3/22/15 Ninth day of Spring Practice | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

3/22/15 Ninth day of Spring Practice

CuseLegacy said:
I think that you are reading too much into Toms' post.

Yea, that reply wasn't a dig at Estime, who will be part of the WR rotation for sure, and will likely get the same PT as the starters.

Ismael is, IMHO, by far our best WR and I hope we feature him this season.

The secondary looks short on players and play-makers. Moving Lewis wouldn't change that, but the idea of Estime at CB isn't laughable by any means. The guys being listed at H-back are receivers, so there is plenty of depth.

The secondary looks short on players and play-makers. Moving Lewis wouldn't change that, but the idea of Estime at CB isn't laughable by any means. The guys being listed at H-back are receivers, so there is plenty of depth.
I could be wrong but...I think Estime was an all-state DB in HS.

Still amazing to me that the staff brought in ZERO Receivers last year. Depth could be a big issue if we get hit with a few injuries or off the field issues.

Still amazing to me that the staff brought in ZERO Receivers last year. Depth could be a big issue if we get hit with a few injuries or off the field issues.

I'm right there with you. I was questioning it the whole time, especially after losing KJ, Cooper, West, and Flemming. The only reason I can come up with is that we simply won't need as many wr's in Lester's offense. Even formation wise there will typically only be 2 wr's on the field, where McDonald had some 5 receiver sets, so obviously the physical need isn't there.

I'm right there with you. I was questioning it the whole time, especially after losing KJ, Cooper, West, and Flemming. The only reason I can come up with is that we simply won't need as many wr's in Lester's offense. Even formation wise there will typically only be 2 wr's on the field, where McDonald had some 5 receiver sets, so obviously the physical need isn't there.

This staff has made some odd decisions when it comes to skill position players. Two years ago they only brought in one RB ( who was a major risk to qualify) despite the fact the hold overs were injury prone and mostly inexperienced. At minimum we should have brought in at least one WR for this year. Now all of our eggs are in this years basket where were going to have to bring in at least 3-4 WR recruits.

Wr is the least of this teams worries. The coaches even told funderburke to pack his bags. They can't be that worries about it.

If they aren't worried about wr's because they are comfortable with what they saw last year, then we should all be worried about the sanity of the staff.

If they aren't worried about wr's because they are comfortable with what they saw last year, then we should all be worried about the sanity of the staff.

Replace "sanity" with judgement and I am on board with you. But, to be fair, I would guess that the lack of WRs this cycle had less to do with the staff thinking they are all set there, and more to do with not being able to attract the difference maker types.

Replace "sanity" with judgement and I am on board with you. But, to be fair, I would guess that the lack of WRs this cycle had less to do with the staff thinking they are all set there, and more to do with not being able to attract the difference maker types.
You're right on the first part. Judgement would be a good replacement for sanity. But as far as attracting difference makers, they recruited very few wr's last cycle, especially after Lester took over they seemed to be set with needing anyone else.

You're right on the first part. Judgement would be a good replacement for sanity. But as far as attracting difference makers, they recruited very few wr's last cycle, especially after Lester took over they seemed to be set with needing anyone else.

I could be wrong, but I think they "lost" 3-4 higher profile WRs to Miami, Florida, Georgia, and Illinois. In any case, we need a WR or two that other teams need to account for with safety help. Otherwise, it will be a long year of trying to run against 8 in the box. Maybe Lester believes he can accomplish this with TEs. formations, and motion.

007 I think Ish can be that threat other teams plan special for...we haven't had a guy like him since Mike Williams.

Yeah Mark, I do think Ish has that kind of potential. He is not there yet and he tailed off at the end of the season. But, it will be interesting to see if he can take that next step and force Ds to account for him. We desperately need a playmaker at the WR position.

Estime has been running with the WRs and we'll need more than 2 wide outs.

if we move an offensive player to defense i'd move Ben Lewis to safety. Lewis being moved to hback is the player who's looking like the odd man out.
If Lewis is our odd man out I feel good about this year. Lewis did drop that touchdown pass last year, but played significantly well considering. He seems like a workhorse. We have much better options at receiver now than we did back in the Grob era.

If Enoicy and Custis live up to the hype where would an august freshman find pt? We're 3 deep at each position.

Free Article...

http://syracuse.At their request, t...-johnson-enjoys-syracuse-coaches-clinic?s=185

Mar 24, 2015 | 08:00 am
Johnson Enjoys Syracuse Coaches Clinic
Syracuse football held their annual coaches clinic over the weekend, which featured well over 100 coaches. During the event, head coach Scott Shafer and the rest of the Orange coaching staff led individual sessions with coaches, larger group sessions, social interaction and allowed attendees to watch practice on Sunday.
Many attend to learn. Whether it is different schemes, wrinkles to incorporate into their systems or just a different approach to familiar techniques. It is an opportunity for the Syracuse coaches to develop relationships with their high school brethren.
One of the more prominent attendees was a former Syracuse star wide receiver who had a solid NFL career. That would be one Kevin Johnson, who was there to learn for a slightly different reason.
”My thing was just to be able to talk to the Syracuse coaching staff,” Johnson said. “Spend a couple days with those guys and get to know what kind of athlete they’re looking for. Being from New Jersey and in the process of opening a fitness well center, a training facility here in Jersey,
”I wanted to get a better feel for the kind of athlete they’re looking for in the Jersey area and the Philadelphia area. Kids I’ll be working with once my facility opens. Just to get an idea of the techniques they’re teaching so I can get a hand on that for the guys I’ll be working with.”
Johnson was able to spend one-on-one time with several of the individual coaches. He learned different ideas from each and was able to learn about what they look for in a high school athlete. He intends to incorporate those into his teachings when his facility opens later this year.
”We had some great dialogue,” Johnson said. “I spent some time with the offensive coordinator (Tim Lester). Coach Shafer and myself had some quality time to sit down and talk. Coach Acosta, the wide receivers coach up there, is doing an excellent job working with his young guys.
”I got the chance to learn some of the philosophies he’s instilling in those guys. I had an opportunity to watch his receivers and learn some different techniques. It was a great trip.”

The former Syracuse star considered the trip a success. When his training facility opens, he wants to be able to represent Syracuse well and in turn, train players so that they are in the mold of what the Orange, and other college coaches, are looking for in their recruits.
He believes that the trip was only the start of a fruitful relationship with the Syracuse coaches. One that is beneficial for both parties.

CAqmMbTWwAAg7Yv.jpg:large

If Lewis is our odd man out I feel good about this year. Lewis did drop that touchdown pass last year, but played significantly well considering. He seems like a workhorse. We have much better options at receiver now than we did back in the Grob era.
He dropped like 4 TD passes- but was pretty good otherwise.

He dropped like 4 TD passes- but was pretty good otherwise.
Huh? He's only dropped one pass of any kind that I can remember...the TD pass.

In fact, his TD catch while laying on his back was on of the better catches I've seen. Lewis has been moved to H-back where he'll see plenty of PT including an occasional running play.