9 day hiatus mid season? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

9 day hiatus mid season?

IIRC, the break is also part of an NCAA rule about giving the players some time off. I could easily be wrong about that, though.

73CAV said:
I believe all the ACC teams get a week long break at some point in the season. It wasn't always this way, but since expansion moved the conference to 15 teams, it has been the case. Of course, I remember 30 years ago when Virginia would play ranked OOC teams in January and/or February, and no one seems to do THAT anymore. Then, again, there were only eight members in the ACC in the 80's (and only seven for most of the 70's). Contemporary logic seems to dictate that once you celebrate the New Year and the ball drops in Times Square, you limit your schedule to conference foes.
Not true. The longest break between conference games is generally 7 days. The longest break for ND is 5 days. For a few ACC schools, like BC, the longest break is 6 days. A few more have an 8 day break between games.

Only Syracuse has a break of 9 days. They are also the only school with a second break of 7 days. Syracuse was also given one of the toughest ACC schedules in terms of opponents.

The ACC really botched things with the schedule this season. I hope they screw someone else next season...

I'd buy that if they were playing great ball but they came out flat vs GT and VT and could just as easily be staring at a 2-game losing streak. If anything the break might help them get refocused.

That is a very good point!

Not true. The longest break between conference games is generally 7 days. The longest break for ND is 5 days. For a few ACC schools, like BC, the longest break is 6 days. A few more have an 8 day break between games.

Only Syracuse has a break of 9 days. They are also the only school with a second break of 7 days. Syracuse was also given one of the toughest ACC schedules in terms of opponents.

The ACC really botched things with the schedule this season. I hope they screw someone else next season...

Hopefully it will backfire and Orange magic will prevail!

NSFW

Is there any rationale for the large gap between games which comes in the middle of the heart of the ACC schedule? Do other teams have similar voids in their schedules? I'm not entirely sure as to whether this helps the team or works against it. It seems like there are pros and cons but as a fan it's horrible.

We come roaring back in our last game and it seems like the team is really starting to coalesce and then...
crickets... for more than a week? I just don't get it and I for sure, don't like it.

Yours truly,
Withdrawl in Fla.

Took a look at the entire ACC schedule. With an odd number of teams there will always be at least one team with no weekend game. Guess it's the same for midweek but I was too lazy to track. So you either schedule a non-conference game in the middle of the conference season - no one wants to do that - or have a bye weekend in effect. For the 9 weekends from January 9th though the end of the season 8 teams were unscheduled on a weekend. Clemson lost two weekends. The Cuse break of 8 days without a game is the longest but Va. Tech and Clemson had full 7 day breaks. The rest were 5 or 6 days.

Can certainly debate the pros and cons. With a short rotation and Boeheim's earlier hiatus I fully expect this to be a net positive for Cuse with a little extra rest and a chance to tweak some things. But I think ideally you want all teams to play a weekend game during conference season. ACC should go to 16 and address the issue of an odd number of teams on the football side where you want to have an in season bye and OOC games later in the year are much more prevalent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom