30-sec shot clock, 4-foot arc, reduction in time outs among changes coming to men's hoops | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

30-sec shot clock, 4-foot arc, reduction in time outs among changes coming to men's hoops

Wonder why the men don't switch to quarters. International and nba both rock quarters

I *think* I remember some source say NIT would experiment with quarters in 2016

I think Foul trouble would have more negative impact in the college game, (outside of announcing).

The college level doesn't have the bench depth that pro leagues do. And freshmen/sophmores in the college game are much, much, more lost on the court then high school players. The difference from a senior in high school coming into the college game vs a senior in college going over seas to play pro ball is hugely in favor of the college senior imo.

Before the second quarter starts you will hear how this teams star is out for the entire second quarter time and time again. And the stoppage in play will change teams strategies before the second quarter. And tv crews will draw up diagrams and talk about attacking teams backup centers, and backup point guards. Once teams stars foul out before the 4th quarter, the beginning of the forth quarter alone will be a momentum changer.

And teams will start playing stall ball 2-4 minutes into the 4th quarter. Some might start to play stall ball the entire quarter.

Last edited:
Te move to quarters would help with free throws shot. With how terrible refs are now teams get in the bonus with 14 minutes left in a half and every foul becomes foul shots.

Going to 4 quarters and 5 team fouls for the bonus would make uniformity in basketball. Halves suck. 4 ten minute quarters one TV timeout under 5 per quarter and boom the game is better IMO.

Te move to quarters would help with free throws shot. With how terrible refs are now teams get in the bonus with 14 minutes left in a half and every foul becomes foul shots.

Going to 4 quarters and 5 team fouls for the bonus would make uniformity in basketball. Halves suck. 4 ten minute quarters one TV timeout under 5 per quarter and boom the game is better IMO.

In a 20 minute half each team currently has 6 fouls to give, and the bonus doesn't kick in until foul 7. You want to give each team 4 freebies in each quarter, with the bonus beginning after foul 5.

So our post players can expect 2 more elbows to the face in each half without shooting FT's.

Is this really a good thing?

One rule change I've always wanted to see is NBA continuation on fouls... nothing hampers offense more than giving defense the ability to foul after they've been beat knowing that worst case scenario is a foul on the floor.

One rule change that they kinda snuck in there is the elimination of the 5 sec rule. What's with that? Why would they get rid of a rule that is supposed to promote player/ball movement? Seems like they are trying to adopt most of the nba rules. I've watched the finals and some of the playoffs and for all the talk about how great the nba is these days i still find the style of play annoying

One rule change that they kinda snuck in there is the elimination of the 5 sec rule. What's with that? Why would they get rid of a rule that is supposed to promote player/ball movement? Seems like they are trying to adopt most of the nba rules. I've watched the finals and some of the playoffs and for all the talk about how great the nba is these days i still find the style of play annoying

Because standing in front of a player for 5 seconds isn't exactly defense. I agree the finals haven't been the great basketball it should be but Kyrie and Love are out so Cleveland is trying to make things work whichever way they can. If those two were in we'd be seeing some great offensive basketball imo. Games would be like 120-118.

Also what is intended by rule 1-22.4?

Also is rule 9-11 written strangely? Is the intent that the 10 second rule does not reset on offensive timeouts?

Wonder why the men don't switch to quarters. International and nba both rock quarters

Better question might be, why would the NCAA consider a change to quarters?

Also is rule 9-11 written strangely? Is the intent that the 10 second rule does not reset on offensive timeouts?

No, it resets UNLESS the defense causes the ball to go out of bounds, a technical foul is called on the offense or offense retains possession after a held ball.

I had to read that one a couple times, but I think it means if the neutral zone is orange, then our shorts need to be orange.

I know this is an NBA pic, but I think this is what they are looking for.

Free_throw.jpg

I had to read that one a couple times, but I think it means if the neutral zone is orange, then our shorts need to be orange.

I know this is an NBA pic, but I think this is what they are looking for.

Free_throw.jpg

I think 'neutral zone' refers to the front of the shorts. Maybe? The next rule, 1-22.7.a.1.a, declares the front of the jersey as the 'neutral zone'. I'm guessing whatever color is predominant on the front of the shorts needs to be predominant throughout the shorts (i.e. you can't have orange in the front and all white on the back). I originally assumed 'neutral zone' was specific to the jersey, but that would make an orange jersey blue shorts combo illegal, which we know it not to be.

texascpa said:
No, it resets UNLESS the defense causes the ball to go out of bounds, a technical foul is called on the offense or offense retains possession after a held ball.
that's how I read it to. I thought they were doing away with the timeout bailout?

Brooky03 said:
I think 'neutral zone' refers to the front of the shorts. Maybe? The next rule, 1-22.7.a.1.a, declares the front of the jersey as the 'neutral zone'. I'm guessing whatever color is predominant on the front of the shorts needs to be predominant throughout the shorts (i.e. you can't have orange in the front and all white on the back). I originally assumed 'neutral zone' was specific to the jersey, but that would make an orange jersey blue shorts combo illegal, which we know it not to be.
agreed. At first I read it like cpa but I think you're right I think the neutral zone is part of the uni. There are others referencing it. Not sure what the rule is supposed to address..,

I'm assuming the logic is that you don't need that kind of extra rule when there's a 30-second clock.

agreed. At first I read it like cpa but I think you're right I think the neutral zone is part of the uni. There are others referencing it. Not sure what the rule is supposed to address..,

I think Adidas had some shorts recently that flirted with the existing rule. I'm not 100% sure what they're addressing, or why the rule is being updated, but I seem to remember shorts with very thick solid stripes/bars at the top (from waistband to crotch) and another bar/stripe on one of the legs. The shorts were pretty close to a 50/50 split between whatever colors they were using. The rule still doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, though. I'd understand if it explicity limited the amount of white that could be in the shorts (I imagine there's already a rule for this), but this seems to be a rule addressing some other concern. Camo style shorts perhaps?

Nobody ever talks about it, and it'll never get changed, but does anyone think the abundance of TV timeouts leads to crappy play? That's what really ruins the continuity and flow of the game. The NBA doesn't even have TV timeouts every four minutes, but college does? Too much time on the bench leads to players/teams getting out of rhythm.
Agree ... 16, 12, 8 and 4 (TV), plus each coach with 4 TO's. Eight TV TO's and 8 coach's TO's (zzz). All these TO's take too long and disrupt the flow of the game.

Agree ... 16, 12, 8 and 4 (TV), plus each coach with 4 TO's. Eight TV TO's and 8 coach's TO's (zzz). All these TO's take too long and disrupt the flow of the game.
yep and it's (a big reason) why players are able to go 35+ min per game no problem and the concept of a long bench becomes overrated (not taking foul issues into account, of course)

LOL, I was waaaaaaay off.

How about better officials! Get rid of the deadbeats and get some young blood in there who actually may know how to officiate a game correctly.

I would like to see someone cut up some video of 100 charge/block calls and then use the video to test the referees. It would be really interesting to see how the referees choose without having the home crowd swaying their decision. If the game is decided purely subjectively then it's not game. You would think philosophically the rules around charge/block would be unambiguous and succinct so it can be consistently called. I'm kind of sick of a jack donkey referee making a huge call for the home team so he can pretend he was the one getting all the cheers. The charge/block calls are my biggest turn off to CBB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom