9 Game Schedule Question | Syracusefan.com

9 Game Schedule Question

MSTiger02

Walk On
The 8+2 versus 9+1 has been a hot topic lately. If the ACC goes with 9 then we could go with an additional game simply being rotated from the other division.

or

We could add an additional permanent crossover to restore some games every school wants to play more often.

ACC Football Rx: The Best Way to Do 9 Games

FSU vs GT, Wake vs UNC, NCState vs Duke, and BC vs Pitt are games that make sense and the fanbases have been clamoring for.

That leaves Cuse, Clemson, and UofL from the Atlantic and Miami, VT, and UVA from the Coastal.

If this were the scenario, how would you match them up? Keep in mind that UVA and UofL are already crossovers.

There are positives and negatives to each one, but I would match-up like this...

Cuse vs UVA
Clemson vs VT
UofL vs Miami

While Cuse would want to get in Florida more, crossing over with Miami would have them playing CU, FSU and UM every year. Killer. Playing UVA would get you in good recruiting territory closer to home with a more manageable opponent. Access to Virginia is limited to the coastal because of the division set up. This would open up Virginia to 2 more schools in the Atlantic.

Cuse VT would make historic sense as well but CU would rather play VT than UVA.

VT would give UofL its closest conference opponent and would be a good match but for recruiting and history I know UofL fans want Miami more that any other opponent.

Clemson Miami would complete the round robin of the 4 southern most teams but if Miami gets back to form under Richt then there is no need to knock contenders out of the CFP before the Championship game. (team strength is cyclical I know.)

UVa and VT might rather play Clemson and Cuse respectively however. Idk. Fun to think about though.

MSTiger02 said:
The 8+2 versus 9+1 has been a hot topic lately. If the ACC goes with 9 then we could go with an additional game simply being rotated from the other division. or We could add an additional permanent crossover to restore some games every school wants to play more often. ACC Football Rx: The Best Way to Do 9 Games FSU vs GT, Wake vs UNC, NCState vs Duke, and BC vs Pitt are games that make sense and the fanbases have been clamoring for. That leaves Cuse, Clemson, and UofL from the Atlantic and Miami, VT, and UVA from the Coastal. If this were the scenario, how would you match them up? Keep in mind that UVA and UofL are already crossovers. There are positives and negatives to each one, but I would match-up like this... Cuse vs UVA Clemson vs VT UofL vs Miami While Cuse would want to get in Florida more, crossing over with Miami would have them playing CU, FSU and UM every year. Killer. Playing UVA would get you in good recruiting territory closer to home with a more manageable opponent. Access to Virginia is limited to the coastal because of the division set up. This would open up Virginia to 2 more schools in the Atlantic. Cuse VT would make historic sense as well but CU would rather play VT than UVA. VT would give UofL its closest conference opponent and would be a good match but for recruiting and history I know UofL fans want Miami more that any other opponent. Clemson Miami would complete the round robin of the 4 southern most teams but if Miami gets back to form under Richt then there is no need to knock contenders out of the CFP before the Championship game. (team strength is cyclical I know.) UVa and VT might rather play Clemson and Cuse respectively however. Idk. Fun to think about though.

We'd rather play VT or Miami. We once considered them rivals and there is enough history that it would be good for the "gate" up here.

UVa is fine.

Have to go with VT. We had a heated rivalry with them back in the old Big East days. I would put Miami a close 2nd due to the old Big East ties and for recruiting purposes.

I would not be upset with UVA though.

VT or Miami for sure

How about
SU/VT
BC/Miami
Clemson/UVA
L'ville/Pitt

I think we need to tweak the divisions. Having 3 small private schools in the Atlantic needs to be fixed. I am sure that UVA doesn't want Louisville and VA Tech doesn't want BC. So swap BC and Pitt to give you:

FSU-Miami
Clemson-GA Tech
NC State-UNC
Wake-Duke
Louisville-VA Tech
Pitt-UVA
SU-BC

Although selfishly I rather see SU moved over to the Coastal. Then if you have secondary perms:

FSU-GA Tech
NC State-Duke
Wake-UNC
Clemson-VA Tech
Louisville-Miami
BC-Pitt
SU-UVA

Two perms kind of stinks still as we would see Miami, GA Tech, UNC, Duke, VA Tech once every 5 years but that is better than once every 6 years.

Also to fix the SEC rival game problems, why not have the teams who play ND that year have 8 ACC games while the other teams play 9 ACC games. Which means that everyone plays 10 P5 games. Some will be at 9+1 while others are at 8+1+1. The only issue is that 8 teams would be at 9 games while 6 teams are at 8 games. So one of those 6 teams would be at 8+0+2.

No matter what you do, there is going to be an issue. The perm+half+other half (3+5+5 at 8 games) works best but isn't "legal."

I think we need to tweak the divisions. Having 3 small private schools in the Atlantic needs to be fixed. I am sure that UVA doesn't want Louisville and VA Tech doesn't want BC. So swap BC and Pitt to give you:

FSU-Miami
Clemson-GA Tech
NC State-UNC
Wake-Duke
Louisville-VA Tech
Pitt-UVA
SU-BC

Although selfishly I rather see SU moved over to the Coastal. Then if you have secondary perms:

FSU-GA Tech
NC State-Duke
Wake-UNC
Clemson-VA Tech
Louisville-Miami
BC-Pitt
SU-UVA

Two perms kind of stinks still as we would see Miami, GA Tech, UNC, Duke, VA Tech once every 5 years but that is better than once every 6 years.

Also to fix the SEC rival game problems, why not have the teams who play ND that year have 8 ACC games while the other teams play 9 ACC games. Which means that everyone plays 10 P5 games. Some will be at 9+1 while others are at 8+1+1. The only issue is that 8 teams would be at 9 games while 6 teams are at 8 games. So one of those 6 teams would be at 8+0+2.

No matter what you do, there is going to be an issue. The perm+half+other half (3+5+5 at 8 games) works best but isn't "legal."
I wonder what would happen if the ACC said F it and went with the 3+5+5.

Another question is there a loophole now for a 5 team division? They approved 5 team divisions for the B12. So if the ACC added one team and went with 3 divisions of 5, could they just choose the two best division winners and place them in the ACC CG? If that is the case then the ACC could add Cincy, Temple or UConn now.

Another question is there a loophole now for a 5 team division? They approved 5 team divisions for the B12. So if the ACC added one team and went with 3 divisions of 5, could they just choose the two best division winners and place them in the ACC CG? If that is the case then the ACC could add Cincy, Temple or UConn now.

West Virginia. Take advantage of the B12 instability and grab them now.

Then keep the seat warm for ND, and we never have to worry about this topic again.

West Virginia. Take advantage of the B12 instability and grab them now.

Then keep the seat warm for ND, and we never have to worry about this topic again.

I'll take it.

I seriously wonder if WV had an ACC invite, would the B12 let them go without having to challenge the GOR? They aren't a fit to the conference. The B12 could make geographic sense by adding Houston, BYU, Colorado State to go back to 12 teams. The conference can be split up easily with Texas/Big 8 in the East and the rest in the West.

I'll take it.

I seriously wonder if WV had an ACC invite, would the B12 let them go without having to challenge the GOR? They aren't a fit to the conference. The B12 could make geographic sense by adding Houston, BYU, Colorado State to go back to 12 teams. The conference can be split up easily with Texas/Big 8 in the East and the rest in the West.
that would be awesome.

the cherry would be that storz is still totally Fd.

HRE Otto IV said:
I'll take it. I seriously wonder if WV had an ACC invite, would the B12 let them go without having to challenge the GOR? They aren't a fit to the conference. The B12 could make geographic sense by adding Houston, BYU, Colorado State to go back to 12 teams. The conference can be split up easily with Texas/Big 8 in the East and the rest in the West.

I think at first they'd fight it, just because there's a pride thing about getting poached.

But in the end that would just end up being a negotiating position. $ cures everything. As you said, they really don't fit and no school is going to miss that trip. WVU would jump for joy and kick in all their beer revenue.

Miami. A game in Flordia every year. Florida recruits get to go home every year.

We dont want miami on top of fsu and Clemson every year. Suicide

MSTiger02 said:
The 8+2 versus 9+1 has been a hot topic lately. If the ACC goes with 9 then we could go with an additional game simply being rotated from the other division. or We could add an additional permanent crossover to restore some games every school wants to play more often. ACC Football Rx: The Best Way to Do 9 Games FSU vs GT, Wake vs UNC, NCState vs Duke, and BC vs Pitt are games that make sense and the fanbases have been clamoring for. That leaves Cuse, Clemson, and UofL from the Atlantic and Miami, VT, and UVA from the Coastal. If this were the scenario, how would you match them up? Keep in mind that UVA and UofL are already crossovers. There are positives and negatives to each one, but I would match-up like this... Cuse vs UVA Clemson vs VT UofL vs Miami While Cuse would want to get in Florida more, crossing over with Miami would have them playing CU, FSU and UM every year. Killer. Playing UVA would get you in good recruiting territory closer to home with a more manageable opponent. Access to Virginia is limited to the coastal because of the division set up. This would open up Virginia to 2 more schools in the Atlantic. Cuse VT would make historic sense as well but CU would rather play VT than UVA. VT would give UofL its closest conference opponent and would be a good match but for recruiting and history I know UofL fans want Miami more that any other opponent. Clemson Miami would complete the round robin of the 4 southern most teams but if Miami gets back to form under Richt then there is no need to knock contenders out of the CFP before the Championship game. (team strength is cyclical I know.) UVa and VT might rather play Clemson and Cuse respectively however. Idk. Fun to think about though.
I think it would be an awful idea to have a second crossover game.

The whole point of adding a ninth conference game is to reduce the number of years it takes to play everyone in the conference home and away.

Players spend 5 years playing football at an ACC school and never play against a couple ACC opponents. That just isn't right.

Excellent point TC. Unfortunately this vote will come down to financial considerations. In the end ESPN will get what they want. Increased high end content. With so many teams scheduled out for years the economics of dropping games is definitely a factor. I expect 8/2 will hold for now.5

kcsu said:
Excellent point TC. Unfortunately this vote will come down to financial considerations. In the end ESPN will get what they want. Increased high end content. With so many teams scheduled out for years the economics of dropping games is definitely a factor. I expect 8/2 will hold for now.5

I think they will go 9. Not enough games out there.

We'd lose the championship game, a non-starter in the view of most folks. The current rule that applies to us is that we have to have divisions and only the division champions meet in the CG. The only way to accomplish what 3-5-5 gets us while keeping divisions is two groups of 3 that go back and forth between the divisions, who have 4 permanent members. Alsacs and a UNC-CHeat board guru came up with that idea.

The Big XII does not have divisions. The rule was rewritten so that they can have a championship game between the 2 teams with the best records after they play a complete round robin schedule of all the conference members. The rule change was done specifically by the SEC and B1G to keep the ACC "poachable" by preventing it from instituting 3-5-5, but help the Big XII. If the Big XII does eventually expand to 12 or more, then they will have to re-establish divisions and follow the same procedures as everyone else.

We'd lose the championship game, a non-starter in the view of most folks. The current rule that applies to us is that we have to have divisions and only the division champions meet in the CG. The only way to accomplish what 3-5-5 gets us while keeping divisions is two groups of 3 that go back and forth between the divisions, who have 4 permanent members. Alsacs and a UNC-CHeat board guru came up with that idea.

The Big XII does not have divisions. The rule was rewritten so that they can have a championship game between the 2 teams with the best record after they play a complete round robin schedule of all the conference members. If they do expand to 12 or more, then they will have to re-establish divisions and follow the same procedures as everyone else.
All because the B1G wanted to F the ACC. Well we at least locked ND in for another decade so F them.

Just rotate the division's every other year.
Come up with two sets of names for the different configurations and move on.

The 8+2 versus 9+1 has been a hot topic lately. If the ACC goes with 9 then we could go with an additional game simply being rotated from the other division.

or

We could add an additional permanent crossover to restore some games every school wants to play more often.

ACC Football Rx: The Best Way to Do 9 Games

FSU vs GT, Wake vs UNC, NCState vs Duke, and BC vs Pitt are games that make sense and the fanbases have been clamoring for.

That leaves Cuse, Clemson, and UofL from the Atlantic and Miami, VT, and UVA from the Coastal.

If this were the scenario, how would you match them up? Keep in mind that UVA and UofL are already crossovers.

There are positives and negatives to each one, but I would match-up like this...

Cuse vs UVA
Clemson vs VT
UofL vs Miami

While Cuse would want to get in Florida more, crossing over with Miami would have them playing CU, FSU and UM every year. Killer. Playing UVA would get you in good recruiting territory closer to home with a more manageable opponent. Access to Virginia is limited to the coastal because of the division set up. This would open up Virginia to 2 more schools in the Atlantic.

Cuse VT would make historic sense as well but CU would rather play VT than UVA.

VT would give UofL its closest conference opponent and would be a good match but for recruiting and history I know UofL fans want Miami more that any other opponent.

Clemson Miami would complete the round robin of the 4 southern most teams but if Miami gets back to form under Richt then there is no need to knock contenders out of the CFP before the Championship game. (team strength is cyclical I know.)

UVa and VT might rather play Clemson and Cuse respectively however. Idk. Fun to think about though.
We have no real preference on this. As it is, since the end of the 29-game streak the UVa - Clemson series is nearly even.

When the Twerps left, Greensboro simply crossed off "Maryland" on everyone's schedules in all sports and wrote "Louisville" in its place because it was the easiest thing to do. We don't mind keeping Louisville. We don't mind having it switched to someone else. That was one of the problems with trying to set up the 3-5-5 schedule - We'd definitely want to play VPI and UNC-CHeat, but after that :noidea:. VPI got BC because VPI is in what was supposed to be SU's slot under the original 2003 expansion plan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom