Alford, same TDs, and proved himself as a really good blocking receiver, something Alford is lauded for... and yet people talk a lot more about Alford who did the senior walk than Hatcher.

It bottles the mind.

Just because Ross was a 4 star coming in doesn’t mean he will surely be better. These guys have been in college for several years and weren’t exactly untalented when we signed them. That matters. But if he beers them out as a true frosh then great. I actually think Thomas looks pretty fantastic. Just not sure how many snaps there will be for a small slot WR this year and Brown likely has a leg up there. Lost lots of time late in the season due to the scheme change where we were looking for bigger blocking WR’s. And Peña is back so…
I really don’t want to dog on our wide receivers from last year. They tried, and got a lot of exercise, fresh air, and built friendships that will last a lifetime. They were, at best, fine. Ross is a freshman, so he likely won’t start. He is going to play though. He simply looks more talented than our present wide receivers.

So this is the thing that's crazy to me - in his first year with playing time as a younger player (which should mean there's more growth potential), Hatcher had 1 less catch and 100 fewer yards than Alford, same TDs, and proved himself as a really good blocking receiver, something Alford is lauded for... and yet people talk a lot more about Alford who did the senior walk than Hatcher.

It bottles the mind.

I like Hatcher a lot, I was just replying to the post. Hope he continues to get better this year.

I think the new staff knew coming in there had to be changes along the defensive line...they might need spring ball to see if it's a talent or coaching issue on the oline

Spring ball is going to be an opportunity for players to show what they can do in whatever offensive system the coaches install. It’s also going to a chance for the coaches to showcase what they’re trying to do on offense in order to see if they/we can attract more talent from the spring portal (April 15 - 30).

Players who don’t perform well this spring could get “the talk” from coaches.

It bottles the mind.
Pop the top

Hatcher grew up a ton as the season went on. If he could add another 10-15 lbs he can be something.

Agreed. Same goes for Gill who showed a lot of ability for a true freshman. If he these kids can develop their bodies further they could be really productive.

Players develop at different rates. An occasional few come in and are productive real early. Some need a couple years and some aren’t even productive until their last year or two. Some need to learn technique and how to run routes, some need to gain confidence, some need to get stronger and more physical. You can’t just write all receivers off because they haven’t exploded yet.

Last edited:
I like our old WRs fine, but Ross is a composite four star receiver. He is almost certainly better than the other WRs on our team. He might not start, but he’s going to play. Same goes with the Georgia transfers. They were rated higher—as transfers—than any of the WRs on our team. I think they are playing WR. I think the WRs on our team last year will play rotational roles or on specials.

I gotta think Alford is going to play situationally. He wasn’t consistent enough to be in on every down.
We didnt throw him the ball to be consistent.

It bottles the mind.
i love hatcher. tough kid and great blocker. he just is like alford who if your qb cant throw u open then u aint great.

Well one of Alford, Hatcher, Brown, Pena, Gill, Long or Cohoon was rumored to be considered for a switch to DB so still curious which one of them it is.

Well one of Alford, Hatcher, Brown, Pena, Gill, Long or Cohoon was rumored to be considered for a switch to DB so still curious which one of them it is.

My guess is Brown.
I’ve heard it was Gill. But not from anyone close to the team.
I am curious to see which of the seven wideouts leave. Meeks and Haynes aren’t coming to sit. Fran has mentioned that Meeks is coming to show these guys what work looks like. UGA fans seem to believe Haynes was going to be a contributor for them. Think about that for a second. Additionally the freshman are supposed to be very talented.
IMO at least of few of the returning seven are going to be in the portal after spring practice.

Last edited:
We have talent. Shrader couldn't hit the broad side of a barn last year with his surgery and injuries. He didn't pull or couldn't pull the trigger on multiple opportunities. Next season is going to be an eye opener.

The fact that our QBs throwing windows were about 10yds not 2-3 ft wide helped a bunch of our WR issues.

Just an observation, but the WR issues seemed to be that we dropped the ball in clutch situations a lot... 3rd and whatever... 15 yard pass on cut over the middle... ball drilled in the chest... dropped.

The group of WRs as whole couldn't catch catchable balls when needed.

IMG_8043.jpeg

CUSE WR Job Description
Get Open
Catch The Ball
Run With It
No Block No Rock

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics