30-sec shot clock, 4-foot arc, reduction in time outs among changes coming to men's hoops | Syracusefan.com

30-sec shot clock, 4-foot arc, reduction in time outs among changes coming to men's hoops

Coaches being unable to call live ball timeouts is going to be a huge adjustment.

I can tell you right now, there are a lot of women's coaches unhappy about the fact they changed to four 10 minute quarters.

Coaches being unable to call live ball timeouts is going to be a huge adjustment.

I can tell you right now, there are a lot of women's coaches unhappy about the fact they changed to four 10 minute quarters.

Why is that? I admit I'm not the sharpest knife in drawer but what is their concern about 4 quarters?

Why is that? I admit I'm not the sharpest knife in drawer but what is their concern about 4 quarters?
I don't know the concerns but there should be less foul shots with four quarters. I wouldn't think it would be as easy or quick to get into the bonus.
http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcspo...purposes-four-quarters-for-womens-basketball/

Also I think college ball is the only one that is not played in quarters so the women wanted to make it more in line with high school, the WNBA and international ball. So as of now, only mens college basketball is played in halves. Everyone else in quarters

Quarters really does make more sense from the penalty standpoint. There are games in college where teams are in the bonus with 10 minutes or more to go. That's a slow end to a game right there.

Okay, someone help me out. We are down to 4 time outs a game, and if a coach calls one within 30 seconds of media time out, it becomes the team's time out. I think that's a great rule. But then it says you can carry no more than 3 time outs into the second half? So you can theoretically have 7 time outs?

Okay, someone help me out. We are down to 4 time outs a game, and if a coach calls one within 30 seconds of media time out, it becomes the team's time out. I think that's a great rule. But then it says you can carry no more than 3 time outs into the second half? So you can theoretically have 7 time outs?

You start the game with 4 timeouts. If you don't use one in the 1st half, you lose it. You can only carry a max of 3 into the 2nd half.

If you use 2 timeouts in the 1st half, you only have 2 left. If you use all 4 timeouts early, you'll have nothing left.

It just means that one of the 4 team timeouts must be used in the 1st half. It's the old use-it or lose-it timeout.

That part does away with 2 timeouts within a couple of clock seconds of each other. Up until this change it worked like this: Coach calls timeout with 12:10 on the clock. TV goes into commercial break. Teams go back on the floor and there's a foul called after 15 seconds go off the clock, leaving 11:55 to play. Now, TV has its allotted Under 12 Minutes left commercial break.

Starting next year, if the coach calls that timeout with 12:10 to go, it serves as TV's Under 12 Minutes timeout. It counts as a team timeout as it has always been, but the TV timeout is gone.

Nobody ever talks about it, and it'll never get changed, but does anyone think the abundance of TV timeouts leads to crappy play? That's what really ruins the continuity and flow of the game. The NBA doesn't even have TV timeouts every four minutes, but college does? Too much time on the bench leads to players/teams getting out of rhythm.

Nobody ever talks about it, and it'll never get changed, but does anyone think the abundance of TV timeouts leads to crappy play? That's what really ruins the continuity and flow of the game. The NBA doesn't even have TV timeouts every four minutes, but college does? Too much time on the bench leads to players/teams getting out of rhythm.

The last minute of an NBA game takes a half hour.

That part does away with 2 timeouts within a couple of clock seconds of each other. Up until this change it worked like this: Coach calls timeout with 12:10 on the clock. TV goes into commercial break. Teams go back on the floor and there's a foul called after 15 seconds go off the clock, leaving 11:55 to play. Now, TV has its allotted Under 12 Minutes left commercial break.

Starting next year, if the coach calls that timeout with 12:10 to go, it serves as TV's Under 12 Minutes timeout. It counts as a team timeout as it has always been, but the TV timeout is gone.

Unless it's the 1st team timeout of the 2nd half. That is a full media timeout and remains. The only thing this rule eliminates is the short team timeout shortly before a media TO.

I'm pretty sure the NBA media timeouts are every 3 minutes except there isn't one at the 9:00 mark of the 1st and 3rd quarters. It's just that teams must take the timeouts during the course of play.

Just brainstorming on the new 30 second shot. I would love to see us get supper aggressive under 12sec on the shot clock. Yes the other team would capitalize once in a while but it would deter teams from trying to run the clock in general and very few teams would consistently get good shots against an extended trapping zone in those last 12sec.
BTW, I think this 30sec rule will also play into Lville's hands as they get teams to waste clock against that sort of passive press that falls back into a match up 2-3. Often times it takes the other teams 12-15 seconds just to get over half court and reorganized against them which would then equate to a pretty short shot clock to defend against.
One last thought is that I expect the more talented teams to be able to run more. Shorter clocks will result in many more forced shots late in the shot clock with poor court balance resulting in some extra run outs every game.

I don't like quarters for college hoops because I think it means you'll see teams go in to a stall twice more per game (end of 1st and 3rd qs) instead of just once at the half.

Yes, I do understand that new rule and I think it's FABULOUS!!

You start the game with 4 timeouts. If you don't use one in the 1st half, you lose it. You can only carry a max of 3 into the 2nd half.

If you use 2 timeouts in the 1st half, you only have 2 left. If you use all 4 timeouts early, you'll have nothing left.
Okay, four time outs for the game, total. Not four time outs for each half. Ahhhhh. So!

This is humiliating. I have always thought that each team got a fresh set of time outs each half. How is it that I don't know these things? It's astonishing I am able to get myself to the Dome and find my seat! :crazy:

Cusefan, I feel that we DO talk about this. I personally am responsible for at least half of the whiny posts on this board about the subject.

Great changes. Might actually watch a non Syracuse game this season.

How about better officials! Get rid of the deadbeats and get some young blood in there who actually may know how to officiate a game correctly.

I read posts all during the college season about how much better the NBA officials are. I don't usually watch NBA games during the regular season but from what I've seen in the playoffs, there's not much difference.

How about better officials! Get rid of the deadbeats and get some young blood in there who actually may know how to officiate a game correctly.

Yes, like NBA officials!

Is mens bball switching to 4 10 minute quarters, or staying 2 20 minute halves?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom