54, 44, 54, 46, 55 | Syracusefan.com

54, 44, 54, 46, 55

I think it is all about intensity. I don't think we have one bulldog on the team. They focus and build a lead, but then they get complacent. I don't want to use the word "lazy" because I don't think that's it. But, you need a vocal leader that gets on guys when they lose focus. We do not value every possession. We can win quite a few games if we just learn to keep the intensity level up for 40 minutes. It's hard to do when you are playing 38 minutes. You are bound to take plays off.

If I remember correctly KP rankings typically retain some "preseason" element until about game 8, so as that element totally fades out we continue our descent... I think we were #158 before this game.

Found this Bartorvik page as I was looking for a site that reliable conference projections. Not sure how reliable or not this site is, but they have our Adjusted D at #209. Good news is they have our offence at #12.

I think it is all about intensity. I don't think we have one bulldog on the team. They focus and build a lead, but then they get complacent. I don't want to use the word "lazy" because I don't think that's it. But, you need a vocal leader that gets on guys when they lose focus. We do not value every possession. We can win quite a few games if we just learn to keep the intensity level up for 40 minutes. It's hard to do when you are playing 38 minutes. You are bound to take plays off.

Intensity could be a part of it.

But it does seem teams have found a way to make good halftime adjustments over and over.

I think JB has two options, neither of which looks promising at the moment.

#1 is to stick with Swider and Jimmy for 70+ mins between them, hoping that they can score enough to overcome defensive and rebounding liabilities.

The other is to find more time for Benny. He is the only conceivable path for a better defensive team. Largely because of his athleticism. Problem is that he seems unsure about the rotations, negating his athletic gifts, and on offense he is completely lost.

Not great!

Are we athletic? No.

Are their correctable issues? Yes

Some of our best athletes are getting beat down the court after we score. Looking at you Frank and Benny. Saw that multiple times last night.

We are terrible at identifying shooters. You can see where every 3 is coming from before it happens. Symir and Girard gamble too much inside.

Are we athletic? No.

Some of our best athletes are getting beat down the court after we score. Looking at you Frank and Benny. Saw that multiple times last night.

We are terrible at identifying shooters. You can see where every 3 is coming from before it happens. Symir and Girard gamble too much inside.
Frank and Benny didn't see the floor in the second half last night. Those numbers are getting put up against the starters. Joe, Buddy & Jimmy are all long time vets of this zone. This is nothing new to them. This isn't going to get corrected. Those are not new pieces.

Are we athletic? No.

yeah some of it for sure is correctable - I hold out hope that this group will become a marginally adequate defense

Frank and Benny didn't see the floor in the second half last night. Those numbers are getting put up against the starters. Joe, Buddy & Jimmy are all long time vets of this zone. This is nothing new to them. This isn't going to get corrected. Those are not new pieces.
Franks defense was awful. He let Indiana tie the game once because he was too busy lolly gagging back after someone on our team made a shot. Happy he made the free throws though.

Franks defense was awful. He let Indiana tie the game once because he was too busy lolly gagging back after someone on our team made a shot. Happy he made the free throws though.
Tie the game...after trailing by 18. Frank and Benny were not the reason Parker Stewart and Miller Kopp torched the zone. Those 2 were not on the floor while Indiana came back. It was Buddy and Joe at the top of the zone. Swider and Jimmy on the wings.

Tie the game...after trailing by 18. Frank and Benny were not the reason Parker Stewart and Miller Kopp torched the zone. Those 2 were not on the floor while Indiana came back. It was Buddy and Joe at the top of the zone. Swider and Jimmy on the wings.
who's disputing that?

We are talking about what can be fixed. Some of those guys aren't athletes. I am here to have a constructive conversation.

Jimmy is NOT a vet of the zone. This is his first year playing SU zone. Can we all remember that?

Jimmy is NOT a vet of the zone. This is his first year playing SU zone. Can we all remember that?
My point wasn't that Jimmy does/doesn't know the zone. It's more the fact that he (and others on this team) are really unathletic and the zone is going to suffer because of it. You can give him leeway, that's fine but my point is that it isn't going to get fixed because the guys playing the zone are not athletic enough. They are all plodders except Benny.

We are talking about what can be fixed. Some of those guys aren't athletes. I am here to have a constructive conversation.
And really that's my point. Jim has put together a team that simply isn't athletic enough. Period. Offensively or defensively. They will score (most games) because they have shooters, but that's only going to get you so far.

I actually think that Jimmy is going to develop into this guy

I think he’s just getting comfortable with everyone and taking that role on

He showed some flashes of it last night

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors