A Couple of Thoughts..... | Syracusefan.com

A Couple of Thoughts.....

newmexicuse

All Conference
Yesterday's Game was a mixed bag. Sure we got the victory, but this should have been a 20+ point cakewalk against a team that has only won once season to date.

Several things stand out for me:

1. The biggie is the continued resurgence of DC2. He is starting to show the skills that made him such a big get when he was recruited. I think if he can average something like 10 & 7 going forward that will make the difference between us going dancing or not this season. I love Lydon as much as the next guy on this forum, but anybody who thinks we can win against an ACC schedule with him playing 25 + minutes in the middle must be in the market for this bridge I have for sale out here in New Mexico.

2. Howard - I like what this kid brings to the table off the bench. He plays smart and he plays within himself. he sees the floor well and he is unselfish, yet he can take a lane to the hole. All he needs is something of an outside shot to become a significant player. With Kaleb continuing to disappoint, Frank may be just what the doctor ordered to give us at least some backcourt depth.

3. The D - the interior D was pathetic, I never saw so many oops in my life. I do not think that this game was an anomaly in that regard. Any team with a big strong player at the 4 or 5 spot will be tough on us. The big issue here is that the college game has evolved, so it forces us to extend the Zone to defend multiuple three point shooters that almost every team now has. As the Zone extends the interior opens up. Simply put, we do not have the right personnel to play the Zone in the modern college game. Gotta have that 7 footer in the middle and gotta have very long, quick wings. We have none of the above. When Lydon is in the middle, yeah, we get a few blocks, but at the cost of being significantly out-muscled. DC2 at least plays tough and owns his ground, but he lacks the lateral quickness to cover spaces as the wings extend. I do not like when we aren't far enough out to really defend the three line, but yet we are too far out to help inside. This year we have to pick our poison, but let's not give our opponents both. On a positive note, the D did create a lot of TOs, but there is no way we get that many against better competition.

4. Nice games from G & Cooney. Lydon is becoming more consistent. Malachi showed what he is capable of when he took over the start of the 2nd half. Problem was he did nothing for the other 35 minutes We do not need him to take over games, but he does need to be more consistent.

5. Hop - I know under these circumstances that he will not depart too much from JB's style. Really he is just trying to hold the fort. His only change, which seems to be a big positive, is moving Frank ahead of Kaleb in the rotation. Not sure why Obokoh did not get off the pine after his big game against this level of competition. I still have no idea if this kid can at least be of some help. We all know DC2 can't play 32+ minutes, and there will be games when Lydon just doesn't matchup at all well in the 5 spot. Can Obokoh be a 5 to 10 minute answer sometimes ? That was my one complaint with Hop for now. It will be very interesting to see what he does when he is totally his own man.

5. Hop - I know under these circumstances that he will not depart too much from JB's style. Really he is just trying to hold the fort. His only change, which seems to be a big positive, is moving Frank ahead of Kaleb in the rotation. Not sure why Obokoh did not get off the pine after his big game against this level of competition. I still have no idea if this kid can at least be of some help. We all know DC2 can't play 32+ minutes, and there will be games when Lydon just doesn't matchup at all well in the 5 spot. Can Obokoh be a 5 to 10 minute answer sometimes ? That was my one complaint with Hop for now. It will be very interesting to see what he does when he is totally his own man.

Don't be confused by the game against Montana State. The fact that Obokoh never even got up yesterday tells you the coaching staff has determined that he can't be a help to us. He will only play in ACC play in an "in case of emergency break glass" kind of situation.

Don't be confused by the game against Montana State. The fact that Obokoh never even got up yesterday tells you the coaching staff has determined that he can't be a help to us. He will only play in ACC play in an "in case of emergency break glass" kind of situation.
Even if that is true, you still have to get him ready for that role by giving him some minutes against the cupcakes. I am not saying the kid can or can't help, I am just saying I haven't seen enough to have an opinion. Yes, I know the staff sees him practice every day and knows much more than I do out here in NM, but sometimes kids develop if given opportunity. As the season goes on, trust me, we will see games where DC2 is off, in foul trouble, or injured and can only play limited by minutes and where Lydon gets tossed around at the 5 like a ragdoll - if Obokoh can't help in those situations why is he even on scholie ?

I'd add one thing to newmexi's list: SU players tipped or batted loose balls to teammates rather than grabbing them with one hand and fumbling or losing possession as they have in the past. That enabled them to start fast breaks take good transition shots. Wonder if that was Hop-original coaching? If so, we need to see more of that in future games.-VBOF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom