A couple concerns | Syracusefan.com

A couple concerns

Cuseball

Starter
There is no shame in losing to Tennessee on a neutral court this early in the season. We are very young and will get better as the season progresses. We will also get better next year when we bring in two key and needed pieces.

However, here are a few things that give me concern:
  • Bad shots and why these players feel they can take them. Judah has the green light and when he is off it may not be pretty but that’s ok. The concern is seeing players like Copeland spot up outside the three point line and shooting bricks early in the shot clock . He’s not a shooter and that should only be a last option. Why is he allowed to do it. The Malik three pointer was absurd and makes me feel Red does not have full control
  • Timeouts and subbing. It’s probably fair that this will take some time but some of the lineups and subbing patterns seem to be done without feel for the game . Putting Carey into the game was a major miscalculation by Red that cost our team five points. it’s beyond obvious that he can’t play against a physical team like Tennessee. We aren’t good enough to give away five points. Not calling a timeout at the end of the half was a poor decision. Could have put Judah in for some semblance of a possession. When Tennessee is making runs also had the chance for timeouts.
  • JJ. I knew he wasn’t a shooter but did expect a better mid range game and thought he could get to the hoop at wil. Those things aren’t happening yet and may not. Even more surprising is his defense. He’s big and strong but seems to have trouble staying with opponents and is constantly getting beat. Perhaps he’ll find his flow but at the moment we did not upgrade our SG spot and that was the big hope.
  • Sloppy turnovers and mistakes. Giving away possessions on inbounds plays, silly passes and bad shots is a mark of an undisciplined team.
The game vs Gonzaga brings a huge opportunity to capture a resume building win and to address some of these concerns. Get players to play within their roles, do the little things and limit mistakes.

Cuse!

The two biggest concerns for me are the lack of offensive rebounding and the way Maliq is being used. There are way to many Syracuse shots with either nobody in rebounding position or everybody turning and running with the ball in the air. Makes it way too easy on the other team, one shot and done without having to work for it. Compared with how a good offensive rebounding team makes a high percentage of defensive rebounds a struggle. I think Maliq being in the game for stretches with a center would help this. This is not going to be a high percentage shooting team so they're going to need second chance points. I would really like to see Maliq and Mcleod in together hitting the offensive glass.

Red is finding his way and I think he will be fine. Three things I would do immediately- 1) you take a bad shot you are coming out immediately. 2) you sashay to a 50/50 ball, close out, rebound, transition D whatever - you are coming out. 3) and tougher to qualify but you play selfish you are coming out (hot dog pass, missed pass, etc).

Mental mistakes are going to happen especially as it doesn't seem anyone's basketball IQ is off the charts (thanks again AAU culture), but lazy and selfish we can't have and Red needs to stomp on that quick.

There is no shame in losing to Tennessee on a neutral court this early in the season. We are very young and will get better as the season progresses. We will also get better next year when we bring in two key and needed pieces.

However, here are a few things that give me concern:
  • Bad shots and why these players feel they can take them. Judah has the green light and when he is off it may not be pretty but that’s ok. The concern is seeing players like Copeland spot up outside the three point line and shooting bricks early in the shot clock . He’s not a shooter and that should only be a last option. Why is he allowed to do it. The Malik three pointer was absurd and makes me feel Red does not have full control
  • Timeouts and subbing. It’s probably fair that this will take some time but some of the lineups and subbing patterns seem to be done without feel for the game . Putting Carey into the game was a major miscalculation by Red that cost our team five points. it’s beyond obvious that he can’t play against a physical team like Tennessee. We aren’t good enough to give away five points. Not calling a timeout at the end of the half was a poor decision. Could have put Judah in for some semblance of a possession. When Tennessee is making runs also had the chance for timeouts.
  • JJ. I knew he wasn’t a shooter but did expect a better mid range game and thought he could get to the hoop at wil. Those things aren’t happening yet and may not. Even more surprising is his defense. He’s big and strong but seems to have trouble staying with opponents and is constantly getting beat. Perhaps he’ll find his flow but at the moment we did not upgrade our SG spot and that was the big hope.
  • Sloppy turnovers and mistakes. Giving away possessions on inbounds plays, silly passes and bad shots is a mark of an undisciplined team.
The game vs Gonzaga brings a huge opportunity to capture a resume building win and to address some of these concerns. Get players to play within their roles, do the little things and limit mistakes.

Cuse!
Yeah, way too many bad shots. By now, Copeland should know better. As for Maliq's 3 pt shot, I believe it was at the end of the shot clock, if I'm not mistaken. Maliq is not one who forces things - he outstanding at playing his role on the team. Therefore, I give him a pass either way. The rest of the guys though, need to try to get easier attempts.

So far, really disappointed in JJ. Hopefully he will improve.

Why did Benny get so few minutes after he came in and got us 8 points?

Yeah, way too many bad shots. By now, Copeland should know better. As for Maliq's 3 pt shot, I believe it was at the end of the shot clock, if I'm not mistaken. Maliq is not one who forces things - he outstanding at playing his role on the team. Therefore, I give him a pass either way. The rest of the guys though, need to try to get easier attempts.

So far, really disappointed in JJ. Hopefully he will improve.

Why did Benny get so few minutes after he came in and got us 8 points?

I heard or read somewhere yesterday that Benny may have tweaked his back. Which would be par for the course since Brown and McLeod are struggling with the same thing.

I heard or read somewhere yesterday that Benny may have tweaked his back. Which would be par for the course since Brown and McLeod are struggling with the same thing.
perfect

Get the ball inbounds from under the basket. It’s been a problem in every game. It still has not been addressed. Teams are just playing the passes because there is no action or concern for what’s happening under the basket.

If he ever gets in a defensive stance, he might actually stretch his lower back.

Confirmed- currently has a hot pack on his back on the bench

Red is finding his way and I think he will be fine. Three things I would do immediately- 1) you take a bad shot you are coming out immediately. 2) you sashay to a 50/50 ball, close out, rebound, transition D whatever - you are coming out. 3) and tougher to qualify but you play selfish you are coming out (hot dog pass, missed pass, etc).

Mental mistakes are going to happen especially as it doesn't seem anyone's basketball IQ is off the charts (thanks again AAU culture), but lazy and selfish we can't have and Red needs to stomp on that quick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom