3 point shooting consistency | Syracusefan.com

3 point shooting consistency

dilligaf

Walk On
People get on Cooney as a streaky 3 point shooter.

But if you look at NBA offensive star stats of Rip Hamilton
you see he had season percentages ranging from .265 to .485

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Hamilton_(basketball)

Dwayne Wade shot between .171 and .317

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwyane_Wade

That's got to make the coach and fans a little crazy.

I'm too lazy to conduct further research.

But from this small sample seems like shooting consistency is not guaranteed even among highest level professionals.

NBA and college may be apples and oranges
And the pros were judged over longer period.

Not saying Cooney is a better shooter than these guys.

But he has shot within a tighter consistency range.

Statistically speaking as a 3 point shooter, he does not appear all that streaky.

Last edited:
Hamilton's game was built on his midrangrd jumper. He was never considered a 3pt marksman although he had some good seasons from distance.
Wade has always been a poor 3pt shooter for a guard.

I think these are two poor examples, but shooters certainly have their ups and downs. Look at Thompson in the finals. If you take away one of those horrible/unmakeable attempt for Cooney per game, he's right at 40% for his SU careeer. His issue is mostly shot selection and the fact that he isn't really a creator on offense.

3 pointers aren't Wade's game. I love Cooney, and think people are really hard on him, but his role is to shoot 3s, it'd be great if he could gain some consistency there.

The Book on Cooney, when he committed to Su, was that he was a really good perimeter shooter, he hasn't been as consistent as we probably have hoped, but he has another year to write his legacy.

People get on Cooney as a streaky 3 point shooter.

But if you look at NBA offensive star stats of Rip Hamilton
you see he had season percentages ranging from .265 to .485

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Hamilton_(basketball)

Dwayne Wade shot between .171 and .317

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwyane_Wade

That's got to make the coach and fans a little crazy.

I'm too lazy to conduct further research.

But from this small sample seems like shooting consistency is not guaranteed even among highest level professionals.

NBA and college may be apples and oranges
And the pros were judged over longer period.

Not saying Cooney is a better shooter than these guys.

But he has shot within a tighter consistency range.

Statistically speaking as a 3 point shooter, he does not appear all that streaky.

Nobody is saying Cooney isnt consistent He is very consistent. Consistently bad at shooting in games that matter.

Nobody is saying Cooney isnt consistent He is very consistent. Consistently bad at shooting in games that matter.

It's a reach to say he's consistently bad in games that matter. Has he had bad games against quality opponents? Yes. Has he had good games against quality opponents? Yes. Are his good games against quality opponents particularly rare? No. Are his bad games against quality opponents overly common? No. So, I would not say he's "consistently bad at shooting in games that matter."

Perhaps your definition of a game that matters varies from mine, but I'm thinking of preseason games against teams from the Power 5, conference games against the marque teams, and post season games. Cooney isn't consistently anything when it comes to shooting; he's been defined to this point by volatility. The same guy who has missed double digit 3's in a game and I'm told can't shoot, is also the guy who went on a 5 game conference run of 54% shooting on 35 attempts as a Junior, including the incredible performance against Notre Dame.

I think the OP is putting up 3 pt percentages for a full year, and where I think most people think Cooney is inconsistent is game to game.
I love Cooney and think hes an asset to the team, but like Brooky said, he was 54% thru the 5 game run and then seemed to really struggle the rest of the year. I think hes a good basketball player, a great kid and an asset to the team, but thats not consistent in my book

If you want to be negative about it, Everybody is inconsistant in games that matter. That is how 67 teams lose in march.
Turnovers and shooting will do you in.

Here goes.
Dayton - CJ 4-14, Ennis 7-21, Cooney 1-6, Grant only 3 shots.
Michigan - MCW 1-6 , Southerland 2-9, CJ was a solid 9 for 20
OSU- Joseph 4-11 Dion 2-8, Scoop 5-12
Marquette- actually good numbers. Tough to lose shooting 55% especially given our size against a team like Marq Turnovers though.
Butler- Wes 6-10 Rautins 4-8(from 3) Scoop 5-13 Actually shot decent in that one to 18 turnovers to 7 was a big difference.
Oklahoma - Devendorf 3-12 Rautins 4-12
Texas A+M - Gmac 0-6, Devendorf 5-13, Nichols 2-7, Wright 4-9 Watkins 2-5
Vermont- 24 turnovers, Gmac 4-18, Roberts 3-7, Louie 0-3
Alabama- Gmac 2-6, Pace 3-7, warrick 8-16, 17 turnovers to 9.

Bottom line shoot well when you need to. All the kids understand survive and advance once conference tournaments roll around. I would have traded a loss in the 6 OT game in a heartbeat for a final four or cutting down the nets that year.

Last edited:
The designated bomber for most teams run hot and cold.
No doubt there is variation game to game.
Some thoughts.

Strategically
Sometimes his poor shooting games were due to judgment ,
sometimes his team didn't help enough to spring him for open shots
or present sufficient scoring threat to detract attention from him .

Conversely
He seems to shoot better when he doesn't have time to think about it.
He seemed to hit the acrobatic shot better than the set shot.

On a related note
One officiating pet peeve of mine is how inconsistently they call moving screens.
Sometimes they let them play like an offensive line.
Other times a lean will get you whistled.

Malachi and Lydon will be joining Cooney in rolling out for threes this year.
And if Kaleb/Roberson show the potential to score in consecutive possessions off a couple of dribbles near the three point line, then maybe we can run some spot up sets to give Gbinije a break from all the isolation and point forward duties as well.

Compare that to the last 2 years, where our only other three point shooters, Gbinije and Fair were our isolation guys 25 feet from the basket. Cooney didn't have the help.

I don't think we will see alot of Cooney running three circles around the defense on one possession anymore. Instead one or two straight lines per possession. I expect him to mold his game into a Gmac shooting type more with plenty of shooting off the dribble as Malachi and Lydon will have more energy to be running around to get open and are taller for spotting up with fresher legs.

I also hope Cooney hasn't reached his full potential setting up teamates off the dribble yet. As a true jumpshooter, he never gets a half court transition assist when he drives squaring up with the hoop.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom