44 IS RESTORED | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

44 IS RESTORED

I agree. From what I know about Jim Brown, if he was against something, he wouldn't be afraid to say something. So if he didn't make it completely clear and say "hell no" - too late.
seriously.

if BigJim didnt want it done, EVERYONE wouldve known about it.

Once upon a time, a whiz-bang football player, son of Georgia and Swinton Brown, decided to visit this here burg ...

Last edited:
I wonder if this rush to judgement by syracuse.com folks and ESPN doesn't expose a bit of bias ... or if it's just plain old incompetence.

I don't even bother with Syracuse.com anymore.
You catch on quickly.

It's amazing how they are consistently so negative toward the program they're covering. The kids freaking notice it. I had one '15 recruit tell me he's never, ever going to speak to one of their writers in particular because he's tired of his negativity.

And they wonder why the access to the program has diminished over the years.

Yep. If Jim Brown had a problem with something...people would freaking know about it IMMEDIATELY.
the other side of the coin...DONT put words in his mouth.

You catch on quickly.

It's amazing how they are consistently so negative toward the program they're covering. The kids freaking notice it. I had one '15 recruit tell me he's never, ever going to speak to one of their writers in particular because he's tired of his negativity.

And they wonder why the access to the program has diminished over the years.
Was it my kid? 'Cause he told me that.

The kids most certainly do notice.

Was it my kid? 'Cause he told me that.

The kids most certainly do notice.
Nope. It was another one. So this means at least two of them are swearing off ever talking to the local media members because of the continued negative remarks.

Well, didn't take Bud wrong to get his BS online. His stance: we should probably take Jim Brown's word as gospel because he was a great football player and has never been known to stretch the truth.

So to recap: Bud was against a statue of Floyd Little because he might eventually do something to embarrass the University, but he's fully on Jim Brown's side about 44 because it fits his agenda, never mind the fact that Jim Brown's a serial domestic abuser.

Gotcha, Bud.

Well, didn't take Bud wrong to get his BS online. His stance: we should probably take Jim Brown's word as gospel because he was a great football player and has never been known to stretch the truth.

So to recap: Bud was against a statue of Floyd Little because he might eventually do something to embarrass the University, but he's fully on Jim Brown's side about 44 because it fits his agenda, never mind the fact that Jim Brown's a serial domestic abuser.

Gotcha, Bud.

Idiotic column. But on the bright side, we have a new word for the Bud Poliquin Drinking Game: Neckties. As in "SU's neckties." Drink up, boys and girls!

Idiotic column. But on the bright side, we have a new word for the Bud Poliquin Drinking Game: Neckties. As in "SU's neckties." Drink up, boys and girls!
And I mean, I'm fine with using the "Jim Brown isn't for it" argument...if that's actually what this is. Jim's quotes were very wishy washy and indecisive.

But to use the "Jim Brown is beyond reproach and we should listen to him" angle is just asinine.

I'm still hungover from "whiz bang"

Nope. It was another one. So this means at least two of them are swearing off ever talking to the local media members because of the continued negative remarks.

Imagine if Cohen were still at the PS. There would be 85 kids who wouldn't talk to them. Walk-ons not included.

how this guy has been gainfully employed as a writer for so long when so many good journalists get fired is beyond me. he must have incriminating photos of someone. he is an absolute fool of a person too (in addition to his terrible writing).

Does Bud ever stop crying! First, Jim Brown is the Great ONE, Period. Second he has a right to his opinion and we all know he will give it, lol! Third and most importantly the #44 is not exclusive to Jim Brown and only Jim Brown. Many players made this a Great # in SYRACUSE history. I would welcome Jim's opinion and hope he would be on board with the resurrection of 44 but he does not hold and judge court all by himself. This is fabled Number 44 from Syracuse University, not from Jim Brown and only Jim Brown.
I truly hope SU does this right, finally and makes any player getting this number having to earn it. I do not think it should ever go to a true freshman. Let a panel, as has been suggested or hinted at (with Jim Brown part of); determine its assignment in future years.
Lastly, Bud could you please just go away with all of your negativity towards SU Football?

I've always felt Floyd Little has just as much say in this as Jim Brown, if not more. First, because 44 doesn't just represent on field performance. It's also about how you conduct yourself off the field, and Jim Brown hasn't exactly been a saint over the years. Floyd, meanwhile, is an upstanding citizen who has conducted himself in the best, classiest way possible. Honestly, I think Floyd represents what 44 has come to mean better than Jim. Jim was obviously the greater football player, but Floyd lived up to Ernie's standard (and I think we can all agree it's Ernie Davis who is the standard bearer for what 44 should mean) better than Jim Brown ever has.

So while I want Jim Brown on board, it doesn't stop and start with him. And honestly...again...people are missing the part where Jim Brown came right out and said "I told them whatever they wanted to do is OK with me."

I'd also throw in that it sounds like Brown was "meh" on the issue and is trusting Floyd's opinion - since he's on campus every day and is much, much closer to the program. If he's not amped about it (I don't think he's amped about anything) and defers to Floyd - how is this any different than where we were really?

Strikes me as 'meh' news. Shocking at first glance, a not-really-a-big-deal after looking more closely.

I'd also throw in that it sounds like Brown was "meh" on the issue and is trusting Floyd's opinion - since he's on campus every day and is much, much closer to the program. If he's not amped about it (I don't think he's amped about anything) and defers to Floyd - how is this any different than where we were really?

Strikes me as 'meh' news. Shocking at first glance, a not-really-a-big-deal after looking more closely.
That's how I feel. It's not a story, but obviously our local media decided to spin it into one.

true, its whatever news.

the story isnt really what Jim Brown thinks, its how the SUAD screwed things up...again.

BigJim basically abstained from voting.

they came out and said he was behind it...that he endorsed it.

he clearly did not and doesnt want it portrayed that way.

its 2 completely separate things.

whomever is writing the stories up there, has a story, but has screwed that up too.

And honestly...again...people are missing the part where Jim Brown came right out and said "I told them whatever they wanted to do is OK with me."
I think there are some people who want to miss that point

true, its whatever news.

the story isnt really what Jim Brown thinks, its how the SUAD screwed things up...again.

BigJim basically abstained from voting.

they came out and said he was behind it...that he endorsed it.

he clearly did not and doesnt want it portrayed that way.

its 2 completely separate things.

whomever is writing the stories up there, has a story, but has screwed that up too.

I watched the 44 statue thingy - They said that Brown said I don't know - if you think it's okay - go for it (to Floyd). Not sure it was ever painted as an endorsement per se. And has been stated - Brown is kinda meh on all things. A "shrug" is as good as an endorsement from that guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom